Metritis

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions as to next drug to go to after long-acting tetracycline for dealing with aggressive metritis. Gave the cow her 2nd round of long-acting and want to reload with something different if I need to do this a 3rd time.

Age? when did she calve? retained placenta? how does she act/what indicates treatment, etc?

milkmaid":2snkynfr said:
Age? when did she calve? retained placenta? how does she act/what indicates treatment, etc?

5 year old cow, calved dead twins 10 days ago. Retained placenta. First treat 7 days ago after she went off her feed, seemed dehydrated and walking slowly with a clumsy gait. I think the last chunk of placenta finally came out today, but she is down in the dumps again - didn't even flinch when I put the 2nd round of long-acting shots into her.

I've had metritis before, but I've never had to do a 2nd dose.

There is a better drug for that... Is it Exceed? Something like that... ask your vet. He might recommend a shot of Lute to make her cycle as that really helps to flush out the mess as well. But in all honesty it sounds like she has gone septic and that she may be too far gone to bring back, despite your early treatments. Good luck with her..

Without culture/sensitivity results, you're just kind of shooting hit-or-miss, with regard to selection of antimcrobials. But, in my hands, oxytetracycline (the active ingredient in LA-200 and the like) is USUALLY pretty effective in treating metritis in ruminants; won't work on all of them, but most...
But, I also couple that with administration of prostaglandin injections to short-cycle them - and, in truth, the prostaglandins may do more good than the antibiotics.
Uterine boluses...I used 'em 30 years ago; not sure they're really all that helpful or effective, but probably don't hurt anything.