Minor Crisis (Preg-gaurd)

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hello board,

This has just come to my attention, and I thought I would run it past you all. Grandfather notified me yesterday that when running his heifers through, he had one of his first calf hiefers get through the head-gate. To make a long story short, she did not recieve her preg-gaurd shot. This group of heifers has since been turned loose on pasture a fair distance from the home place. I was amazed he hadnt told me of this situation sooner, as I would have done my best to retrieve the elusive heifer and get her the shot. He turned the bulls loose yesterday. Would it do me any good to set up the porta corral, bring her in, and give her the preg-gaurd even though the allowed time period has passed? (Administer shot 30 days prior to breeding.)

Thanks for your input.

If she's bred it may cause her to abort. She could miss the next cycle too so she might turn up open or with a late calf. I think I would ask my vet what he thought about catching her up now before I gave it to her. Good Luck.

I would let her go, and if you round up later for some reason, give her a KILLED vaccine. Your vet should be able to sell ya a dose in a syringe and keep it in the fridge till you need it. The neighbor 3 miles away just gives 'em preg guard everyother year. Did you use the Preg Guard FP Gold? Or just like Preg Guard 9. They have different instructions.

Dee;

We vacinated with Preg-Gaurd gold. It does say on the bottle, that as long as the critter has been vaccinated with any Bovi-Shield FP vaccine within the past 12 months, it is safe to vaccinate a pregnant cow.

She did recieve Preg-Gaurd as a heifer, although it was not administered by us,......so I really cant be 100% sure. Also, she recieved the scour boss / scour bos 9 booster. (Not sure if this qualifies as "any Bovi-Shield FP Vaccine")

Probably end up just letting her go this year.

"Pfizer Preg Guard Gold FP10 - For vaccination of healthy, non-pregnant cows and heifers as an aid in preventing disease caused by IBR, BVD 1 and 2, PI3, Vibrio and the 5 most common strains of Lepto. May be administered to pregnant cattle provided they were vaccinated within the last 12 months according to label directions. May be administered to calves nursing pregnant cows provided their dams were vaccinated as described above within the last 12 months. Dosage: 2ml IM one month prior to breeding or being added to the herd, Follow with Vibrio/Lepto 2-4 weeks later. Revaccinate annually. 21 day withdrawal."

Sorry, my point was to make sure you don't vaccinate HER calf if it's still on the cow, since the cow didn't get the shot.