mattresses

Help Support CattleToday:

We had a waterbed for a couple of years. I hated it, wife liked it..........until one cold winter night when the power had been off all day and part of the night before and we went to go to bed and it was like sleeping on a block of ice. That, thankfully, was the end of our waterbed.

A super single waterbed mattress filled, would weigh about 1200lbs. Lot of weight to be in the back of ye old Chevy van all the time.

Since the conversation has diverted in part to mattress stories, it brings to mind one I always remember.
I went to work for a drilling company (oilfield) in the late 70s as a mechanic and the shop foreman was old..in his 70s already and a WW2 veteran. Very nice guy, and had fought with Patton's 3rd Army in France and Germany. He presented himself as the ultimate ladys' man (putting it mildly) & was forever telling us stories of his combat days, but mostly of his romantical conquests back in his younger days. He once stated, "Don, when me and the others got out of the Army and stepped off the train back home here in Eunice (Louisiana), the women met us at the depot with mattresses on their backs!"
That conjured up a mental image I have never forgotten.
In college there was a somewhat rare variety of sorority sister called the "double breasted mattress back". A fellow dressed up as one on Halloween with a big set of jugs and a mattress strapped to his back. Was a good costume.

ETA: I recall now the species was actually called the "double breasted mattress thrasher"

Last edited:

Latest posts