meadow foxtail

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbruh

Reaction score
I recently bought a big round of meadow foxtail hay for my heifers. They seem to like it really well. I also supplement with grain every day. I was wondering if anyone had experience with feeding meadow foxtail? Any info would be appreciated.

I've got a pretty good concentration of yellow foxtail in one of my pastures, and the cows like grazing it.
From what I gather, it is not harmful, just lower on the list of nutritional value than many alternatives.
I'd like to hear from others who have dealt with it more than me though. This patch just came up this year.
Been taking trees out and stirring up dirt in this pasture for a couple of years.

The man I bought it from winters his 60 head of angus on it. My heifers seem to like it. Very little waste so far. I'm just not sure what kind of nutritional value it has.

Meadow foxtail make decent hay. I have fed a lot of it over the years. But the nutrient value will depend more on the stage of growth when it was cut and the nutrients in the soil than on a particular species of grass. If you really want to know have some of the hay tested.