MF 3165

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
I've never owned any Massey ferguson tractors of any kind, but were doing a job and a neighbor down the road from it came by a couple days ago and said she had a front end loader she was wanting to get rid of, she said a scrap yard offered her 300$ for it but she can't get anyone to haul it off for that or less.

I haven't looked at it close yet but from driving by in the past I know it's a 3165 Massey with a loader, not sure but from what I have learned so far a 3165 is the industrial model of the 165?. It ran 3 years ago when her husband parked it, he has since died. I'm not sure the 3 point arms are there, right now it has a big homemade boom with a winch on the back. Fairly ruff and tires may not even hold air. I figure it's worth about 500$ in scrap.

She says I would be doing her a favor just by taking it, so I'm not out anything if it is for sure junk, but right now I need a cheap loader tractor about the size and that's real close to the kind of thing I have been looking at. The thing is if I can't take some fuel, a battery and some starting fluid over and make it run I will probably leave it. I'm also gonna try check and make sure the block hasn't froze and cracked.

At this point I don't even know if it's a gas or diesel. Is there anything particular with these tractors or this model that I need to know about that's un common? Any special weak parts to check out or anything known to be bad?. I'm not expecting much, but I feel like it's worth a little effort.

I would get it and play with it and hope its diesel...one thing I love about the older MF is they SIP fuel if they are diesel

3165 is a 165 with industrial front axle and non-adjustable rear wheels and painted yellow. Most likely won't have the 3PT arms, but those can be found at any junkyard. Also not likely to have multi-power, so should be a simple 8 speed tranny. If it has a Perkins in it, it is worth far more than $300.

I would much rather have the 8 speed than the multipower, Multipower is rubbish since it freewheels in low range (no engine braking), and the gear spacing is screwy too... I use a 165 to swath because they have an awesome turning radius, but when I go downhill I have to ride the brakes if I want to go at the correct speed.

take a comealong and get that thing onto your trailer whether it runs or not. I think it would be a good fieldwork tractor with better traction than the 165 (they get stuck on a banana peel), and the diesels are very good on fuel. As a gas tractor, well, it may still be handy to load a couple bales, carry fenceposts around, and put compost in the garden. If I found it I'd pick it up push pull or drag

Free equipment running or not im taking it if its free lol scrapyard always needs scrap ... I will vouch for the mf brakes that happens to me now and when i was a kid I would riding them well standing up on them with all my weight to slow it down to make a turn off the highway most of the time :lol2: