Maternal ABS hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
Who would be your pick for a maternal hereford bull from ABS? Seems like they are running a little thin on good hereford bulls at the moment.

I really like R294 but lately all thats available on his is sexed male semen. I would prefer to stay with a polled bull but may consider horned. I have a few hereford cows that I really like and want to find a bull that will improve their utters and phenotype.

Do you care about horns? If not that Harland bull is about as good and proven bull they have semen available on. Have not been that impressed with the Hereford bull lineup ABS has offered lately. Genex and Accelerated Genetics have a lot better bulls to choose from if you know what you are looking for. Personally we like to purchase semen directly from a reputable breeder who is using the bull heavily in their herd when we can.

Not sure where else you can get semen from but of all the cows we have the 3 bulls we have used AI that made great maternal dams are Revolution 4R, Logic, and On Target 936. Most guys that are offering semen on bulls for AI will ship semen directly to you if you have a tank to store it in.

Warrior2154":3fngi7kp said:
We are going to try Juice Box some

I really liked juice box epd's and looks but I couldn't find much info on calves he has sired.

SPH":u123vjf4 said:
Do you care about horns? If not that Harland bull is about as good and proven bull they have semen available on. Have not been that impressed with the Hereford bull lineup ABS has offered lately. Genex and Accelerated Genetics have a lot better bulls to choose from if you know what you are looking for. Personally we like to purchase semen directly from a reputable breeder who is using the bull heavily in their herd when we can.

Not sure where else you can get semen from but of all the cows we have the 3 bulls we have used AI that made great maternal dams are Revolution 4R, Logic, and On Target 936. Most guys that are offering semen on bulls for AI will ship semen directly to you if you have a tank to store it in.

I prefer to stay with polled Herefords. As of right now my only sources for semen are Genex which has recently put a rep in my area and ABS.

I've always heard Domino 3027's made great cows. I've never seen any milking daughters, just a handful of steers and they performed well. You might also look at Revved Up on the polled side of things. I've seen some of those and they've all been pretty nice.

I've read the same thing about domino 3027. I may end up using him on some of my angus cows but would really like to stick with a polled bull for my Herefords

We are going to sample him on some our black commercial cows. Our ABS rep liked him and so we are going to try him.

GN+":hivbxgsj said:
I've always heard Domino 3027's made great cows. I've never seen any milking daughters, just a handful of steers and they performed well. You might also look at Revved Up on the polled side of things. I've seen some of those and they've all been pretty nice.
Agree with the revved up. Saw a few daughters in person. They have good udders and are raising great calves from what I saw.

If we were to use a horned Hereford bull 3027 would probably be 1st on our list.

Haven't looked at the Genex website lately but after looking at their current lineup I am underwhelmed at what they have in their lineup. They hit home runs when they had About Time and Revolution 4R in their lineup not long ago and those 2 bulls have made huge impacts in the Hereford breed. Good luck finding semen on those 2 bulls at an affordable price right now. Two Hereford bulls I have seen some really good progeny out of lately are GERBER ANODYNE 001 and R LEADER 6964 Both are going to cost you if you buy semen on them though. Hometown 10Y is a Hereford bull that I have seen a lot of good calves out of too. We bred some cows AI to a son of his KT SMALL TOWN KID 5051 this year and on his dam side there are 3 Dam of Distinction. He's a bit young and unproven at this point but so was Revolution and 936 when we first used them and those 2 bulls have have added more than any bulls we have used AI in recent years.

From ABS, I'm using Juice Box on all of my Hometown daughters. I'll know more when they drop in the fall. He's got a video or two on You Tube. Saw a full sib to JB in the latest Hereford World and was pretty impressed. If you get Hereford World, he's on page 242. MPH 10H Splash.

For maternal in mind, Hometown is one of my tops. ST Gen has a son I've been sampling with female sorted semen.

I've been trying to primarily use female sorted semen on my Herefords for about a year now (way soft Herf bull market). Had good results from ST. If you're not afraid of going out of the ABS box, I'd take a look at ST. They have a pretty dang good lineup of Herefords with female sorted semen. Their Horned lineup isn't too shabby either.

***EDITED To add:
Box Top is a Juice Box son, he's also in Hereford World, and I've seen him around on the web.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the info

I've looked at Juice Box several times and really like the way he looks and his numbers. I did lots of searches trying to find people who had used him and really couldn't find anything.

The one bull that Genex has that I've seen and seen several of his progeny that I feel is one of the best polled bulls I've seen as an individual and as a sire is NJW 33TB 100W Trust 167Y. He is homo polled. He was the first polled bull Indian Mound used when they started developing a polled herd. So took him a few years to make a name for himself. Now several good herds have bought an interest in him and using him. And his progeny are being noticed and selling well. If not for his pedigree I would of owned some of his progeny. Nothing wrong with it except personal preference. I saw a bull out of a daughter of his sell this spring. He was a very good bull and one of the top selling polled bulls that day. Know IMR has several top producing daughters or his and now that he is being used in other herds I expect the word to get out about his daughters and demand for his semen to rise. If you decide to go horned you can't go wrong with 3027 but also have seen some good cows by Sensation. Also have seen progeny of 1321 that I really like. I would like to have some of that influence in our herd. And like mentioned 408 is like 3027 very solid and proven. But all of the latter mentioned bulls are horned.

SPH said:
If we were to use a horned Hereford bull 3027 would probably be 1st on our list.

Haven't looked at the Genex website lately but after looking at their current lineup I am underwhelmed at what they have in their lineup. They hit home runs when they had About Time and Revolution 4R in their lineup not long ago and those 2 bulls have made huge impacts in the Hereford breed. Good luck finding semen on those 2 bulls at an affordable price right now. Two Hereford bulls I have seen some really good progeny out of lately are GERBER ANODYNE 001 and R LEADER 6964 Both are going to cost you if you buy semen on them though. Hometown 10Y is a Hereford bull that I have seen a lot of good calves out of too. We bred some cows AI to a son of his KT SMALL TOWN KID 5051 this year and on his dam side there are 3 Dam of Distinction. He's a bit young and unproven at this point but so was Revolution and 936 when we first used them and those 2 bulls have have added more than any bulls we have used AI in recent years.

What are you seeing from your small town kid calves?

What does maternal mean? In KY fescue tolerance is important for most of us, so there may be some options here that can tolerate fescue with built in longevity and convenience traits (unless you require the ABS tech to do the AI work):
http://www.sustainablegenetics.com/hereford.html
I am in the catch 22 of having an extremely good linebred Trask bull on the farm, I need to sell him but don't want to sell him. He is a little larger framed than the sustainable genetics lineup. Just hard to let the extremely good ones leave. They stay fat on grass.

My concern with KT Small Town is his mature frame size. In this area calves with a frame size under 5.5 are docked. His frame size is a 5.0. Otherwise I really like some things about him and his progeny. We are using a bull now that is a frame size 5.5 and many feel he is border line on being too small. Will know what the buyers feel this fall.

ez14. said:
SPH said:

Love them so far! His calves really stand out in our calf crop so far. Good good bone and muscle and a little extra hip to them. I posted a few pictures here the other month: https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=119788 The 2G bull, the heifer in the 9th and 11th picture and the 5G and 6G bull calves are sired by him. We bred him AI again this year and also bred some cows to BEHM 100W Cuda 504C this year who is another bull that we know some breeders who are using him and are pleased with the results they are getting. I'm guessing we'll be buying more semen on him again after we use up what we have.

SPH said:
ez14. said:
SPH said:

Love them so far! His calves really stand out in our calf crop so far. Good good bone and muscle and a little extra hip to them. I posted a few pictures here the other month: https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=119788 The 2G bull, the heifer in the 9th and 11th picture and the 5G and 6G bull calves are sired by him. We bred him AI again this year and also bred some cows to BEHM 100W Cuda 504C this year who is another bull that we know some breeders who are using him and are pleased with the results they are getting. I'm guessing we'll be buying more semen on him again after we use up what we have.
just bred my cows to him June 29th hopefully they stick.

I really like that 6G calf

SPH said:
ez14. said:
SPH said:

We bred to Cuda this year. Hopefully we have some nice calves from him.