Minimum-Wage Hike

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC

Reaction score
It doesn't help the economy, it hurts it by putting more pressure on small businesses like yours. I can't remember the exact figures, but I read a study not long ago that said that every time the minimum wage is raised X amount of people lose their jobs. Most of the people making minimum wage are teens who aren't going to be in that particular job very long anyway. It's a vote getting scheme, nothing more, and it's no coincidence that most minimum wage hikes come in an election year.

With increases in minimum wage, often there are increases in union wages. The increase in wages then increases the cost of the product as well as the taxes that must be paid by the business owner.

Katherine

This is a brilliant move by those who want to devalue the dollar even more. Heck, why don't we just set minimum wage at $1 million per year. Just think of windfall in tax revenues. Of course, we might end up like the germans were in WWII and have to take a wheel barrow full of money to buy a loaf of bread. Good thinking on someone's part. Maybe they triple the economic stimulus package next year and double the unearned income tax credits as well.

I would sure hate to try living on minimum wage you wouldn't take home enough to fill up with gas.

I agree but I don't see this as the answer. Problem I see is the weak dollar. Raising minimum wage is just going to raise the cost of goods sold thus devaluing the dollar even more. This is a vote getter.

Red Bull Breeder":pz0nrt0x said:
I would sure hate to try living on minimum wage you wouldn't take home enough to fill up with gas.

You are right RBB minimum wage is starvation wages, but that was true when it was $2 an hour . Raising minimum wage never seems to help those at the bottom . Years ago we owned a small convenience store and every time they raised minimum wage it was hard to come up with the extra cash to pay it . In the end we had to charge more to cover the costs . It's just a never ending cycle .

Larry

Minimum wage is just a political stunt. I believe that people will be paid what they are worth. Some are worth more than minimum wage, some are worth less...

everything went up enough to absorb the wage increase.so people are still living on less than they was 25yrs ago.

Red Bull Breeder":msmz5eyl said:

The minimum wage is not supposed to be a "living" wage. Minimum wage jobs are supposed to be for the high school / college kids to be used as a stepping stone to better paying jobs and careers. The most valuable thing of all that is gathered from minimum wage jobs......is experience.....that is worth the low pay cause without it you can't move up.

Folks they is parts of this country where thats about the only job you are going to get. I no people that have worked at the same jobs all there life and for some of them that has been a while, this minimum wage hike will be the most they ever earned. And they ain't on welfare..

Red Bull Breeder":22e2thpi said:
Folks they is parts of this country where thats about the only job you are going to get. I no people that have worked at the same jobs all there life and for some of them that has been a while, this minimum wage hike will be the most they ever earned. And they ain't on welfare..

I think it takes a sorry individual to work someone their whole lives and only pay minimum wage. But on the other side of the coin, there are a lot of people who can't get the better paying jobs cause they won't clean up their act so they can pass the drug test. I got no sympathy for this type person. I believe that you make your own reality. If you are clean and honest there is always work to be had if you want it bad enough. Heck, a paintbrush and a step ladder can set about anyone up in their own business - if they don't mind work.

Red Bull Breeder":sqxkjieo said:
They need to move. You are missing the point. If you raise min wage prices of goods go up as well. So they have made nothing more than what they did before.

Is there any places for sale or rent in your neighborhood? They will be making $234 a week for 40 hours.

I am not missing the point. i no how it all works and yes some might think the people i am talking about should move. Of couarse that could be why rural America is almost no more. The price of alot of the things that you all are talking about won't effect these people very much they are used to doing without it any way. You see the extra few bucks these people get will help them. And it won't break the jerk sob's they work to have to pay it. That is why i have been self employed for 30 years. I like where i live and i won't work for the jerks.