miscarriages

Help Support CattleToday:

kwh

Reaction score
we have had two cows miscarry this week. they have been vaccinated for lepto. does anyone have any ideas on what else it my be. Would white mold on hay cause this.

Moldy feed can cause abortions, but I am unsure as to what term of pregnancy they are the most vulnerable. Last year my neighbor had nine 2nd calvers abort in just a couple weeks, vet blamed it on moldy silage. They were in the third trimester. I wouldn't think a small amount of mold would be the culprit if they have other good feed available.

Abortions....in the US, brucellosis, lepto, IBR, mycotic placentitis (moldy feed) BVD, trauma ie chased by coyotes etc, chlamydia?, bacterial and probably some others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head cause we don't have them. In Canada, drop the brucellosis.

My vet has been vaccinating every bred cow I buy against lepto. All the cows have been heavy 7,8 months bred. Is he not suppose to be vaccanating these cows this heavy bred?

Lepto vaccine is safe for any stage of pregnancy. Like V the V said, there are many causes, the thing is, if you have another one, I sure would get a vet involved to find the cause. Maybe too late to protect this years calf crop, but you need to know what to do to prevent a problem next year. Lepto is only one vaccine that should be administered to cows prior to breeding season. If nothing else, check with your vet to see what you should be vaccinating for in your area. Many of the causes V the V listed are preventable through vaccines.
Vaccines are one of those things that you never see the benefit, but you sure can see the loss when you don't vaccinate.

Latest posts