Math Quiz

Help Support CattleToday:

CowpokeJ

Reaction score
Okay, I'm not much on math. I've got a 5x5 bale weighing 1200-1300 10% protein $45. 4x5 weighing 900-1000 16% $60. Which makes better sense? Explain in numbers I can relate to.

CowpokeJ":1dg5g2m7 said:
Okay, I'm not much on math. I've got a 5x5 bale weighing 1200-1300 10% protein $45. 4x5 weighing 900-1000 16% $60. Which makes better sense? Explain in numbers I can relate to.

Can you not convert it to cost of # of protein? Ie the 1200 lb bale at 10% will yield 120 lbs of protein for $45 or a cost of 37.5 cents per pound of protein while the other 900 will be 144 lbs at $60 or 41.7 cents per pound of protein.

Which makes better sense depends on what you are feeding. If I was feeding lactating cows I'd rather have the 60 dollar hay as this would be all they would need.

If you are looking for lowest cost protein or lowest cost per pound of hay the 5x5 is your best deal. However you must consider palatability of the hay also and the condition the hay is in. I used 120lbs of protein in the 5 x5 bale (1200# x 10% P) and divided $45 by that for a protein cost of 37.5 cents per pound and a total hay value of 3.75 cents per pound compared to the 4 x5 (900# x 16% Protein = 144 # OF protein) and divided that into $60 for a protein cost of 41.6 cents per pound and a total hay value cost of 5 cents per pound.
While these definitely considerations to consider only you can decide if the hay is of quality to feed your cattle. Good Luck

CowpokeJ":2bqodmfb said:
Actually, I got both. Spring pasture and fall pasture.

During the dead period when you have no grazing and if your cows are lactating during this time you might want some of the higher quality hay for this period unless you plan on supplementing. I learned this the hard way.

Jogeephus":3iw0lq7j said:
CowpokeJ":3iw0lq7j said:

During the dead period when you have no grazing and if your cows are lactating during this time you might want some of the higher quality hay for this period unless you plan on supplementing. I learned this the hard way.
What would be the benefit of feeding anything over 12%? Seems like a mix of both would be the most economical.
It is my understanding that a cow can only use 12%. Everything else goes out in the form of fertilizer. When in doubt the poop splat test will usually confirm the right amount of protein.

novatech":3pmth0yw said:
When in doubt the poop splat test will usually confirm the right amount of protein.

We have so much green grass right now that you don't want to stand any closer than 10 feet to the cows. The splat test is very messy right now.... :lol2:

grannysoo":j82e2k5h said:
novatech":j82e2k5h said:
When in doubt the poop splat test will usually confirm the right amount of protein.

We have so much green grass right now that you don't want to stand any closer than 10 feet to the cows. The splat test is very messy right now.... :lol2:
Sounds like you coud use some stockers.
My pastures are brown from lack of rain. I have plenty of reserve grass that the cattle are grazing. According to the splat test they are getting plenty of protein and show it in their BCS.
Back to the subject. I have done a little Googling since my last post and found the the 10% hay may be all the cattle would need. Lactating beef cattle do not need near as much protein as a dairy animal. The better test for hay would be TDN rather than just how much protein.
A couple of good articles;
http://www.uvm.edu/livestock/beef/artic ... ov2003.pdf
http://www.extension.org/pages/What_Det ... y_by_a_Cow

lets bend your brain a tad further with the math.a 5 by 5 weighs 1300lbs.a 4 by 5 weighs 900lbs.if you get the 5 by 5 your getting 400lbs more hay pre bale.wich means if you buy 100 5 by 5s.thats equal to 150 4 by 5s.now 100 5 by 5s will cost you $4500.an 100 4 by 5s will cost you $6000.you can take the extra $1500 an buy 35 more bales.an have 135 bales vs 100.so thats feeding 40 cows on 135 bales for the year.an 25 cows on 100 bales for the year.40 cows will cost you $150 a cow in hay.25 cows will cost you $240 hay a year.bottomline you save $90 cow yr an feed 15 more cows a year.an sell 15 extra calves that makes you an extra $1500.an pays for the 135 bales.

bigbull338":2drd6wpm said:
lets bend your brain a tad further with the math.a 5 by 5 weighs 1300lbs.a 4 by 5 weighs 900lbs.if you get the 5 by 5 your getting 400lbs more hay pre bale.wich means if you buy 100 5 by 5s.thats equal to 150 4 by 5s.now 100 5 by 5s will cost you $4500.an 100 4 by 5s will cost you $6000.you can take the extra $1500 an buy 35 more bales.an have 135 bales vs 100.so thats feeding 40 cows on 135 bales for the year.an 25 cows on 100 bales for the year.40 cows will cost you $150 a cow in hay.25 cows will cost you $240 hay a year.bottomline you save $90 cow yr an feed 15 more cows a year.an sell 15 extra calves that makes you an extra $1500.an pays for the 135 bales.
Good post.

novatech":35hcxhau said:
grannysoo":35hcxhau said:
novatech":35hcxhau said:

Sounds like you coud use some stockers.
My pastures are brown from lack of rain. I have plenty of reserve grass that the cattle are grazing. According to the splat test they are getting plenty of protein and show it in their BCS.
Back to the subject. I have done a little Googling since my last post and found the the 10% hay may be all the cattle would need. Lactating beef cattle do not need near as much protein as a dairy animal. The better test for hay would be TDN rather than just how much protein.
A couple of good articles;
http://www.uvm.edu/livestock/beef/artic ... ov2003.pdf
http://www.extension.org/pages/What_Det ... y_by_a_Cow
I'm with you, all the rain has gone right around my pasture. Close enough to smell. I have a tdn on the 4's but I'd have to call my buddy up and ask him what it was.

novatech":32l19v5p said:
Jogeephus":32l19v5p said:
CowpokeJ":32l19v5p said:

What would be the benefit of feeding anything over 12%? Seems like a mix of both would be the most economical.
It is my understanding that a cow can only use 12%. Everything else goes out in the form of fertilizer. When in doubt the poop splat test will usually confirm the right amount of protein.

He's only at 10% on the big rolls and this could go down some depending on storage. I guess I'm conservative and would rather have some better hay to mix during the lean times to prevent from having to supplement.

Jogeephus":w8w7lezl said:
He's only at 10% on the big rolls and this could go down some depending on storage. I guess I'm conservative and would rather have some better hay to mix during the lean times to prevent from having to supplement.
If all I was feeding was the hay the 10% may do through the winter for maintanence but mixed with low quality pasture winter pickens then the higher protein hay would be justified.
All this is in theroy. The condition of the cattle will always tell us what we are doing right or wrong.

Latest posts