Maximizing Acreage

Help Support CattleToday:

xbredcattle

Reaction score
I have 15 head on 19 acres with 4 pastures that I rotate (southeast la) I plant rye grass in a seedbed on 6 of those for the winter. I'm thinking about running a drag over the rye grass once it plays out in mid April and seeding Tifton 9 Bahia down for summer/fall grazing. Would this work or be to costly?

Do you know the capability of the soil to produce forage. With some soils you can spend a lot on it and it will produce a lot. Some soils will not produce well enough to spend a lot on. I soil test and spend a lot on the best soils.

kenny thomas":2nkujbai said:
Do you know the capability of the soil to produce forage. With some soils you can spend a lot on it and it will produce a lot. Some soils will not produce well enough to spend a lot on. I soil test and spend a lot on the best soils.

fully agree,

you could look at rye, oat, triticale mix with vetch, or peas, clover etc, dependant on your climate. Strip grazed, these can allow feeding for the summer and yield well. A legume increases the protein level at the very least. Can fix some N for the cereal as well. The mix helps with palatability and intake as well.

Many will disagree, but buying a poor quality hay, and supplementing with DDG may be a viable option for you. You might even be able to run more head than you are now.

Latest posts