Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus

Reaction score
I cannot seem to get my cows to consume free choice minerals. I used hi mag minerals from tsc ( they didnt touch it 100 lbs in mineral feeder ) threw it out after 90 days and replaced it with Top Shelf Hi-mag minerals from local feed store and they still havent touched it , any suggestions ? I'm a all grass operation

Where is the mineral located? It needs to be near the water source, at least for us, that works. Ir where they gather. Our cows go through spells, and will hit it hard at times and then not touch it for weeks. Do you have salt out too?

Its 20 yds from water source and where I fed hay all winter ( they bed there now ) . Yes I have salt blocks everywhere and they do go through those , I buy the red colored salt blocks

I mix salt with my mineral.. I found about 2/3 salt, 1/3 mineral mix has worked well for me. Try taking their salt blocks away for a while, and they might get used to the mineral mix after that. Sometimes they only think they don't like it because they've never tried it... Think of little kids!.. "that sounds gross... ewww... it's green"... That is a cow!. I've had to forcefeed carrots and apples to some of my heifers to get them to like them...

I cannot seem to get my cows to consume free choice minerals. I used hi mag minerals from tsc ( they didnt touch it 100 lbs in mineral feeder ) threw it out after 90 days and replaced it with Top Shelf Hi-mag minerals from local feed store and they still havent touched it , any suggestions ? I'm a all grass operation

I prefer for my cow to eat natural foods for them. I prefer them to eat grass as their foods.

I used to keep my salt block and my mineral feeder separate, but decided a while back to set the block in the middle of the feeder. They are consuming a lot more mineral since doing this and it's about 100 yards away from water.

Gleedaniel13":1sgvvtir said:

I prefer for my cow to eat natural foods for them. I prefer them to eat grass as their foods.
Minerals are "natural". Some are just in the grass and some in a concentrated mineral supplement.

I switched to Wind & Rain by Purina a couple years ago and quit having problems with consumption. I used medicated Fly control at fly time and the medicated non fly in winter. B&G

This time of year just before green grass is the time to get mag in to the cows. If they won't eat granular mineral, a molasses based lick or mineral tub with mag in it usually is a sure fire way to get cows to consume it.

That said, if your cows won't eat one mineral, try a bag of another brand on them. My cows were pretty consistent about their consumption of Vigortone or Kay Dee mineral. Also had good luck with Ranch Hand mineral tubs. Other brands are probably OK, but I have no experience with them.

Late fall through winter when grass is dormant is crunch time as far as their mineral consumption. When green grass comes, not so much. Has been freezing hard here every night for the past few days, but warmer temps coming next week should make the new grass explode.

I must point out I strongly disagree with the post that alludes to cattle can get all the minerals they require from grass. Especially right now with the grass just starting to green up, to follow that advice is a potential recipe for disaster.

Be safe rather than sorry. Get some mag into those mama cows, preferbably BEFORE going to the new grass. Mag is not necessary for non-lactating animals. :2cents:

Pull the salt blocks. They'll eat the mineral mix then.
Those red 'trace-mineral' salt blocks aren't really much of a mineral supplement - not much in the way of 'trace minerals' in there, and the cows can't lick enough off the blocks to get what they really need.
And, depending upon where you're located and what your soil/forage mineral content is, they can actually make copper deficiency issues worse.
They're 'red' because iron oxide is added as a filler/coloring agent; iron deficiency is not an issue in most parts of North America - and iron oxide is not a form that cattle can absorb or use - but it can block copper absorption sites in the intestine.
It's a big enough problem here that most folks would be better off with a plain old white salt block than a red one - but a good, balanced, loose mineral mix, formulated for need in your area is better.
Above all, you must remember that mineral supplementation needs are LOCAL. What is ideal for someone in, say, CO or MT, will not be the ideal formulation for producers in KY, TN, etc.

Most quality mineral mixes are formulated with a certain % salt to encourage consumption, but limit consumption so they don't 'overconsume' the mineral.
Usually no need for additional salt - though I do have to 'cut' mine with salt during winter - we limit feed hay/ddg, so the cows are standing around, bored, for 20 hours or so waiting for their next feeding, and will overconsume mineral (I can't afford THAT!), just because they've got nothing else to do/eat.

I couldn't afford my cows eating just minerals, and I don't think they need it... Since I've been feeding it with 60-70% salt I've not had any more problems with RP, discolored fur, etc, so they must be getting what they need now.

And yes, it's LOCAL... Perhaps your cows aren't eating it because something about the formulation is wrong? If you have doubts, do a mineral blood test on a high producing animal in your herd.. and then that will help you choose what you need.

Thanks Lucky_P, that good to know about the red trace blocks. I actually just switched to Vitaferm Concept Aide a couple weeks ago. I put white block in the tub and dumped in the mineral. Did notice that the girls weren't to crazy about it so far but I think it might be kinda early. I think I might pull the blocks for the heifers this weekend and see what changes I get.

I to hate it to when you put out a $25-$30 50# bag of mineral for 30 cows and the next day it's gone. Ok maybe the just needed it. So pour out another bag. The next day or 2 it's gone. Ok time to add more salt.

They'll eat most any free choice mineral but I think to that if you have the blocks seperate from the loose they'll go for the salt blocks first. You could start by pulling the blocks and see how the intake changes. If it gets too high put the blocks in with the loose or mix with loose salt. Just need to experiment a little.

Ohrmundt Simmentals":3eo465u0 said:
Thanks Lucky_P, that good to know about the red trace blocks. I actually just switched to Vitaferm Concept Aide a couple weeks ago. I put white block in the tub and dumped in the mineral. Did notice that the girls weren't to crazy about it so far but I think it might be kinda early. I think I might pull the blocks for the heifers this weekend and see what changes I get.

I to hate it to when you put out a $25-$30 50# bag of mineral for 30 cows and the next day it's gone. Ok maybe the just needed it. So pour out another bag. The next day or 2 it's gone. Ok time to add more salt.

They'll eat most any free choice mineral but I think to that if you have the blocks seperate from the loose they'll go for the salt blocks first. You could start by pulling the blocks and see how the intake changes. If it gets too high put the blocks in with the loose or mix with loose salt. Just need to experiment a little.
Cattle don't eat a lb. of mineral a day because they need it or at least I've never seen it. Companies include things in the formulation to make it palatable and some simply go overboard with it guaranteeing increased intake. Cottonseed meal, DDG, and dried molasses are used most often down there. Get too much in there and they'll inhale the mineral. If you think you have a very good mineral otherwise, simply add some salt to limit consumptions or add a bit of DDG or CSM to increase consumption. It doesn't take a lot either way. Just a few lbs. (2-3) to make a difference.

TexasBred":3io28scd said:
Cattle don't eat a lb. of mineral a day because they need it or at least I've never seen it. Companies include things in the formulation to make it palatable and some simply go overboard with it guaranteeing increased intake. Cottonseed meal, DDG, and dried molasses are used most often down there. Get too much in there and they'll inhale the mineral. If you think you have a very good mineral otherwise, simply add some salt to limit consumptions or add a bit of DDG or CSM to increase consumption. It doesn't take a lot either way. Just a few lbs. (2-3) to make a difference.

Those big blue mineral tubs I buy must be HIGHLY PALATABLE because I am going through 4 or more tubs a month sometimes.

skyhightree1":306ckx2m said:
TexasBred":306ckx2m said:

Those big blue mineral tubs I buy must be HIGHLY PALATABLE because I am going through 4 or more tubs a month sometimes.
Bet your feed store loves you Sky. :lol:

TexasBred":30m6g70m said:
skyhightree1":30m6g70m said:
TexasBred":30m6g70m said:

Bet your feed store loves you Sky. :lol:

Feeling is not mutual :lol2:

skeeter swatter":1zwwpnjg said:
If they're not eating min it's either not the right min for your area , or they just don't need it.
Usually just that simple.
Sometimes....other times they want it and probably need it but it's simply too unpalatable to consume.

Latest posts