Mineral intake

Help Support CattleToday:

nobull82

Reaction score
I've been feeding kent 365 ADE free choice for about 2 months now and cows seem to really like it, maybe alittle to much. The last bag I put out only lasted 3 days with 12 cows with 5 calves. And the bag before that last 1 week with the same cows but less calves. Why would they be going through it faster with every bag I put out? Do I need something else with it?

Perhaps try mixing some salt into it until you get the target recommended intake.. (are you feeding salt seperately?)

Some minerals are 2oz/hd/day, some are 4 oz/hd/day, but I haven't seen any that are a half pound a day per head. Perhaps there's something they like/need but in too small a quantity to satisfy them?

Some hay or grass silage have more mineral, some have less, the cows know what they need.
if there were not enoughmineral before it will take a while to "fill up" the cows, a few years later your land gets more minerals from your constant mineral feeding, and then the cattle will eat even less.

ANAZAZI":1m1qzafc said:
the cows know what they need.
I've always looked on that as a great fallacy. I cow doesn;t know what a mineral tastes like so how can they "know" what they need. They'll eat what they like. That's why salt is added to stuff as either an appetite enhancement (they'll eat more) or a limiter (they'll eat less).
If they really knew what the needed there wouldn;t be a problem getting them to eat magnesium to prevent grass tetany. Magnesium is bitter so the mineral companys add something palatable to hide it.

I'm with Dun on this,.. With phosphorus they know they're needing *something*.. and they'll just go chew on wood, rocks, bones, etc.. except for the bones, none are a great source of Phosphorus.. Cows just like the taste of salt, they usually eat far more than they need, but since it's cheap no one cares much. As for needing other minerals, I don't think they know much about what they're lacking

Dubcharo":1ixf896m said:
We always put a salt block with free choice mineral, seem to work fine.
Depends on the minerals. Some say to provide additional salt some say not to. I would imagine it has to do with how much salt is in the minerals.

dun":3axwxpqz said:
ANAZAZI":3axwxpqz said:
I've always looked on that as a great fallacy. I cow doesn;t know what a mineral tastes like so how can they "know" what they need. They'll eat what they like. That's why salt is added to stuff as either an appetite enhancement (they'll eat more) or a limiter (they'll eat less).
If they really knew what the needed there wouldn;t be a problem getting them to eat magnesium to prevent grass tetany. Magnesium is bitter so the mineral companys add something palatable to hide it.
Very true....they usually eat it because someone has put something in there to encourage it. As you said, sometimes it may be too much, sometimes not enough, but sometimes just right. In your case it seems the mineral needs more salt to limit intake but not so much as to make them ignore it. A fine balancing act.

I confess! I too believed the myth. For the record, I feed Kent (which i feel is a quality mineral)as well and have noticed the same thing. Sometimes they will flat nail it, then they just kinda shut off it for awhile. Pops cattle do the same thing. We keep it fairly close to the water source so it's always there for them. I understand what Anazazi is saying about the cows maybe being short and trying to increase their stores, most mineral producers actually acknowledge this. At the same time, you can't just assume the cows don't need mineral because they aren't eating it anymore. If you can keep them consistently eating the appropriate amount, you will avoid the feast and famine cycle. I clearly haven't perfected it yet myself. It's all a work in progress. Also, note that mineral needs change with many variables such as forages, what life cycle cow is in, etc etc..

Also, don't overlook hte importance of trace minerals...not saying anyone is, just throwing it out there

bball":1gnj2oy7 said:
I confess! I too believed the myth. For the record, I feed Kent (which i feel is a quality mineral)as well and have noticed the same thing. Sometimes they will flat nail it, then they just kinda shut off it for awhile. Pops cattle do the same thing. We keep it fairly close to the water source so it's always there for them. I understand what Anazazi is saying about the cows maybe being short and trying to increase their stores, most mineral producers actually acknowledge this. At the same time, you can't just assume the cows don't need mineral because they aren't eating it anymore. If you can keep them consistently eating the appropriate amount, you will avoid the feast and famine cycle. I clearly haven't perfected it yet myself. It's all a work in progress. Also, note that mineral needs change with many variables such as forages, what life cycle cow is in, etc etc..
I have found that our cows with the Kent 365 mineral will eat it quite sparingly unless they haven't had it for awhile (novelty, they otherwise have tubs) or it gets wet. As soon as it gets wet it'll be gone in a few days.

dun":1cqzxlym said:
ANAZAZI":1cqzxlym said:

Then please let me rephrase that. The cows know HOW MUCH mineral they need.

bball":3h5sq9ez said:
Also, don't overlook hte importance of trace minerals...not saying anyone is, just throwing it out there
Don't know what you mean by "minerals" but a bag of minerals contains both micro and macro minerals at rates that should meet most of an animals needs. Are you talking about the so-called "trace minerals" that are in trace mineral salt blocks?

All I know is what the feed store owner told me. Don't give them any salt and feed free choice and it worked great but now they just seem to eat it way to fast.

No, I was suggesting folks purchase a mineral supplement that has the trace (micro)minerals in it too..At appropriate levels to meet your cattle needs. Some mineral sold around here can be quite lacking.

NB82, we leave salt blocks out free choice for them.....just in a separate bunk.

nb82, we keep salt out all the time, just in a separate bunk. We sometimes will pull all the salt in Feb, when we are trying to encourage them to eat the Kent MG in prep for (hopefully) Apr grazing. Although, April looks like a long shot this year.

nobull82":2zhiq7wq said:
All I know is what the feed store owner told me. Don't give them any salt and feed free choice and it worked great but now they just seem to eat it way to fast.
Add some salt to the mix.

I have the same problem as the OP my cows will go through loose minerals like it is sweet feed. I have salt blocks out with the mineral, and I have tried different brands of minerals. Minerals is something I could stand to learn a lot more about.

Latest posts