mean

Help Support CattleToday:

Mean----That would be someone that knowinglee(sp)
hurts someone ,mentaly or phicialy(sp),and likes how it makes them feel. Or is that evil...

peg4x4":210om89h said:
Mean----That would be someone that knowingly]
hurts someone ,mentaly or phicialy(sp),and likes how it makes them feel. Or is that evil...

And that would be my mother. Even in death, she haunts our family through her evil will which did it's best to rip the family apart... didn't quite work though!

It's strange, because at her funeral, there were total strangers who came up to tell us how wonderful she was, and all of the kids asked "are you sure you're talking about MY mother???" as she was far nicer to strangers than family.

peg4x4":2ewofixe said:
Mean----That would be someone that knowinglee(sp)

Well, I guess I need to delete my answer because my uncle qualifies more under the Ornery category.

Cuz

I dont like being mean - most of the time. I have felt mean and enjoyed it, though. Like when you fire someone who really deserves it. I normally hated to let someone go. It was the worst feeling ever and I would try to coach staff for everything in the hopes of avoiding it. But there were some that I kinda did the happy dance when I let them go. I guess that's mean.

I only know of one person who I would truly say is mean. I used to work for the guy. He had been promoted through the peter principle. He loved to stir trouble and keep dissention throughout his 50 or 60 subordinates. I don't know what he got out of it but he was truly mean spirited and hateful. He treated almost everyone the same way. He was truly an equal opportunity hate-monger.

After several lititgation cases, the folks at the main office finally forced him into early retirement to avoid another lawsuit. Now, I understand, he is eaten up with all kinds of problems and is basically an invalid. Its my opinion he is eaten up with hate. I have no respect for the guy and don't plan on sending flowers. However, I have given consideration to visiting his grave with a twelve pack and a full bladder but I'm afraid I'd have to stand in line.

It has been a while, Jo. I don't remember the Peter Principle. My husband probably does. He's into the business thing.

Isn't the Peter Principle...if you don't know what else to do with a lousy employee that for some reason or another you can't fire, you just kick 'em upstairs...give 'em a promotion? Something like that... :p

Alice

Alice":wr7ay5vi said:
Isn't the Peter Principle...if you don't know what else to do with a lousy employee that for some reason or another you can't fire, you just kick 'em upstairs...give 'em a promotion? Something like that... :p

Alice

Close. I think the Peter Principle says that everyone eventually rises to their level of incompetence.

As for mean people, I was reluctant to answer, but since Vicky mentioned her mother, I will mention mine. My mother is an alcoholic ( 84 and sober 12 years now) and when she was drinking she was the meanest, most vile, hateful, evil person I've ever known. Nothing physical, but boy could she cut right to your soul with words when she had a mind to. How my Dad stayed with her for 54 years is beyond me. Now she is about the sweetest thing you'd ever want to meet, and doing pretty well for her age considering how much she used to drink. Sometimes I think back and can't believe that she is the same person I hated for so many years. Thank God sometimes people DO change.

My father. Hitting us girls for simple accidents. My most vivide memory was him picking me up by my ears and throwing me down two flights of stairs. He quit yelling and hitting me when he suddenly realized I was getting to be a he** of a shot.

My father in law was also mean, but in a different way. He liked to nag and rag on my husband on any simple thing. He called him up one night and told him to go fix a downed wire on a five strand fence. Husband had just gotten in from working all day and it was now time to spend with our infant son. He brought my husband to tears. I went up and tore a strip off of him. He never called us for something that stupid again.
He didn't talk to me for two weeks.

Guess I've been pretty lucky. Never had too many mean folks experiences. Only mean person (thing) I recall was my Ex-Ol' Lady. Meaner than a 55 gallon drum of Copperheads.

VanC":34brkq4i said:
Nothing physical, but boy could she cut right to your soul with words when she had a mind to.

Since this was mentioned, what do you think is worse. Words or a slap or a fist? Just curious.

Jogeephus":z5v9tzax said:
VanC":z5v9tzax said:
Nothing physical, but boy could she cut right to your soul with words when she had a mind to.

Since this was mentioned, what do you think is worse. Words or a slap or a fist? Just curious.

Physical wounds heal...emotional wounds fester. Physical wounds can turn into emotional wounds really fast. At least that's my take on it.

I'm so lucky...my parents loved me and my brother and sister with all of their hearts. It wasn't an Ozzie and Harriet situation, but we were not physically or emotionally abused...we were protected and encouraged.

Alice

Crowderfarms":1nhgdw5v said:
Guess I've been pretty lucky. Never had too many mean folks experiences. Only mean person (thing) I recall was my Ex-Ol' Lady. Meaner than a 55 gallon drum of Copperheads.

I had one of those exe's...took me about 4 years to recover.

Alice

pdfangus":2i8x63tq said:
Jogeephus":2i8x63tq said:
NamVet_Farmer44":2i8x63tq said:
the drill sergeants before Vietnam...well let's just say they wasn't the nicest men I ever met :lol:

.. nor were the drill sergeants that came back from Vietnam

I disagree....
While devine providence kept me from going to the Jungle I was tracking for it and training for it and those drill sargeants were the best friends I had. Oh they were tough ok. but they were not mean. the toughest one I had, probably cared more than all the others.

tough didn't bother me as at the time I thought I was a tough guy, and I wanted a challenge and wanted to be a leader.

i'd say a few of my instructors went a little passed "tough" with a few of the recruits...one boy was choked half to death (the other instructors had to pull him away from the boy) for not paying close enough attention in class...they wouldn't work us until we puked, their work motto was "you'll pass out before you die, and when you come back to your senses...that's water break time"...call it tough if you'd like, but from my experience, some of the instructors were just flat out mean

Lammie":2jcnv1z9 said:
It has been a while, Jo. I don't remember the Peter Principle. My husband probably does. He's into the business thing.

My take on it goes like this.

You're really exceptional at your job. You get noticed and they promote you to

FOREMAN. You're really good at that job. You get noticed and they promote you to

SUPERVISOR. You're fairly competent as a supervisor, don't make any waves and eventually get promoted to

AREA-SUPERVISOR. You don't have a clue. This is the position you'll hold and eventually retire at, all the while frustrating the socks off of those who are under you.

Cuz

My Dad was a mean one when provoked, or when he had been drinking. But that was the indian coming out in him, I suppose.
But my wifes Grandpa took it all.. he would fight at the drop of a hat.. . not just fist fighting, but actually bit off a mans nose in a fight once, plus punish someone even when they were down.. to almost the point of death. He was flat-out mean. He's dead now, but before he died, he turned his life over to Christ and regretted doing all those things he had done. He even asked some of the men he had fought with for forgiveness. I was sure glad he did that.

Alice":32ygob4y said:
Jogeephus":32ygob4y said:
VanC":32ygob4y said:

Physical wounds heal...emotional wounds fester. Physical wounds can turn into emotional wounds really fast. At least that's my take on it.

I'm so lucky...my parents loved me and my brother and sister with all of their hearts. It wasn't an Ozzie and Harriet situation, but we were not physically or emotionally abused...we were protected and encouraged.

Alice

I would much rather by slapped. Before I met Steve I was in a relationship with a guy that turned verbally abusive. I try to forget about because I am smarter than that. (the same auto mechanic I talked about earlier that gave the car to the usless POS friend) Anyhoo, he could stay angry for weeks and while he was doing it, he was just meaner than Satan,

I think I have a definition of mean. Someone who knows what hurts you most verbally and then gets a kick out of using it against you. That was Teddy. He was a big man, but I would MUCH rather have had him just slap the pi$$ outa me than treat me like crud for two weeks. He was not mean to my boys, but it was bad none the less. The funny part was that when I said I didn't want to ever see him again, he was shocked. Didn't know what he'd done wrong.

He was mean. That is what mean is.

Lammie":r7sypws1 said:
Alice":r7sypws1 said:
Jogeephus":r7sypws1 said:
VanC":r7sypws1 said:

Alice

I would much rather by slapped. Before I met Steve I was in a relationship with a guy that turned verbally abusive. I try to forget about because I am smarter than that. (the same auto mechanic I talked about earlier that gave the car to the usless POS friend) Anyhoo, he could stay angry for weeks and while he was doing it, he was just meaner than Satan,

I think I have a definition of mean. Someone who knows what hurts you most verbally and then gets a kick out of using it against you. That was Teddy. He was a big man, but I would MUCH rather have had him just slap the pi$$ outa me than treat me like crud for two weeks. He was not mean to my boys, but it was bad none the less. The funny part was that when I said I didn't want to ever see him again, he was shocked. Didn't know what he'd done wrong.

He was mean. That is what mean is.

That sounds like my ex brother in law, verbally and emotionally abusive, he did little things all the time, especially in front of people to embarrass my sister and belittle her, we all knew better, could never understand why she stayed with him as long as she did, 4 years ago, she sid enough was enough, kicked him out, and then OMG he acted like a totally different person on the outside anyways, trying to win her back, it didn't work, and to this day he doesn't really understand what he did wrong, or doesn't think it was that bad. Your typical insecure control freak.

One time their daughter had a special get together, involving some milestone at the church they attended, the Priest came to the house, and to make my sister look bad, he sat in the basement refusing to talk to anyone. We all just thought what a jack a$$, that about sums him up.

GMN

Latest posts