Maternal Simmental sires?

Help Support CattleToday:

WisRose

Reaction score
I've been flipping through my Select Sires Directory trying to decide on what breed to use on my cows. I think I want to use Simmental, and was wondering which Select Sires bull would be good for producing maternal traits? I'm going to be using him on Hereford 2nd calf cows. I was also looking at their club calf bull "Hot Spot" for one of my other cows. Anyone use him or hear of him? It seems the longer I look through the book the more I keep changing my mind on what breed to use!!! I can't wait for Spring!!

We used Autobahn last year for pretty much the same purpose. Won;t know much till calving starts in a coupleo f weeks.

dun

I have 20 units of Hot Spot in my tank. I really like him. He has a pretty well stacked pedigree. And I like the chrome.
The simmy clean up bull I use is a 734 son and getting up there in age.

Accelerated Genetics Has a Meyer bull in there new book called Red Line (1959613). Anyone have any thoughts on him???

The Red Line bull looks good. I checked him out myself. Really long, deep & muscled. He is a growth bull, not a Calving Ease or milk bull. So I would use him on cows with good milk.
Legacy is a good maternal bull. Needs to be used on deep cows, because he tends to produce cattle needing more depth. His yearlings look much better than his calves - they are slow starters but make nice cows. I plan on using a son of his Dream On with ABS
Autobahn is another choice for a red maternal trait bull.

Thanks for all the info! I'm really limited to Select Sires only, unless I take up the offer from the neighbor who will store any semen and inseminate for us(hate to bother him). I only have the five head for now. The ABS tech. wouldn't come out to our place, not his area I guess. I was leaning toward Autobahn and now hearing good things I might use him.

Latest posts