Memorys of showing???

Help Support CattleToday:

Maineshowgirl

Reaction score
Ok its really dead around this broad. So what are your best and worst memorys of showing and raising show calves. Like the one I think I wan't every forgette is last year me and my Ag teacher went to go pick up my heifer for this year which was about a six hour drive there and we had to get fuel.So we stopped to get fuel about 15 miles from the farm. I go in to get us drinks and when I come out, my ag teacher is standing at the back of the truck not getting fuel. She forgot to get the key for the fuel tank. So we went thought the ag truck thinking there may be another key someway. There's not one. So we call everyone back home to see what they say. The ag mech guy said just find someone to broke the lock. So will go inside the story and see what they can do for us. Well in Seguin Tx there only a 24 hour tire shop but they did wan't to help. So we wen't back out side. Out of the blue a guy from where we live and the School broad VP drive up. Thank God. They broke the lock , we got Fuel I call an say were still were coming for the heifer and everything works out. I learned that make sure you have all the keys before you leave to go on a road trip. ;-)

Maineshowgirl":2narc42a said:
Ok its really dead around this broad. So what are your best and worst memorys of showing and raising show calves. Like the one I think I wan't every forgette is last year me and my Ag teacher went to go pick up my heifer for this year which was about a six hour drive there and we had to get fuel.So we stopped to get fuel about 15 miles from the farm. I go in to get us drinks and when I come out, my ag teacher is standing at the back of the truck not getting fuel. She forgot to get the key for the fuel tank. So we went thought the ag truck thinking there may be another key someway. There's not one. So we call everyone back home to see what they say. The ag mech guy said just find someone to broke the lock. So will go inside the story and see what they can do for us. Well in Seguin Tx there only a 24 hour tire shop but they did wan't to help. So we wen't back out side. Out of the blue a guy from where we live and the School broad VP drive up. Thank God. They broke the lock , we got Fuel I call an say were still were coming for the heifer and everything works out. I learned that make sure you have all the keys before you leave to go on a road trip. ;-)

I think my worst was last year when i thought we were going to sell my cow BEFORE the show.. It was at State Fair and i was gonna show her for 6+ more monthes....I had a real scare then but it turned out the owner said no.
And my best was when, well dang i have alot of goood memories, Guess i will name a few when i got my bottle baby calf, when my cow was acctully bred and i saw the baby.. i gotta run but will post more later.. you are right this board is dead/dieing......................

My worse or embarrassing was when I was in 4-H I remember crying coming out of the show ring because my steer was acting up and wouldn't stand still.

My best memory I would say having a champion at a major show, along time ago. Better than that is having my 9 yr old showing and watching her show.

As an ag teacher, me and my teaching partner had reserved rooms for 10 days for the state fair. He took hogs and would return home and I was to take heifers. When he arrived, he paid for the rooms for the 10 days. After the hog show, he return home. He and the students got out of the truck, he handed me the keys to the room, and me and some other students got in and drove to Dallas. Well it took awhile to get set up, feed, etc. -- all the normal stuff for arriving at a show. We stopped for a bite to eat before going to the hotel. When we got to the hotel, keys in hand, I went to my room, opened the door, and there sat a man on the end of the bed. We were both quite shocked. As it turned out, because the first group took their clothes and stuff with them, the hotel assumed no one was returning and they gave our rooms away. At 2am there were about 10 different ag teachers in the lobby, waiting for the hotel to find other rooms. That's has to be the worst.

My worst: Had (our now herd bull) at the county fair, he was a 2 year old so pretty good size angus, somthing spooked him and he started pulling on the double tie rope tightening it up extremely tight. I came around the corner just as his eyes started to roll back in his head, luckily had my knife but still getting the knife between his neck/rope was a real pain, cut it and he came to again, took him about 10min laying down to come back, thought I was gonna loose him :shock:

My best: I really had a good time at most shows, we drug our cattle all over the northwest hitting the angus shows, I remember in Prineville Or. one year, it was so hot (100+) that we did not even have to use the dryer after washing, they were dry within 10min! lol

my most embarrassing was when i was showing this simmi heifer i had raised from birth and we were lined up side by side in showmanship and she turned her head and when i pulled her back around she stepped forward... on my foot... and her head just came right on around an hit me in the chest knocking me over into the pretty green sand they had that year. she did all this as the judge asked me how old she was... but i popped back up answered him and won 2nd.

my best...thers alot like when i won reserve grand carcass w/ my steer, when i won frist in my class w/ my steer and then won senior grooming, when my favorite heifer Darla had her baby, and winning grand champ w/ my brangus heifer

i think my worst was when i was getting ready for state and my heifer and i put her in the workin chute to give her her shots and every thing. and she was weighing 1490lbs and her neck was so fat it started to choke her and i couldnt get the headgate to open foward or backward and i had left the hot shot down in the shop. she went down stopped brething and eyes rolled back then i got the headgate open with me and three other people and she was in there for about an hour before she got back up and then she ended up getting bloated right as i went to get her to load up and head out.

my best moment would have to be when i got grand in each of my classes at county fair with a calf that my heifer had but the reason i was so happy was because i had beat a snobb of a kid that paid 12,000 for his heifer and paid $1000 just for it to be clipped

Wow, I've got so many memories and stories its hard to know where to start.

A bad memory at the time but a funny one now that I look back on it was when I was showing an angus heifer and a few steers. We arrived at a local show and there was a ramp and yards, and a mound to unload at. The fella there wouldn't let us unload into the yards because of the Johnes status, even though we told him the heifer was likely to run. Anyway we found the biggest bloke we could to hang onto this black heifer, and lined up the steers at the bottom of the mound. The heifer and the bloke went under all the steers. He hung on for 10 metres then let go . . . she ran around the racecourse twice, jumped three fences and ended up out of the showground. We jumped in the nearest ute and by the time we caught up with her she had jumped into some blokes farm. We drove up there with the truck and asked the people if we could load her, but he said they only had sheep yards. But by that time she'd jumped into the neighbours paddocks and they had cattle yards. By the time we loaded her and brought her back three hours had passed. It was absolutely priceless when we came back and the steward just said "You'd better unload into the yards". :shock:

A pretty challenging moment was this year at Sydney, when we took a group of angus bulls out in the grand parade to exercise them. Every bull we had took off at one point or another but we hung on to the all. My mates bull ended up in the middle of the horses and mine tried to take out the Carlton clydsdales. Being 50kg I don't really have a big chance of stopping 1000kg of angry bull :lol:

One of the best moments I've had was leading the champion steer on the hoof and hook at Melbourne show. Also when I led a steer to fourth place - after we'd been trying to break him for three months and only got him leading a week before the show. Watching the first grand parade at Melbourne last year when 7 charolais heifers all took off and it was half an hour till they caught them again. When I caught a Salers bull in the grand parade and was hanging on to him and my two heifers at the same time . . . And just catching up with people I don't see very often just at shows.

Wow, I just realised how much I wrote. And thats not even half of it, I could go on all day!

Actually one of my worst memories is of getting up in the morning on show day, walking down to the stalls to start mucking out and finding that the cow had sat on and killed the calf during the night.

Since then we bring cages that we put up in the stalls for the very young calves to go in.

well i havnt been at this long and unfortunetly i only have a few bad memories unstead of good.

my absolute worse would be at last years county's fair. we have a dealio where you get in the show ring and they let out calves and your supposed to catch one. say you have 5 kids that want one, so they only put 4 calves in the ring. the point of this is to get a halter on one and then they give you another good one to show for next year in a seperate class. anyway i got my halter and i was ready to catch my calf. all was fine until i jumped on one and the dumb thing was slipping out from underneith me and so i ended up on the ground. all of the sudden all the calves come around and i get stepped on by all of them. there pointy nasty hooves beating into my back. :mad: and then a dumb b!tch decided that she wanted to catch one that was ontop of me. so i had a calf and a fat
b!tch on top of me. i got p!$$ed. i took the calf and gave it to another girl :D i know its not very nice but i dont think its very nice to catch a wild calf on someones back. anyway after alls said and done i ended up with bruises on my back the shape of hooves and a broken nose and to top it all...no calf. yeah that sucked real bad.

My worst was at county fair a couple years ago, I had mono, badly. So, I had my simmy heifer in the championship round, and I was feeling pretty lousy, but it was almost over, so I tried to hang in there. The calf next to me jumped, knocked into my side, I swayed, but didnt fall. Turned around, got really really dizzy, and my breakfast came up to politly remind me what I had eaten an hour before. My cousin was allowed to enter the ring and hold on to my calf as I got a drink of water I was back to holding the halter by the end of the class. I also got beat up pretty badly by a friends steer that was "trained". (she asked me to show because she gave her a broken arm...I knew about the broken arm at the time of the show, just not how she got it)

My best/favorite was many years ago, my first year showing. We went to the MN Beef Expo, and in my first time showing showmanship (3rd time showing ever) I won 4th in state. THAT was great. Another was winning interveiw champion at state fair. Shows that a "city girl" (thats what the kids in my FFA call me, but IM NOT) can know a lot about cows.Another favorite was the look on my ag. teachers face when I told him that I beat out all the "farm kids" in the knowledge bowl competetion. (The first day I was in FFA. Ag Teacher asked me what team I wanted to be on, I said Beef/General Livestock. He said "no, I dont think you are the kinda person that would be good at that". Not that I was offended because I know that I dont "look" like the kinda person who would know that stuff, it was just dissapointing that he wouldnt give me a chance) Anyway, Im sure that I could write manymanymany more...but I dont want to bore you any further. Good POSTS! I like this idea.

I have a couple that were not funny at the time but are funny looking back on them..

We were at a little jackpot show and had our heifers/steers stalled up beside on another. My friends little club steer and her Brahman heifer were beside one another. She'd finished showing her heifer a little earlier and brought the heifer and tied her back up beside the steer. We get the steer all blown & combed and ready to go (it was a blow & go) when the heifer turns and pees all down the side of him, just as we were getting ready to untie him and take him to the holding area.

We had a girl that showed Charolais and Charolais x. Well we had some grooming chutes up in our goat & lamb barn and some kids were horsing (no pun intended) around. They ended up spooking the heifer.. the heifer tears the grooming chute down and ends up halfway stuck in one of the goat pens. Definitely wasn't funny trying to figure out how to get her out at the time, but it was funny thinking about how funny she looked afterwards. :lol:

Jay

Well I just got back from my cnt fair. But just had to say. A friend that I show with had a steer, who wan'ted to go to Wal-Mart. He got lose at the fair and ran 5 plus miles to Wal-mart were there stop him. Guess he wan'ted to go shopping :lol: .

Maineshowgirl":kr9yyp7y said:
Well I just got back from my cnt fair. But just had to say. A friend that I show with had a steer, who wan'ted to go to Wal-Mart. He got lose at the fair and ran 5 plus miles to Wal-mart were there stop him. Guess he wan'ted to go shopping :lol: .
We had a similar thing happen.. only at the vet. The heifer got loose and ended up running through a suburban neighborhood. :lol:

Jay

Everyone's responses reminded me of some of my other memories.

Well I just got back from my cnt fair. But just had to say. A friend that I show with had a steer, who wan'ted to go to Wal-Mart. He got lose at the fair and ran 5 plus miles to Wal-mart were there stop him. Guess he wan'ted to go shopping

A red poll bull got away at Wagga show last year and ended up down sideshow alley lol.

We had a girl that showed Charolais and Charolais x. Well we had some grooming chutes up in our goat & lamb barn and some kids were horsing (no pun intended) around. They ended up spooking the heifer.. the heifer tears the grooming chute down and ends up halfway stuck in one of the goat pens. Definitely wasn't funny trying to figure out how to get her out at the time, but it was funny thinking about how funny she looked afterwards.

Couple of years ago at Dairy week, we had fifty holsteins to prepare for the sale that night. There were five of us plus three fitters/clippers. This great big heifer flipped the clipping frame (with her in it) right on top of the fitter. Not a good moment.

Also, I came back from a show once, the people looking after the place said you'd better come look at this ewe. Turns out she had her front end inside the hay feeder and her back end hanging out, she was stuck at the hips! Bl00dy sheep!

My worst was at county fair a couple years ago, I had mono, badly

I was pretty sick with glandular fever at Melb show a while back. Managed to show the reserve champ heifer then collapsed :oops:

OK there's a couple of each.

Worst :

Being trampled by a heifer last year(and that was before the show!!)
And getting seriously ill half way thru Brisbane Royal last year, not the nicest thing, and it doesnt look good for our cattle either, sorta turns them off,

Best :

My first show I showed the Grand Champion Red Poll bull, which I'll never forget, which was around 5 year ago
Brisbane Royal last year(when I wasn't sick). I had the time of my life. I met so many good friends that I've stayed friends with. Just in general everyone was awesome there. That one is more on a personal level than anything else.
And after what seemed like forever I broke in my first heifer, that was anout 3 year ago and I'm now making a fair bit of money out of it ;-)

Latest posts