misinformation

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
I may not know it all and if I post something that is factually wrong I expect to be corrected. It seems recently when things are posted that could be misconstrued by people just browsing. People should not get mad when they are corrected. There are alot of professionals here and they need to chime in when these subjects come up.

What thread is this stink all about? I'm going to have to quit skipping threads that don;t sound interesting so I can keep up!

M5farm":28woe0wn said:
I may not know it all and if I post something that is factually wrong I expect to be corrected. It seems recently when things are posted that could be misconstrued by people just browsing. People should not get mad when they are corrected. There are alot of professionals here and they need to chime in when these subjects come up.
I am not a professional or any kind of expert but at times I do see some mis-information. I usually just hope that Dun, Lucky_P, or some of the real professionals will correct it. I try my very best not to tell someone they are wrong. :hide:

Kenny that's admirable but sometimes people need to be told the truth. Now they don't have to do it but at least when they fail they will have a new starting point. Telling someone they are wrong does not have to be mean.

M5farm":2mwk4wz2 said:
Kenny that's admirable but sometimes people need to be told the truth. Now they don't have to do it but at least when they fail they will have a new starting point. Telling someone they are wrong does not have to be mean.
Other than a jest I dont post in many of the topic's that are not cattle related. I dont know about lots of things but I know a little about cows. But I still ask questions and learn a lot. I PM a couple of people on here with specific questions and have learned a lot. If my memory was just better I might not have to ask them.

I am referring to the cattle threads. Sometimes people post things that a newbie could take as the right thing to do and it could cause them to lose money or worse lose an animal. Even though protocols maybe different everyone should correct the misinformation.

dun":3fpmqlsx said:
What thread is this stink all about? I'm going to have to quit skipping threads that don;t sound interesting so I can keep up!

I think there must be a whole section of CT we're not seeing... I'm totally lost about all this too

Nesikep":19e26643 said:
dun":19e26643 said:

I think there must be a whole section of CT we're not seeing... I'm totally lost about all this too[/quote

Not sure if M5 had any specific topic for his comment but my comments are just in general. I see things that I feel leads a newbee down the wrong path or maybe even someone thats been in cattle a while. Advice on Meds is one of the ones I notice the most. I don't give advice on meds without seeing the cattle. By that I mean advice about sick cattle. General vaccines or procedures I will comment on. But all that said, always look at my signiture.

Nothing in particular at this time. There was a thread the other day that suggested some breeding protocol that to a newbie would seem like a good idea but could Create some problems if it were followed. A lot of stuff is just opinions anyway.

M5farm":10wb2o8g said:
Nothing in particular at this time. There was a thread the other day that suggested some breeding protocol that to a newbie would seem like a good idea but could Create some problems if it were followed. A lot of stuff is just opinions anyway.
Just some stuff the land grant university's got us past back in the 50's

M5farm":2kdd4fdc said:

Lots of strange stuff going on here tonight, not sure what's going on with Hook and Sky, don't want to know. Although I saw sky's stray dog post and I will say in all honesty I agree with him 100%. Sometimes things happen for a reason that we only guess as to why.... My words not sky's.

Sorry for the hijack M5, with your post it's an issue that has bugged me a lot in the past and now I have just given up on trying to swim up stream. So is why I hardly post anything on cattle these days. I'm a long ways from being a professional, but I was lucky enough to learn from of the best who came and gone and are still here on CT. But M5 is right on, some bad info on here that gets an"atta boy" reply then to a newbie it comes off as gospel. My :2cents: and rant.

Alan

The worst example thought he/she was dog's gift to newbies and used to start threads offering them the advantage of its sage advice.
I decided way back then not to employ the 'foe' tool against those individuals I'd rather not be reading. It's better seen and corrected than left unchallenged; and in some instances there really are only a handful of people on the boards that can correct the :bs: - where it relates to bottle calves for example, or is a little more scientific than the average rancher's knowledge.
I guess we all know there's many a thread where bad advice goes unchallenged, never really going to change esp. when you account for the range of climate/soils/topography &c Heard an old farmer say once his mentor used to tell him there's twenty ways of doing a thing and they're all right. I've turned that quote over and over in my brain trying to work it out in the ten years since I heard it, and I still think it's wrong.

Nesikep":10luyimk said:
20 ways of doing something.. all of them WRONG! I think that's a more reasonable statement... especially around here!

There's always the given few who just can't wait to correct me, debate me, clarify my statements, and screw it all up. We are perfectly capable of turning a 1 minute conversation into hours or debate and get completely outside the subject or bring up an error from 5 years ago.

I am no expert either. I have no credibility. Sure enjoy reading this forum tho.

Latest posts