Missing My Dad

Help Support CattleToday:

fit2btied

Reaction score
Today, Feb. 6, would have been my dad's 81st birthday. We lost him to cancer in '96 at age 66, three years after he retired. Tagged and banded a new calf by myself this morning - sure brought back a lot of great memories! :D :heart: :D If my kids and grandkids think I'm even half the Dad and Grandpa the 'Ol Man' was, I'll be happy!

fit2btied":1k8h5u7n said:
Today, Feb. 6, would have been my dad's 81st birthday. We lost him to cancer in '96 at age 66, three years after he retired. Tagged and banded a new calf by myself this morning - sure brought back a lot of great memories! :D :heart: :D If my kids and grandkids think I'm even half the Dad and Grandpa the 'Ol Man' was, I'll be happy!
Its good that you have a dad you think that much of. My dad and brother are my best friends. Not a day goes by I don't talk to Pop. I just couldn't imagine life without him.

Almost lost my Dad yesterday. They had to fly him out of here with a heartattack and his lungs full of fluid. I just talked to him tho and he is doing very well in the Hospital in Colo Springs. I am headed there tomorrow to be with him and bring him home when he is released. I don't wish my yesterday on anyone.

3waycross":10cg8uyn said:
Almost lost my Dad yesterday. They had to fly him out of here with a heartattack and his lungs full of fluid. I just talked to him tho and he is doing very well in the Hospital in Colo Springs. I am headed there tomorrow to be with him and bring him home when he is released. I don't wish my yesterday on anyone.
Your family is in our thoughts and prayers!

fit2btied":3q7gjq1o said:
3waycross":3q7gjq1o said:
Your family is in our thoughts and prayers!
I lost my dad fourty one years ago this week. My children never knew him, only my stories about him. I feel the same way you do about your dad. I was never able to fill his shoes.

I lost my dad 2 years ago next month, he was without a doubt my best friend. I don't think there is a day that goes by that I don't think of him. Every time I run up on a problem, I ask myself what would he have done.

When something is worrying me, I have always found that if I find something to do and keep busy, I can at least get it off my mind for a little while. You would have never known if something was worrying him, unless it was me and then I would find out real quick, but looking back on it now I know why he worked so hard alot of the times.

still got my dad and hate to imagine the day he is gone.he taught me all about being unselfish and hard work.i see too many dads nowadays who complain about there kids but do the same crap themselves.lead by example and most often your kids will follow.

fit2btied":mj3ex2nz said:

I'm sure you make your Dad and Grandpa proud every day and this thread is one more example why.

Larry

The greatest gift I ever had came from God; I call him Dad.

How fortunate for those of you that still have your fathers here with you and sympathies to those of you that have lost yours. I lost my Dad March of 2005 and I miss him every day.

3waycross":3uhil3j7 said:

Sorry to hear that 3 way. Hope he continues to good recovery. I guess we all tend to think Dad will live forever. I know I did. Sure miss the old rascal. ;-)

TexasBred":2bwm01zd said:
3waycross":2bwm01zd said:

Sorry to hear that 3 way. Hope he continues to good recovery. I guess we all tend to think Dad will live forever. I know I did. Sure miss the old rascal. ;-)

Thanks TB it was incredibly frustrating not to go there with him but I had to work on Sunday and could not get out of it. The good news is he is much better today. He has COPD and is on oxygen 24/7 and has been for a while. Sadly ne never touched a cigarette in his life but between growing up on the farm(dust and chemicals) and drilling teeth for 40 yrs without a mask his lungs are shot and he has been declining rapidly for the last year. He is only 80 and has sibs that have lived well into their 90's but he won't and it really sucks.
As most of you know it's real tuff to see some who set you on your first horse and then picked you up when you fell off and put you up again fall apart before your eyes. Like most folks I always thought he was larger than life and I suppose seeing him decline makes me feel my own mortality that much more.

Time to man up and deal with it.

Mine has been gone since 1970. My world has not been the same since. I had no idea how much of an influence he was until he was gone. Sadly, he didn't know either.
The only thing we can do is realize that it's up to you now and do your best. Take the good you got from them and try to build on it. That is the best way to honor them.

My Dad died 17 years ago, he was on a bike ride with his bike club, had a major heart attack-what I miss most about my Dad is his very dry sense of humor-plus he drove my younger brother nuts! :)

GMN

Latest posts