?MASTITIS?

Help Support CattleToday:

lilmac

Reaction score
Its late, I'm tired, and going to bed. But first, I reluctantly ask for help. :oops: I did the search thing and found 225 hits for mastitis. I did not look up every one. I would like to know the symtoms. I have a cow that has teets that are 4-5 times there normal size. She has a 9 mo. calf and is due next mo. But the teets are larger than normal. There is no abnormal color, or discharge. She also seams to be loosing weight.
??????Mac :help: :help:

lilmac":23oiobhz said:
Its late, I'm tired, and going to bed. But first, I reluctantly ask for help. :oops: I did the search thing and found 225 hits for mastitis. I did not look up every one. I would like to know the symtoms. I have a cow that has teets that are 4-5 times there normal size. She has a 9 mo. calf and is due next mo. But the teets are larger than normal. There is no abnormal color, or discharge. She also seams to be loosing weight.

Why reluctant? This is the place to come for advice - but the odd time it also gets a person spanked! :D

First - 9 month old calf - still on her?

Remove it immediately. Separate immediately.

Tits larger than normal. How old is the cow? It could simply be bag break down due to age.

Weight issue may be due to - no is likely due to large calf still sucking while the cow trying to raise a calf to term.

The calf may be turning and getting ready to deliver - that often makes a cow look like she is slimming up.

Exactly what do you mean by "losing weight"?

Mastitis in my cattle usually looks like a hard patch settling in the bottom of the bag - I notice that the bag does not "flex" when she walks - it is solid.

If it is a bad case of mastitis the entire bag may become solid.

I happen to know that what we do is not the best - but if I plan on shipping her after weaning, I let the calf suck anyways. I will supplement with a GOOD quality replacer with a HIGH FAT content if necessary. Sometimes this will allow the cow to improve and actually feed the calf.

Sometimes I will medicate as required - only if I plan to keep the cow - I do not know you or your experience level so I will not enter into a drug discussion at this stage.

Have you considered having a veterinarian out to look at her?

If this 9 month old calf is sucking she is stealing from the calf that is about to be born. In fact she is stealing the best milk - first milk or colostrum.

This older calf suucking often causes mastitis.

You might have it and you might not.

I suspect the cow is hurting due to management probs. If I am correct and you have the original calf in with the cow you have created the prob as she will do her darndest to feed them both.

When the calf is born, the older one will kick the little fella' out of the picture and take it all for itself.

More info will get you more response. Let the questions fly.

One final thing. One of the resident experts on this sort of thing is known as milkmaid. She is a young lady with far more knowledge on these issues than this old S.O.B. I usually solve tough probs by shooting them. Where we come from cattle are basically worthless.

I listen when she speaks on this stuff - so should you - pm her if she does not show up.

Regards,

Bez!

lilmac":2t9trjhn said:

Lilmac, you really need to get her current calf weaned - it should have been done 2-3 months ago. Cows need a few months between calves or they will lose condition fast! If you don't wean the calf she has raised he will rob the new calf of colostrum and you're going to have a mess. The tits being larger than normal sounds like a simple case of balloon tits which is caused by the udder breaking down. How old is this cow? She is losing weight because she's trying to support last years calf while providing nutrition to this years calf - simple as that. Wean last years calf and supplement her until she's back in shape. From this point forward, wean your calves at about 6 months of age and the cows won't pull down if they have enough feed. I can't help you with the mastitis aspect because we've never had a case that I'm aware of.

I'd almost be willing to bet you that cow is going to have a new calf on the ground within 20 days. :nod:

Get that 9 month old calf weaned NOW.

Long story short, with the information you provided there's a 99% chance she's begun bagging up in preparation for her next calf. I've seen it enough times in lactating cows -- sure isn't ideal but it happens from time to time with those dairy cows where we milk them as long as we can anyways. Cow really needs 60 days dry; if she's a really good cow she should raise that calf OK on a shorter dry time, but you must give her several months dry before the NEXT calf.

Thanks guys, I should have given more info., but like I said it was late and I wanted to get some of you night owls on this. :lol:
The cow is five years old and this is her 3rd calf due. The 9 mo. old calf has been weaned for 2 - 2 1/2 months. With the first calf, she showed so little sighns of being preg. that I was begining to wander if she took, or was open. By that I mean she did not bag up so you could tell any diff. and she was already fat. Until the last six weeks when she started to swell, and bounce. The second calf was not much diff.
By loosing weight, I don't have scales but she is showing a little rib and hip bone that was not there before.
She is starting to bounce so milkmaid you are probably right about the 20 days ;-)
Any way the bag seams soft so I am watching her close, I was just wandering about the symptoms of mastitis :?:
Alacowman she is reg. longhorn
Thanks Mac

Mastitis is usually just one quarter...at a time, at least. So if you're seeing the entire udder beginning to swell then it's a good bet she's just bagging up. If you're only seeing one teat swell and the rest of the udder looks dry, then you most likely have a problem. Going by your description I'd say she's just bagging up.

Latest posts