Mastitis!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

The CEO

Reaction score
I bought a cow and didn't know until after the fact that the cow had mastitis really bad for about three years and last year being the worst. Last year the previous owners took the calf off the cow, and the vet gave shots to dry her up because two quarters were dry and the other two were really big and had some blood in the milk. My question is. Can her calf this year be kept on the cow or should I pull it off like they did last year and bottle it? I am going to sell this cow, but I would like to keep the calf alive. Do you think that the calf could be kept on the cow if I milked her down really good right after she had the calf? Also, is there a shot or something that I could give the cow to help any?

Thanks!

As far as I know, blood in the milk is NOT a sign of mastitis, it is usually from edema (not saying she didn't also have mastitis).
Mastitis can kill a cow. You have to decide if you want to risk treating her and not being able to ship her. You might wait til she calves, get the calf going, watch the udder close. Milking her out may help, I don't know. You need input from a dairy person - Milkmaid will know. You can PM her.

Given that 2 quarters are already dead, I think it's a safe assumption that the problem with the other two is mastitis and not edema. Mastitis has a tendency to spread, especially when the cow is nursing a calf. If she really has mastitis in 2 quarters and the other 2 quarters are already dead and no longer producing... just ship her. When a cow has mastitis for 3 weeks it's hard enough to clear up, let alone 3 years. Don't waste your money.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":hzb170ta said:
As far as I know, blood in the milk is NOT a sign of mastitis, it is usually from edema (not saying she didn't also have mastitis).
Mastitis can kill a cow. You have to decide if you want to risk treating her and not being able to ship her. You might wait til she calves, get the calf going, watch the udder close. Milking her out may help, I don't know. You need input from a dairy person - Milkmaid will know. You can PM her.
blood in the milk means a bloodvessel burst in her bagg.an that should clear up in a few days.but if the cow is already a 2 teater.i think id calve her out.an if she gets mastitis cut her head off.an then bottle raise the calf.personally speaking that cow is a cull.

Thanks for all your help! I definitely will get rid of the cow. Looks like I will be bottling a calf for awhile. :(

Latest posts