Miniature horses

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgurl1184

Reaction score
I recently purchase a mini mare reg with the AMHR and know very little about them. She is a three year old (April) and they ran her with a stud from June to Dec. I vet checked her and she isnt bred should I be concerned? thank you!

I wouln't worry too much about it. It is possible that she has a problem but she is young, just try again. Did you ask the vet if anything seem wrong when you had her checked?

I wouldn't really worry much either. Remember she's a young mare and only 3 years old and the stallion might not be experienced for breeding or maybe not even fit.

You may also want the vet to culture her if you are planning on breeding her. An infection would keep her from settling.

Alan

i mostly stick to rodeo and cattle but about 6 years ago i started breeding minis and for a 3 y/o mare to be running with a stallion not be bred is 100% normal minis do not usually except to breeding till they are 4 y/o i usually dont breed mine till they are 5 y/o while they are young i show them cause you are not allowed to show bred mares so this is totally normal for your mare dont worry just wait till she is around 4 to 4 1/2 y/o and then try to breed her she should except on the second heat with the stallion :cboy:

my mini mare did not take till 5 yrs of age. mini's seem to need to mature more before they are ready and when she does deliver, keep an eye on her, smaller pelvics, mini mares need more help than full size horses. my mom had to help my mare deliver, even if its just to push a foot loose. (my mares baby's hoof was stuck, my mom just touched it enough to pop loose) phoenix was throwing herself to the ground trying to get the baby to move, a little helping hand was all she needed to deliver a healthy baby.

good luck with your girl.

Latest posts