Mini Jersey as homestead cow

Help Support CattleToday:

AllHat

Reaction score
Hi, I found this forum though a internet search and hoping you will help me out. I know little to nothing about cattle. Please remember that last part. If you use big terms or bovine initials, I'm not likely to know what you are talking about.

I would like a family milk cow and thinking a mini jersey would be our best choice. We have 100 acres that we lease out for beef cattle (to keep our Ag exemption). The pastures are rotated, baled, but not cultivated/sown. I do not know what the protein percentage is from our bales.

Can minis be raised on pasture alone? If not, would alphalfa be a good suppliment? If so how much would I need. Do cows need the same consideration as goats and horses when introduced to higher protein feeds?

Could my cow run with the beef herd or will it be too difficult to separate her twice daily from the herd? If not, do the minis have problems with predators because of their small stature?

What is a good price for a family milk cow of this breed? I've done some research and found a few breeders within a few hours of me. I would really like to hear some feed back and get a better understanding of what I'm getting myself into before contacting them tho. Any help or advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thank you- L

Yes, you can have it as a family cow. I would not worry about predators. It's up to you if it would be to hard to separate it from the herd, but cows are very easily trained. You could give the jersey some grain with every milking, and after a week she will come running. Also she will make more milk with a little grain.

Thank you so much. I've been able to find a bit more info this afternoon.... Raising one milker rather then a ranching endeavor. I sure do appreciate your time. Good luck in all you do, L

baxter78":1m9i8c5b said:
AllHat":1m9i8c5b said:
Thank you so much. I've been able to find a bit more info this afternoon.... Raising one milker rather then a ranching endeavor. I sure do appreciate your time. Good luck in all you do, L

Cows dont like being by themselves. Some moo incessantly when separated and some become wild. If you are going to get one get another so they can be buddies.

I agree...

Thank you. That's why I was wondering if they could run with the other cows. It's just now dawned on me that once the others have gone to market, my dairy cow would be alone again. I thought I've heard that cows will bond as well to other livestock, like horses or goats. Is that true for most?

AllHat":3hpln1ov said:
Thank you. That's why I was wondering if they could run with the other cows. It's just now dawned on me that once the others have gone to market, my dairy cow would be alone again. I thought I've heard that cows will bond as well to other livestock, like horses or goats. Is that true for most?

Get a goat to keep her company.

Might want to check out this forum:
http://familycow.proboards32.com/index.cgi

Cows do prefer to have bovine company, but they can get along without it. Big difference between tame halter-broke milk cow you work with twice a day alone in a pasture and wild brahman cross cow alone in a pasture.

dun":3ild25yc said:
AllHat":3ild25yc said:

Get a goat to keep her company.

Did ya know that "back in the day" they used to put a fainting goat with their prize livestock so that when predators come the goat gets scared and "faints" (actually their muscles lock up and they fall over) so the prize animal can get away...

I found a book on amazon 'keeping a family cow', the table of contents looks as if it's going to cover most a lot of my simpler questions. But I like the feedback here so I may be double checking some of the facts with ya'll.

That's interesting about the fainting goats. I've always assumed their traits were bred for novelty alone.

Does anyone happen to have an opinion as to when the best time to purchase would be? After calving, dry or before winter? Is the economy making it a good or bad time to purchase?

I recently saw a Jersey for sale, 3 out of 4 teats were dry and they still wanted 800 for her. I can appreciate their honesty about her condition but that seemed a bit high for her.

We have Jersey cows and have always had a family cow for over 30 years. A good Jersey cow will be expensive. $800 is cheap. Do you know how old she is? When did she freshen? And is she bred now?
We have had cows with only 3 quarters in the past, and they gave us more than enough milk. Some times you can get a cow from a dairy that has lost a quarter and not producing enough milk to warrant keeping for a fair price.

A grade Jersey that is fresh sells for over $1500 here. The miniatures cost much much more. Jerseys are great cattle. They are smart and have definite personalities.

Get a mini donkey to keep it company. They are good companion animals and are easy keepers. You can find then ranging in price from free to thousands of dollars depending on what you want. They are good hobby farm animals and usually are pretty gentle. Get a gelding or a jennie, not an intact male. Geldings are cheap.

First question is how much milk do you need, and how much does a mini-Jersey give?

Second, what is the quality of these mini cattle? Sometimes when people can get thousands of $ for a novelty animal, they'll sell stuff they shouldn't, especially to beginners. Beware of an older animal – you never know why they're selling. When I was a newby I bought a 5 year old 3-teated Jersey from a dairy. They said she had a "light teat". After freshening, she got mastitis in other quarters and I learned she had a chronic Staph mastitis which the dairy treated unsuccessfully. Then it spread to her other quarters after I got her.

I'm assuming you don't need several gallons of milk daily since you're getting none now. I'd suggest you get a couple of gentle beef cows like Herefords and learn to milk them. A lot cheaper than what you're considering. If you keep them emptied, they'll produce more milk than their calf needs. You could breed them to a quality Jersey bull via AI for just a few bucks if you want a cow with more milk.

There are problems with pure dairy cattle – production beyond your needs, pendulous udders, udder edema, milk fever (more in Jerseys), etc. Milk is not free, so if you get too much you're wasting feed. If you want a beef calf, you lose some growth if the cow has no beef breeding in her.

I milk a Jersey/Lowline Angus cow who is smaller (46" tall). I breed her AI to a lowline bull for a quite beefy calf.

*crawling under a rock* :oops:

Keren, you are correct. I skimmed the post and read it backwards about the teat. I read it as 3 good ones.

However, if she is in good flesh for a dairy cow and looks healthy, she will bring close to $800. at the livestock auction barn just because she is a Jersey. Some buyers do not take into consideration that she may be a dud.

baxter78":2iko3k2s said:
Also how are you planning to breed this cow? Ai can be expensive. You do realize you have to breed her and make her preggo and then take the calf away or leave the calf on her which ever you choose otherwise she is not going to be a milk machine. NO CALF=NO UDDER= NO MILK

Good point. I've had to explain to several people the importance of getting my cow bred emphasizing that milk's original purpose was to feed the offspring. I'm essentially stealing from a baby.

My mother raises miniatures. She crosses Dexters with Jerseys. They make excellent little cows. The cross is called an Irish Belmont. Miniature Jerseys are very expensive. Semen can cost over $100 per straw. If cost is a factor I would go with Dexter cow. They are a true miniature, dual purpose for either milk or meat, good dispositions and easily trainable. I think we have a Dexter breeder that frequents this board. She might be able to point you in the right direction.

Regular Jersey cows will fetch 1500 to 2500 depending on age and condition. Dairy farmers that raise Holstiens will put a few Jerseys in the herd to raise the butter fat content of the milk.

Latest posts