Mastitis, Need Help

Help Support CattleToday:

DitchBank

Reaction score
Problem 1

I have a cow that I am pretty sure has mastitis, I have never experienced it before so I am not sure. Her teets are really big in front and look as if they were swollen. Her back ones are kinda hard but aren't really swollen. If needed I could get a picture to clarify it. Anyway she has a little hiefer calf and is a great mother even though it is really uncomfortable for her, and when she's feeding it she is in pain, she makes sure the calf gets what it needs every day. The calf only eats off the two front ones. Can mastitis take care of it's self or dose it have to be treated? I tried putting her (the mother) in a chute yesterday to give her a penicillian shot and she went nuts, I couldn't get it in to her but I will try again if needed. Anyone have any tips or advice on this?

Problem 2

Okay I have one more problem I have a calf that could see fine at birth and also has a great mother that takes care of him. The night he was born it was really bad weather, snowing and windy, so I helped dry him off and put him under a heat lamp that night. Now his corneas are discolored and he can't see that well, yesterday I don't think he could see at all but seems to be a little better today. Do you think the heat lamp burned his eyes, if so will they get better? I have put other calfs under heat lamps and this has never happened. Would LA 200 help or the oily stuff help to put in his eyes. Again just looking for some tips and advice.

Thanks

How long ago did #1 calve? Is it mastitis or jsut edema? You gotta know to treat it properly. Giving any antibiotic with out knowing why is just shooting in the dark. It's a waste of moeny and won;t necesarilly do any good, could even cause future problems.

DitchBank":31k6t9w4 said:
Problem 1

I have a cow that I am pretty sure has mastitis, I have never experienced it before so I am not sure. Her teets are really big in front and look as if they were swollen. Her back ones are kinda hard but aren't really swollen. If needed I could get a picture to clarify it. Anyway she has a little hiefer calf and is a great mother even though it is really uncomfortable for her, and when she's feeding it she is in pain, she makes sure the calf gets what it needs every day. The calf only eats off the two front ones. Can mastitis take care of it's self or dose it have to be treated? I tried putting her (the mother) in a chute yesterday to give her a penicillian shot and she went nuts, I couldn't get it in to her but I will try again if needed. Anyone have any tips or advice on this?

Problem 2

Okay I have one more problem I have a calf that could see fine at birth and also has a great mother that takes care of him. The night he was born it was really bad weather, snowing and windy, so I helped dry him off and put him under a heat lamp that night. Now his corneas are discolored and he can't see that well, yesterday I don't think he could see at all but seems to be a little better today. Do you think the heat lamp burned his eyes, if so will they get better? I have put other calfs under heat lamps and this has never happened. Would LA 200 help or the oily stuff help to put in his eyes. Again just looking for some tips and advice.

Thanks
#1 get the cow up an milk all 4 of her teats out.to see if theres any clumps of yellow in the milk.an also to see if she has a hard or hot teat.an if she has any othose signs she has mastitis.to trat go to your farm store an tell them you want something to trat mastitis.an they will get something for you.an you shoot it up the infected teats.warning those treatments have meat withhold times.that you cant butcher the cow.2 as for the calves eyes i dont know what if any of his problem might be.

I had a similar problem back in early summer, I treated it by milking the quarter out, and giving her a shot of penicillian for a couple of days. I don't think I would inject anything up in that quarter if the calf is still sucking her. Chances are the calf would suck it out before it would do her any good, not to mention it can't be very good for the calf. Once the swelling starts going down and the fever gets out of it the calf will probally start nurseing it again and that should take care of it.Good Luck.

Latest posts