Miniature Hereford Born Yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

KATHYWEEKS

Reaction score
:D
This is my first calf...Isn't it cute?

POUNDOAKBABY.jpg
[/img]

Kathy, he is VERY cute...did you weigh him when he was born? As your first, you'll never forget him. How many miniature herefords do you have?

GOTTA CATCH'EM FIRST! Any suggection how you go about that? We tried last night. I've got stickers and brambles stuck all over me. Figuered we'd try again this evening. We have a lot of woods on our property and they love running right to the thickest part.
I have 2 cows. Both of which were sold to me bred. This is the first one to have her baby. The other should be along shortly. Got any ideas on how to catch it? Also not even sure if its a male or female. Any way to tell from a distance? :?:

Head look like a little bull calf to me...also see whats is semi hiding behind the branch! Looks like his stuff.....unless he has an infected navel. MK

My guess is a bull calf. Do you have a smaller area to lure the cows into (with grain pehaps?). Are the adults at all tame? After a few days, some calves quickly learn that those 2-legged things are up to no good, time to get up and run! Sometimes it's easier to "catch" them when it's dark, but be careful, the mother might be protective...small maybe, but they still have what it takes to do some damage when it comes to you interfering with their offspring. It's safer to get them in a corral or pen and let them get used to you if you want to be able to handle them.

Since I couldn't get close enough to see the backside of our calfs I thought we had a couple of little bulls until I saw them pee, which usually comes shortly after nursing. When the stream was obviously coming from the back rather than under I realized we had heifers.

Real scientific and experienced (NOT) :D

kathyweeks,

Entice mom with a little sweet feed in a pan..usually the calf will hang around her giving bonding time with you. Usually a few times and they will become rather gentle and always likes back rubs...if mom doesn't mind. CAUTION..be careful some mom's don't like it.

If you just want to catch him to tag him and check them quickly, then I've found a rope to work, as long as mom isn't around or you can distract her for a minute or two! But we mainly use the bucket method, as all our cows come to the feed bucket, and where mama goes, little one is sure to follow! Just lead them into a pen with some cubes and then close gate behind them.

Congratulations! Thats a cute calf :) I cant wait till I have my first too.

I just know I'm gonna be a nervous wreck when it gets close to time :)

cmfiddler":106vyvv8 said:
Since I couldn't get close enough to see the backside of our calfs I thought we had a couple of little bulls until I saw them pee, which usually comes shortly after nursing. When the stream was obviously coming from the back rather than under I realized we had heifers.

Real scientific and experienced (NOT) :D

Hey, I support what works!!

Kathy, you're baby is absolutely darling. If you don't mind my asking, what does one do with a minature cow and calf? I don't know the first thing about the minature breeds market and I'm curious. Thanks!

My first goal was to increase my head count. I was hoping for females to keep and rebreed. But now with a little bull, I'm really not sure what to do. The 2 momma cows are 4 and 6 years old. So I'm wondering if I should keep them and maybe trade or sell my bull for a different one. Or keep him and put them in seperate pastures when the time comes.

My other cow is pregnant and due soon too. I'm hoping for a little heifer.

I really need a mini bull to breed to my 2 females.

To answer your question. My end goal is to sell them to other mini breeders or as "pets. Not sure what the market holds, as this is my first go round at it. But hey, I was crazy enough to buy a pair...there has to be more out there like me????

Time will tell.

If not, we'll be having steak for dinner!

I wasn't being critical, I'm sorry if it came across that way. I have never seen a miniature cow, but I've seen miniature horses around here and, while they are cute as the dickens, I just couldn't figure out what one would do with them. As far as steak for dinner, I'm thinking that's going to be one small steak! But, I could be wrong...won't be the first time, darn sure won't be the last! Thanks for the reply. :)

Didn't think you were being "critical"...
I'm just new to all this and I really don't know what to expect. No offense taken.

KATHYWEEKS":22l80al2 said:
Didn't think you were being "critical"...
I'm just new to all this and I really don't know what to expect. No offense taken.

Expect the best, but prepare for the worst and you will be in good shape! Were you able to catch your cows?

Kathy;
Congrats on the new calf.
My 2 cents worth.
Sell the bull. Keep the cows. Sounds like you don't have a bull, you can check and probably borrow one from someone to breed your two cows to. There are more people than you might think here in Texas with Miniature Herefords. I have some here in north Texas and I also have some down in South Texas.

Latest posts