Mineral Feeder?

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Are you using or have you used the liquid mineral feeder? And whats your thoughts on them compared to cubes? Let me hear the pros and cons on them. Cost,versus cubes?

Thanks Cal

What exactly are you referring to when you say liquid mineral? I'm assuming you are talking a molasses based liquid feed.

novaman":2rs36esp said:
What exactly are you referring to when you say liquid mineral? I'm assuming you are talking a molasses based liquid feed.

Yes they are the tank type feeders that hold the liquid form of minerals and have the rotary wheels yhat dispence the liquid as the cattle lick them. To get their minerals and protien.

Cal

Calman":1fvznn3t said:
Are you using or have you used the liquid mineral feeder? And whats your thoughts on them compared to cubes? Let me hear the pros and cons on them. Cost,versus cubes?

Thanks Cal

I've got a couple of them, and they are good. The biggest pro is the fact that it's there, and you don't have to handle it. The truck fills it up, and the cows do the work.

The con? That stuff can be as addictive as crack to the cows. Make sure that you keep it well away from the water tank, and close to the hay. It is going to up your consumption of hay, and it can get out of control if you let it.

I have my tanks fenced in, and normally let the cows in to them for a few hours at the time. They don't need to be on them 24/7 to maintain body score.

Funny you should ask. Last weekend one of my neighbors told me that a friend of his lost 4 cows to Urea poisoning which he said was determined by a vet to have been caused by the combination of the cows hitting the liquid feeder to much because the guy wasn't keeping enough hay out for them. Anyone else ever heard of this?

dcara":crseyqo0 said:
Funny you should ask. Last weekend one of my neighbors told me that a friend of his lost 4 cows to Urea poisoning which he said was determined by a vet to have been caused by the combination of the cows hitting the liquid feeder to much because the guy wasn't keeping enough hay out for them. Anyone else ever heard of this?

They will bloat for sure if you don't keep enough hay out for them.

dcara":ezmx1dg7 said:
yep
it can happen

From what "hubby" says, the only time it pays for itself is if your "pasture" or hay is poor quality and the cattle need the protein. Cattle can starve to death with "knee deep" poor quality feed. The protein licks will help them utilize it.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":16vdjwjr said:
From what "hubby" says, the only time it pays for itself is if your "pasture" or hay is poor quality and the cattle need the protein. Cattle can starve to death with "knee deep" poor quality feed. The protein licks will help them utilize it.

Hubby is right. That's why I keep my tanks "penned up". I monitor the **** piles to see how high they get. When they start getting too high, turn them on to the lick for a little. Adds some protein quick, if needed.

shorty":1yqymbfj said:
I have checked into it but the cost semed too high , I also don't like using urea as a protien supplement.
Its cheaper then putting out lick tubs. Agree that consumption can be tough to control but it can be a very good feed when used properly. I can understand that you don't like urea but it is a very good protein supplement. With the amount of nitrogen in it, it is equivalent to 287% protein. So it doesn't take much product to meet the cows requirement for protein.

grannysoo":iw99t68l said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":iw99t68l said:

Hubby is right. That's why I keep my tanks "penned up". I monitor the be nice piles to see how high they get. When they start getting too high, turn them on to the lick for a little. Adds some protein quick, if needed.
That is a good way. Lot of newbies don't understand that concept.
The consistancy of the manure tells you what quality they are eating. The firmer the manure - the lower the protein. If their manure is more like horse turds - your cattle are most likely losing weight.

Latest posts