Millborn seeds any experience?

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
I am considering planting a hay field with the stockman from Millborn seed. Its a blend of alfalfa, tall fescue and orchard grass. My concern is and to be honest not sure it should be a concern, is planting out of a grain drill. This is a blend from my understanding 60% alf and 20% and 20% grasses. I am concerned that I will get uneven coverage of alf due to seed size. Does anybody ever deal with this concern. or is it even a concern? I have limited experience and looking for some advice.

I'd have concerns about the difference in size........but also about the timing. I planted RR alfalfa in mid May before and let that get up during the summer, even cut a bit of hay off, then drilled in the fescue/orchard grass in early fall..........works great in that order........in this West Tennessee area.

I would limit the amount of mix in the drill box at one time to cut down on the alfalfa possibly settling out.

I assume you are using the small drop seeder attached to the drill.

I add some oats or barley thru the grain box to minimize washing or wind damage. I take this off early as oats (and weed) baleage to minimize competition.

I fill the grass seed hopper only about a quarter full to start, and check a couple times at the start for plugging. Then I fill it about 3/4 full.

Packing before and after drop seeding will increase your catch greatly.

Herbicide can suppress weeds in your new seeding.

I am considering planting a hay field with the stockman from Millborn seed. Its a blend of alfalfa, tall fescue and orchard grass. My concern is and to be honest not sure it should be a concern, is planting out of a grain drill. This is a blend from my understanding 60% alf and 20% and 20% grasses. I am concerned that I will get uneven coverage of alf due to seed size. Does anybody ever deal with this concern. or is it even a concern? I have limited experience and looking for some advice.
A blend of grass and legumes is always hard to plant. Too much difference in the seed size and weight. More work but seeding the legumes separately works much better. And as stated the correct planting time is different also. Looks great in an add but doesn't work well.

Latest posts