Massive turnaround

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
Yeh, well thats what we have had here in our part of Australia. From what I reckon was the worst conditions of drought that I have had in the 8 years that I have been in this neck of the woods it has changed in the space of a couple of weeks to some of the best conditions. We started getting rain in the first week of December in the form of thunderstorms and we have been getting them ever since, even though it has been storms it has been pretty gentle and the country took up all the water until it reached saturation point at about Xmas time and started to run off, 345mm (13.8") for December and so far 40mm (1.5'') in the first few days of Jan. Our soil is very light sandy granite so does not hold moisture very well but when it gets saturated like this the water feeding down from the watershed along the border behind us lasts for a while and will ensure the feed will continue to grow for the rest of summer. We could do with a dry spell to let the waterlogged areas drain but you get a bit greedy and like to see those clouds come over.
Just a note, Jilleroo who lives out in the NW of our state is still in dire need of rain facing their 3rd failed wet season if it doesn't come. There were some reports of good storm rain out her way today so fingers crossed she may have fluked one. The forecast for this summer was for below chance of average rain so we feel lucky that our coin toss landed on its edge.
It has been great to be able to stop feeding. I did prepare early and made the decision in early November to wean the calves which were 3-4 months old and I sold the cows that I would normally sell after weaning their calves in April. I sold them as cow/calves and took a bit of a hit on them at $720 but I was miles ahead once they went out the front gate. I have no regrets even though the season turned around, I feel pretty comfortable now and will have plenty of feed stockpiled for winter.
Here are the cows, looking very content under the trees. Most have a good bit more weight to put on but still plenty of time before the grass stops growing.

These are the calves, I am still feeding them a 16% prot grain mix as they would still be on their mothers until the end of March but I am very happy with how they are going and don't think they will be down on weight. I weighed them last weekend and the weights ranged from 200kg (660lb) to 277kg (610lb)

Just walking up the track from taking the photos one of our friendly little critters surprised us sunning itself beside the track. It is amazing how something as black as this blends in with the green and other colours. This is a small red belly black snake and is venomous but not as bad as our brown snake. These are fairly timid and not a real problem, I just leave them alone as I don't want to encourage the dogs to take them on. I have heard that some claim they eat the young brown snakes.

Ken

Glad to hear all is well there. Maybe jilleroo will get the much needed rain too. Im ready to see some green like you have around here.

Ken, nice to see you getting rain. It looks like a great time for you. Your dog is much like Blue.

In the US, black snake is applied to several non-venomous species. As a member of the same family of snake that the cobra belongs to, the brown snake venom is a significant threat to life if bitten. The LD 50 is rated second in the world for terrestrial species. Do you kill the browns and do you find them more aggressive?

inyati13":3qfzx79p said:
Ken, nice to see you getting rain. It looks like a great time for you. Your dog is much like Blue.

In the US, black snake is applied to several non-venomous species. As a member of the same family of snake that the cobra belongs to, the brown snake venom is a significant threat to life if bitten. The LD 50 is rated second in the world for terrestrial species. Do you kill the browns and do you find them more aggressive?
No Ron all snakes I just leave to go their own way. The blacks are the main ones we see out in the open sunning themselves. Most people get bitten by snakes when they are trying to kill them and I think this is when the browns are most aggressive so if I leave them alone no problem. Like I said I don't like to encourage the dogs to take them on, most of the time they don't even see them which is strange for Bo as she is a very strong hunter and has a very good nose. Do snakes not give out much of a scent? Maybe part of their concealment evolution?
Ken

It sure looks nice down there now!

I haven't seen Jilleroo in ages.. Hope she gets some rain

Your calves seem to have great weights!

wbvs58":29xnb9y3 said:
inyati13":29xnb9y3 said:

No Ron all snakes I just leave to go their own way. The blacks are the main ones we see out in the open sunning themselves. Most people get bitten by snakes when they are trying to kill them and I think this is when the browns are most aggressive so if I leave them alone no problem. Like I said I don't like to encourage the dogs to take them on, most of the time they don't even see them which is strange for Bo as she is a very strong hunter and has a very good nose. Do snakes not give out much of a scent? Maybe part of their concealment evolution?
Ken

Ken, a snake is like a chicken. They do not have separated urine and feces discharge orifices. They have a cloaca. You know that. But needed that background on the table. The area around the cloaca has a musk associated with it. More or less depending on the family. So the answer is yes. When I was doing my thesis, I ran into one of the most unique people one will ever meet in a lifetime. I was a graduate student and he was an old (by my standards then) man. He was called the Snake Man. He had a fox terrier that he used to hunt snakes. He helped me all summer the year I wrote my thesis. I gave him $5 a day and he stayed with me in the research area all day helping me collect snakes. His dog found them by their odor!!! I picked the old man up in the morning, took him to a bootlegger (Rowan County was dry at the time, he bought a pint of Very Old Barton whiskey, and he stayed out with me all day. His dog was amazing. Denzel was the old man's name. I could tell some interesting stories that came out of that summer.

That's good to know Ron it seems my dogs must just choose to ignore them which is what I want.
I have a feeling we might hear a bit more about Denzel.
Yes Nesi, while my soil is very light and poor it is surprising what it will do though. I always find the country interesting with the rocky outcrops and undulating terrain. The green at the moment gives good contrast with the rocks and tree trunks. I guess it is teasing you guys a bit being in the depth of winter.
Ken

Ron, I just looked up the LD50's and for our red bellied black it is 2.53. For our common brown it is .041 so significantly more dangerous.
Ken

You're right... you have 6" of grass, we have 6" of snow!.. I know where the cows would rather be!

Wow, that sure is a difference in the LD50.. (61x)..

wbvs58":37d0cl26 said:
That's good to know Ron it seems my dogs must just choose to ignore them which is what I want.
I have a feeling we might hear a bit more about Denzel.
Yes Nesi, while my soil is very light and poor it is surprising what it will do though. I always find the country interesting with the rocky outcrops and undulating terrain. The green at the moment gives good contrast with the rocks and tree trunks. I guess it is teasing you guys a bit being in the depth of winter.
Ken
My mother always said she could smell a snake before actually seeing it, and she was very rarely wrong in stating there was one nearby--usually coral or copperhead.

Latest posts