Milkweeds

Help Support CattleToday:

allritecoach

Reaction score
I have about three acres of perenial ryegrass that I would like to cut for hay, the problem is that there is milkweed growing in it. The question I have is whether or not I need to go out and cut them out? I plan on having a neighbor come in and round bale it. The hay will be used to feed a couple of Holstein steers.

Dun,
I have been rotational grazing this summer and have noticed that the cattle will eat milk weed when the grasss gets low. So far I haven't had any health problems. So I assume it is ok to hay your field without any risk.

nap":3emrypiv said:
Dun,
I have been rotational grazing this summer and have noticed that the cattle will eat milk weed when the grasss gets low. So far I haven't had any health problems. So I assume it is ok to hay your field without any risk.

It's claimed that milkweed is poisonous, mine don;t eat it, but they eat other stuff that is supposed to be killers too. I think it has to do with the volume as much as anything. In hay, if it's something not palatable they'll eat around it.

Thanks for the replies, I may take the hay off this year than kill out with roundup this fall and replant with a grass mixture with orchardgrass and timothy. This area receives a good dose of liquid manure from my hog house.

Latest posts