Mesquite

Help Support CattleToday:

Cussin' Gus

Reaction score
Been working on spraying 75 acres with reclaim/remedy got about half done. Weed sprayer went down through it the other day with rifle d, and the leaves are beginning to burn off what i have not sprayed. With the leaves being burned off will reclaim/remedy still be effective?

It is not recommended to spray when the leaves are damaged from disease, drought or insects, or if they have burned leaves, with the cost of herbicide you will be off to wait till next year. The leaves carry the herbicide to the roots.

Actually, your ok, if, the spray is getting to any part of the mesquite trunk! While Reclaim with Remedy, is your best bet, painting the trunks with Remedy will do it every time. Of course, if you have hundreds of Mesquite plants to kill, that may not be very practical. Even with the leaves coming off, if the spray should reach the trunk, your good.

Herbicide Mixtures

A 75 to 100% rootkill of mesquite can be achieved by spraying with a mixture of triclopyr (Remedy™) and clopyralid (Reclaim™).

For best results, always follow label directions. Don't spray when rains have stimulated light green, new growth in tree tops or when foliage shows damage due to hail, insects, or disease. Spray foliage to wet but not dripping. Do not spray in the vicinity of desirable trees, shrubs, or crops.

The cost of treatment varies according to the density and size of mesquite infestations. Periodic follow-up treatments will be necessary to maintain low mesquite populations.

Stem Sprays

Stem sprays on individual mesquite work best on relatively young mesquite trees that have smooth bark and few basal stems. Only stems less than 4 inches in diameter should be sprayed. Spraying may be done anytime during the year, although best results occur during the spring-summer growing season

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLite ... age=GetDoc

Soil moisture and growing conditions
may seem dry to you, but not to a mesquite.
Mesquite can be healthy and growing —
and ready to spray — even if the soil is dry.
Rainfall can actually be bad for mesquite
control. Rains during a dry period can cause
new leaf growth on twig tips, indicating
upward translocation. Don't spray then.
Too much dry weather also can be bad
if it affects mesquite foliage. Don't spray
if the foliage is obviously drought-stressed
— very sparse foliage on the mesquite,
leaves turning yellow, leaf margins and
tips necrotic, or leaves dropping
. But don't
worry about grasses being dry or "droughtdormant"
if the mesquite foliage is healthy

Dow's new product Sendero is starting to hit the stores. Supposedly better and a little cheaper than the Remedy/ Reclaim mix.

http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/sendero.htm

It was priced to me at $140 a gallon. I haven't run the numbers yet to see how the cost compares but it ain't going to be much cheaper that is for sure. I have sprayed thousands of trees under different conditions. As expensive and time consuming as it is you need to follow Cross_7's instructions to the T or you will be disappointed. Also leave your treated trees and bushes standing for at least two years. When the cows break them off you know they are completely dead. Don't shred them or you will be retreating. I usually get about 70% control after year one. Retreating the following year will knock out most of the rest fairly easily. You will never be completely mesquite free.

On a side note, Mesquite is a legume so you will have some healthy patches of nitrogen rich grass where the trees were standing. The cows will go after this and break off the trees when they die. Gather them at this time for the burn pile.

I was reading about Sendero a couple months ago, and figured anything that would kill mesquite would kill tallow as well, and asked them about it but Dow Agra emailed me and simply replied. "Sendero is not presently labeled for Chinese Tallow control". Oh well....

Did the State (Texas) ever fund their planned mesquite abatement program? I know they were discussing it years ago when I lived in Tom Green County, but never heard anything else about it.

greybeard":1f0otdej said:
I was reading about Sendero a couple months ago, and figured anything that would kill mesquite would kill tallow as well, and asked them about it but Dow Agra emailed me and simply replied. "Sendero is not presently labeled for Chinese Tallow control". Oh well....

Did the State (Texas) ever fund their planned mesquite abatement program? I know they were discussing it years ago when I lived in Tom Green County, but never heard anything else about it.

Couldn't tell ya, but, the best method I have seen is to paint the trunk from the bottom up for about 5- 6". Root plowing is worthless and spraying the foliage is still hit or miss. The dang things have runners that go for several feet much like a bodark. You just have to be persistent.

I personally wouldn't mess with Sendero, unless it was a big money, big time operation. For one thing, it's expensive as heck. $140+ a gallon, 1.75 pints per acre. It's mainly applied via aerial spraying ($$$). Don't apply it if temps get over 95 degrees (er... this is Texas, you know...). There are other conditions for spraying as well... don't spray during periods of bean growth. Methylated seed oil surfactant is recommended "for best results." Don't spray if trees are under drought stress (Hello? Anybody been outside lately?). Buncha other stuff.

No matter how you're treating mesquite, timing is important. It has to do with "what direction the carbohydrates are moving." If the tree is growing actively, like during the spring, or after a rain, or during rapid bean growth, the carbs are moving "upwards" through the tree, to nourish the stuff growing on top. Other times, the carbs are moving "downwards," towards the roots. That's where you want the herbicide to be directed. Remember: "go with the flow."

Myself, I use a basal treatment of 25% Remedy and 75% diesel. Thoroughly spray the trunk of the mesquite from the ground up to about 3 feet. If the trunk diameter is over 8 inches, go up to 4 feet. In a couple of weeks, the leaves will start yellowing. In about a month, the tree will look pretty much dead. In 2 months, the tree will be dead and ready to cut down, but it's better to leave it 3 months if you can, just to be sure, before cutting it down, especially if it's a big tree with a thick trunk (e.g. 6-10 inches).

On smaller trees, say below head-high, you can just spray the foilage.

The most difficult mesquites to kill are the ones that have 25 trunks and have grown up 10-15 feet high. About all you can do with those is try to basal-treat all those trunks, being careful not to waste that expensive spray. Or you can cut it down and spray the stump with a stump killing chemical, whatever floats your boat. Those 25-trunk trees are mesquites that have grown up from a previous tree that was cut off without treating the stump - it just comes right back up. The single-trunk mesquites are first-growth trees, obviously much easier to deal with.

I hope this helps.

Latest posts