Might upset the apple cart or the grain wagon

Help Support CattleToday:

The push to use ethanol really started when we had a couple of bumper crops and the price of corn was below production costs. Instead of paying farmers to not grow corn, an artificial market was created to use up the surplus crop. Sold to consumers as a renewable energy source.

It has been discussed many times before that it has higher emissions and increased consumption over conventional gas. I expect in 10-15 years the same revelations will be made about solar and wind energy as well as electric vehicles as those fancy batteries age out. Politicians have moved and invested heavily in those areas however and funnel a lot of gov't dollars that direction so those investments pay dividends. I wouldn't look for any changes to be made as long as the checks keep clearing. Like most things it is not about the environment it is about money to be made off of "protecting" it.

I don't know one way or another but I do have a question about the study. Do they assume that if the corn isn't grown that the land will not be farmed at all? Doesn't make a difference in greenhouse gases used to make ethanol, but in the grand scheme of things greenhouse gases would be higher if corn is still grown and used for something else.

Latest posts