mattresses

Help Support CattleToday:

devonian

Reaction score
I need a new mattress mine is over 12 years old thought I could carry on with it (been flipping n turning it) but I haven't had a good night sleep for awhile and the matress could be a part of it, its getting so bad the springs are starting to dig in through the fabric!

My question I've never had a modern mattress with a foam layer you know the types from simba, casper, emma etc. Does anyone here rate these or are the old school spring mattresses better?

If the modern ones don't last as long and only last 5-6 years you will have answered my question. Thanks

The best mattress I have ever slept on was at the Hyatt Regency at the Denver Tech Center, but that was at least a good 10+ years ago. At the time I think I had figured out who made it, but at that time it was about a grand for it. I don't remember who made it anymore; it was something that was out of my price range.

Edit; Maybe it was closer to two grand. All I can remember that is was pricey.

Last edited:
We bought a Tuft & Needle 2-3 years ago. Been pleased with it for around $900. I'm around 220 pounds and it's held up well. I would also consider the Purple mattress, I've heard good reports on them.

A few years ago I bought a Amazon cheapy. One of those memory foam things that come compressed down to about 2" rolled up in a box. I don't think it is going to last all that long, and it is a little to hard for my liking. The dang thing is extremely heavy. I think I paid around $300 back in 2020.

I highly recommend memory foam mattress. I've got some pretty significant back issues and it's the only kind of mattress that I can sleep on. Mine's a tempur pedic.

I need a new mattress mine is over 12 years old thought I could carry on with it (been flipping n turning it) but I haven't had a good night sleep for awhile and the matress could be a part of it, its getting so bad the springs are starting to dig in through the fabric!

My question I've never had a modern mattress with a foam layer you know the types from simba, casper, emma etc. Does anyone here rate these or are the old school spring mattresses better?

If the modern ones don't last as long and only last 5-6 years you will have answered my question. Thanks
We have a guest room and have bought two identical mattresses so we can switch them out as well as turn them and switch bottom to top. Seems like they last longer that way. But I think we are on our last switcheroo. This last time the mattress we were sleeping on seemed like it got very hard.

I've been told my whole life that a harder mattress is good for a bad back... and I believe that advice is bull-pucky. We switched to a softer mattress and I sleep better and have less back problems.

We bought a Tuft & Needle 2-3 years ago. Been pleased with it for around $900. I'm around 220 pounds and it's held up well. I would also consider the Purple mattress, I've heard good reports on them.
I heard good things about the purple also but have you seen the price tag on the top of the line purple 😳$8,995.00

I went to Mattress Firm last year just 'to see'. Don't remember which serta perfect I layed down on, but it was heaven. Didn't buy one because wife was 'too busy' to go try it out (swimming pool season) but I wished I had. I think the price was around $800 for a queen size.
We have a King size serta perfect with a built in topper on it that is at least 18 years old and has gotten too soft and saggy and seems like it weighs 500 lbs.
One of the problems with modern matress/box sets is the box is exactly that..a box. No more box springs, just a wooden framed box with some wire across it maybe, and some fabric on top.

I highly recommend memory foam mattress. I've got some pretty significant back issues and it's the only kind of mattress that I can sleep on. Mine's a tempur pedic.
Wife and I bought one of those 10 years ago. Within a week we paid them the $500 to come pick it up and bring us another choice. We found we sunk into it and didn't move. All kinds of aches in the morning from being still all night.

My mattress would be at least 40 years old and I have no plans on replacing it.

Ken
Ken, people will think we're crazy...but I absolutely agree. Mattresses were built better years ago. We bought ours in 1997...it was expensive (for the time $800.) maximum spring quantity, max firmness, what we both wanted. For about 5 to 8 years it was actually too firm. We almost considered replacing it after 1 or 2 years...but time slipped and 10 to 15 years later....the mattress and springs were broke in and we were having our best sleep ever... loven our 27 year old mattress. Those that sleep together on the same mattress stay together.

I used to have a Denver Mattress, and it was probably the best one that I have owned. I finally had to get rid of it because my ex wife would body slam into the bed, and she was quite heavy. The poor ole springs just could not stand up to that much weight, especially when there is 300 pounds slamming down on it every night.

Latest posts