Mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":2sl9xddu said:
That Vita Ferm is good stuff Bandit80. Been using it for awhile now.

Which one are you using? I just got the Cattlemans Blend and will be giving it a try. It says 4 ounces a day per head, do you regulate it or just fill up a mineral feeder and let them have it free choice?

RD-Sam":2trftyt3 said:
Red Bull Breeder wrote:That Vita Ferm is good stuff Bandit80. Been using it for awhile now.

Which one are you using? I just got the Cattlemans Blend and will be giving it a try. It says 4 ounces a day per head, do you regulate it or just fill up a mineral feeder and let them have it free choice?

I use the Roughage Fortifier on our cattle summer through winter and the Cattlemens Blend in the spring... Good stuff...

I just got some Purina wind n rain. Looks like a coarse grind. They went right after it. Loose salt is finer ground than previous bag & they seem to like it better than the coarse.

I also have tm& plain salt blocks out. Some eat the loose than take a few licks on the blocks.

Mine are getting fed grass hay but are still in the pasture which is mostly woodlot.

Floyd":2asel244 said:
I just got some Purina wind n rain. Looks like a coarse grind. They went right after it. Loose salt is finer ground than previous bag & they seem to like it better than the coarse.

I also have tm& plain salt blocks out. Some eat the loose than take a few licks on the blocks.

Mine are getting fed grass hay but are still in the pasture which is mostly woodlot.
Glad they're eating it. Grass/hay normally doesn't contain everything they need and contains some things in excess of what's needed. The finer salt is probalby mixing salt as apposed to regular stock salt. The blocks probably just sort of attract them for a minute.

I just came across this interesting (if a bit old) thread. There is some good information and a lot of misconceptions about mineral posted here. I hope you don't mind me stepping in. I have been a mineral dealer for 20 years now. It's been fun and it is rewarding to help people understand how mineral works, how to feed it efficiently and make more money with your cows by utilizing a quality mineral program.

I'm glad TexasBred posted about mineral needing to contain MORE cal and less phos. We are learning all the time
that cattle need less phos than first thought. In fact, 3:1, 6:1 even 8:1 cal to phos is acceptable in certain
situations.

One reason cattle won't eat mineral is because it contains too much phos. Phos is a limiter. If you feed grain or grain hay, you can use a lower phos mineral. The cattle will eat it better, and you will save money, as phos is the most expensive ingredient in mineral. If cattle don't eat the mineral because it is bitter, they aren't getting the trace minerals they need. Some feed stores, who mainly sell feed and really don't understand mineral, still make 1:1 mineral. Cattle won't hardly touch it because it is so bitter.

Here is a little short course you might want to remember about mineral: Quality and quantity of forage dictates mineral consumption; in regards to Phos, cattle eat GRAMS not percents; quality mineral does not contain grain by-products.( Grain by-products are put in mineral to make it more palatable and to reduce the cost per bag of the mineral. It is for people who are more cost-conscience than quality conscience. IMO) Mineral containing grain by-products don't usually stand up to wet weather and a lot of it is wasted. Quality mineral contains Vitamin E and yeast culture. Remember to look at the INGREDIENTS, not just the % analysis. Most quality mineral is NOT coarse, because when it is coarse, it is not readily available to the cow. Which means it isn't easily broken-down and a lot of it is passed out, not utilized. So be careful when you buy mineral. There is a reason it is a fine grind. Cattle PERFORM on a quality mineral program; one that the ingredients can be readily utilized. They eat mineral in peaks and valleys. Figure your mineral consumption year-round. Trying to figure it out on a weekly or even monthly basis can drive you nuts. Keep it out, keep the stations from running out and you will see a huge difference in your cattle. And yes, haircoat is an indication of health.

Mineral is expensive, but pays for itself many ways. There just is a lot of misconception out there. If you have
questions, I would be happy to answer them to the best of my ability. I've been a member of ranchers.net for a long, long time and we've had many mineral discussions there.

And, BTW, Vigortone mineral does contain Amaferm. ;-)

faster horses":4rfjchwe said:
I just came across this interesting (if a bit old) thread. There is some good information and a lot of misconceptions about mineral posted here. I hope you don't mind me stepping in. I have been a mineral dealer for 20 years now. It's been fun and it is rewarding to help people understand how mineral works, how to feed it efficiently and make more money with your cows by utilizing a quality mineral program.

I'm glad TexasBred posted about mineral needing to contain MORE cal and less phos. We are learning all the time
that cattle need less phos than first thought. In fact, 3:1, 6:1 even 8:1 cal to phos is acceptable in certain
situations.

Welcome to CT, FH. Always enjoy your post over on Ranchers. I agree with your entire post with one exception. In my mind I could never justify yeast in a mineral due to the low inclusion rate and the low consumption rate of the mineral. AND yeast begins to degrade the minute the "yeast bag" is opened. A huge amount of the CFU's will be inactive very shortly after the mineral is mixed. AMAFERM on the other hand I love. Has a very low feeding rate (3 gr. per head per day) I believe and It is not activated until it hits the rumen. Always worth the small extra charge to include it. Keep mineral out all the time....use a good mineral and pay attention to your cattle. ;-)

Thanks for the welcome, guys!! Loved your emoticons, John SD. :nod: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We need that 'beating a dead horse' emoticon for flounder, over on ranchers.net. In fact, I wish we
had some of these emoticons over there! :arrow:

Not taking anything away from Amaferm, but the distillers grains in Vigortone mineral is there to keep the yeast active. I do need to clarify something I posted yesterday evening (since it doesn't look like I can go back and edit). Amaferm is included in our Forage Pro products (popular protein supplements) and currently available in Vigortone mineral in a custom mix.

faster horses":3qdj4x4w said:
Thanks for the welcome, guys!! Loved your emoticons, John SD. :nod: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We need that 'beating a dead horse' emoticon for flounder, over on ranchers.net. In fact, I wish we
had some of these emoticons over there! :arrow:

Not taking anything away from Amaferm, but the distillers grains in Vigortone mineral is there to keep the yeast active. I do need to clarify something I posted yesterday evening (since it doesn't look like I can go back and edit). Amaferm is included in our Forage Pro products (popular protein supplements) and currently available in Vigortone mineral in a custom mix.

The DDG will assist some and I assume you're using a live yeast culture but yeast still uses it's affectiveness rapidly if not ingested quickly. Such a low inclusion rate in a mineral I would question it's worthiness but "any" yeast is better than none and most manufacturers will never use it at recommended inclusion rates. Grain By-Products are usually used simply as "filler" to finish using up the space within the formulations. Has to be somethign palatable but not too palatable as to inhibit consumption. Not always "bad". ;-)

;-) Yes, bad. As in particle size. The size of the grain particles can cause the mineral to bond together, turn hard and make difficult to get out of the mineral troughs. It sets up like concrete. Besides, who wants to pay mineral price for grain? :D ;-)

faster horses":210dcxlf said:
;-) Yes, bad. As in particle size. The size of the grain particles can cause the mineral to bond together, turn hard and make difficult to get out of the mineral troughs. It sets up like concrete. Besides, who wants to pay mineral price for grain? :D ;-)

:nod: But we're also paying "mineral price" for ground limestone. ;-)

Latest posts