Medi-Dart crossbow

Help Support CattleToday:

RiverHills

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with one?? I would want one that maybe could use larger doses. I would have no trouble getting within 20 feet of a cow.

I don't have a crossbow but I do have a pump up air rifle. I think that 10 cc's is the larges dart. At least the largest one I have seen. You may not have any problem getting within 20 feet for the first shot but by the second or third shot they get a little more spooky.

I have one and it works well as long as need to give 10cc or more. Best to drive within 20 ft in truck or utv to take shot even if can walk that close. Don't want animals associating you with getting darted. Suggest getting a side port needle that gives subq injections.

Dave":29gw3lfu said:
I don't have a crossbow but I do have a pump up air rifle. I think that 10 cc's is the larges dart. At least the largest one I have seen. You may not have any problem getting within 20 feet for the first shot but by the second or third shot they get a little more spooky.

Thanks!! that's why I was asking about the cross bow for larger doses. I also am alittle concerned about spooking them.

Texas PaPaw":29gw3lfu said:
I have one and it works well as long as need to give 10cc or more. Best to drive within 20 ft in truck or utv to take shot even if can walk that close. Don't want animals associating you with getting darted. Suggest getting a side port needle that gives subq injections.

Thanks!! Do the subq needles work OK with heavy meds?

I have a cross bow and a cap chur gun. I cant get my cap chur to site in so have used my medi dart a lot.thinking of selling it. In the case of using low doses like 10 or less....use sterile water to make up another 10-20ccs. never used side port needles.

RiverHills":1qnsjc8c said:
Dave":1qnsjc8c said:

Thanks!! that's why I was asking about the cross bow for larger doses. I also am alittle concerned about spooking them.

Texas PaPaw":1qnsjc8c said:

Thanks!! Do the subq needles work OK with heavy meds?

Have put a lot of Noromycin thru the Medi-Dart, all with the sideport needle. It's the only needle have ever used. Never tried Nuflor but have used Baytril, Zactran and Hexasol. Would think sideport needle should work better with thick meds than regular needles, as it has 2 ports on opposite sides of needle and meds don't have to go as far down needle to get to ports.

OK thanks that's the meds I was asking about. If I may ask what were you treating them for? Were they cows or calves and I'm assuming in the neck?

RiverHills":qzmyeyls said:
OK thanks that's the meds I was asking about. If I may ask what were you treating them for? Were they cows or calves and I'm assuming in the neck?

Cow treated with noromycin for foot rot
5wt calf treated with Zactran for pinkeye and another treated for respiratory.
All in neck.

Its the Cap Chur gun that I'm thinking of selling because I had it outfitted with a scope, I'm having trouble getting it sighted in. so I have just stuck with the ol' faithful Medi Dart. other downside to the CapChur is you can shoot larger doses with the crossbow, 35ccs. so I can dose a lot with LA300, Hexasol, etc. CapChur gun either takes 3+darts to do 30ccs or more , or you have to you high dollar meds. in which case a wasted dose of meds if expensive mistake. Draxssin or the like might make me cry to waste.
I use mine for those evenings you don't have time to get them up. much faster, but can tend to cause them to be skiddish. I treat with Noromycin, LA300, Nuflor Gold, Tylan 200, Batryil and I'm sure others.
Word of advice, take a few practice shots. use water to simulate meds, the extra weight does affect trajectory but not major in 20cc verses 35ccs at 15-20yds, 20yrds is about my limit with medidart. Have to learn to "arc" you shot to make it hit at 20yds, aim say 3inches over tail head to hit in the hip