milk prices

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2005
Messages
3,322
Reaction score
7
Location
southwest, MO
This is not going to be a good situation, milk prices in the $15-$16 range or lower in the next few months-and feed costs in the $14 cwt range, I don't get it. All these new cell rules and bacteria rules were supposed to make our milk more likeable for export and keep the prices up, isn't that what DFA told us, repeatedly in many letters-now this crap-I'm getting real tired of being broke, I waited all these months for my milk production to go up, and now prices are going down-I think its all a gimmick!
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,834
Reaction score
353
Location
Heart of Texas
GMN":nf2k8ou8 said:
This is not going to be a good situation, milk prices in the $15-$16 range or lower in the next few months-and feed costs in the $14 cwt range, I don't get it. All these new cell rules and bacteria rules were supposed to make our milk more likeable for export and keep the prices up, isn't that what DFA told us, repeatedly in many letters-now this crap-I'm getting real tired of being broke, I waited all these months for my milk production to go up, and now prices are going down-I think its all a gimmick!
GMN I know where you're coming from and I know how you feel. I notice too that DFA has not changed one bit since we quit dairying.
 

bigbull338

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
16,565
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
what DFA says will happen with milk prices an what happens to milk prices are 2 differant things.i talked to a guy i know thats milking 350hd aveing 65lbs a day.an he said it takes 45lbs a day for him to breakeven on feed costs.an he is feeding baleage an a TMR mix year round.
 
OP
G

GMN

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2005
Messages
3,322
Reaction score
7
Location
southwest, MO
yeah then the rich ceo sends out these letters, go get em, hope you all can make it thru this slump-while he sits in his 3 story mansion, and eats cavier and goes to the country club to play his 8 rounds of golf, and makes millions off of us, and they preach the change that has to come to keep dairy farmers in business, but all its doing is making everyones life more miserable, maybe DFA needs to grow a bigger set of you know what, and stand behind us for once instead of just bowing down to the USDA and others who want to take our livliehoods away from us-
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,834
Reaction score
353
Location
Heart of Texas
bigbull338":2lxsz9zv said:
what DFA says will happen with milk prices an what happens to milk prices are 2 differant things.i talked to a guy i know thats milking 350hd aveing 65lbs a day.an he said it takes 45lbs a day for him to breakeven on feed costs.an he is feeding baleage an a TMR mix year round.
Bull you know DFA can pretty much do what they want with milk prices without any logical explanation. Always have and always will. The 45 lb. break even sounds about right...but I'd betcha he's got a dozen in the barn not giving that much yet he still milks them. Seen it for years.
 

regolith

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
2,795
Reaction score
1
Location
New Zealand
Our forecast is down for next year - not that that means much, I've seen it move over 20% either way from the forecast to what we actually get paid at the season's summing up.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,834
Reaction score
353
Location
Heart of Texas
regolith":20jq1uim said:
Our forecast is down for next year - not that that means much, I've seen it move over 20% either way from the forecast to what we actually get paid at the season's summing up.
Prices were over $22.00 a hundredweight just a couple of months ago. NO reason milk price should drop that much, that quickly. Not to mention we're going into the time of the year when milk production is much lower and components harder to come by.
 

regolith

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
2,795
Reaction score
1
Location
New Zealand
The dairy rep who told me about the milk price says the export market is down... I didn't think it was down that much though, was dropping steadily a few months back but they only pulled the milk price back about 5%.
Last time I remember you talking about low prices our markets went up before yours did - or your companies weren't passing on the improvement as quickly. That would have been early '10.
 

bigbull338

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
16,565
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
im sure he does have few under the breakeven every1 does.i do know that he hauls a load of culls to town every week.an he also has enough baleage an hay an summer isnt going good yet.
 

Latest posts

Top