Massey Furgeson

Help Support CattleToday:

shutskytj

Reaction score
1990 Massey Ferguson 231 40hp. farm tractor with a big ben 330 bucket loader, diesel engine 2X4. In good condition. Asking 7500. Does anyone know about these tractors are they reliable is this too much money he is asking?

That tractor normally runs around $8500 for that model in this area (WV, VA, & TN). By the time you add the bucket, I'd say it's a really good deal. The only tractor that I have close to that is a MF 240S similar year, similar size which we bought new. Had a little hydraulic problem about 3 years ago but otherwise it has never been to the shop. Starts without hesitation even on the coldest days.
Does the 231 have a lot of hours on it ? I think those were primarily designed for hobby farmers and landscapers and I don't believe it is quite 40hp- I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong.

No not alot of hours, used not heavy either a hobby horse farmer used it. Add just says low hours

I believe if I needed a tractor that size, I'd go take a look at it and probably take my checkbook and a trailer with me. Deals like that don't last long - I would check to make sure the hydraulics move smoothly. Otherwise, parts are readily available from your local dealer and online. Actually all you will really need are filters.

Good chore tractor - decent price - go look before it is gone.

Bez!

Good tractor, sounds like a good buy. I'm like some of the others I'd take a check book and trailer with me.Some things to look at are to see which type of hydralics it has. Some had rear remotes and others had a front pump kit. Either will work fine, but it is nice to have remotes on the rear if you need them for other things. But that can also be added fairly reasonable.

They are decent Tractors. I've always heard they are a little slow in the hydraulic department. It's about a 32-34 HP Tractor.I'd say it would be fine for light duty jobs, I have not seen one around with a loader in a while.Of course I'd be looking at hours, if it's a repaint, tires, leaks etc. Just remember, it's used. Buyer beware.

shutskytj":yxoskzba said:
1990 Massey Ferguson 231 40hp. farm tractor with a big ben 330 bucket loader, diesel engine 2X4. In good condition. Asking 7500. Does anyone know about these tractors are they reliable is this too much money he is asking?

It's a good light weight tractor. What ya plan to do with it? Price is good if in good condition and it will meet your needs. A new 431 can be had for $13,000 without loader. Should give ya an idea about what it is worth.

Well my inital plan is to replace my Belarus which is a 53 horse bucket loader but 4X4 if I get the MF I will have to sell the Belarus and I don't know if that is a good idea or not the Belarus is still running fine I do have connections for parts in NY but I still wanted to upgrade and this tractor I may can afford I don't do extreme heavy work I did with the Belarus when I was clearing fence lines and stuff when I first moved I just don't know if I want to go to a 2X4 can't make up my mind

Basically I want to move manure, mow fields and move round bales maybe sometimes pull trees when I am clearing

shutskytj":3q4df9ek said:
Well my inital plan is to replace my Belarus which is a 53 horse bucket loader but 4X4 if I get the MF I will have to sell the Belarus and I don't know if that is a good idea or not the Belarus is still running fine I do have connections for parts in NY but I still wanted to upgrade and this tractor I may can afford I don't do extreme heavy work I did with the Belarus when I was clearing fence lines and stuff when I first moved I just don't know if I want to go to a 2X4 can't make up my mind
I think you'd be taking a step backwards, going from 4WD to 2WD.That 231 Aint going to be enough Tractor for what you want to do in the way of moving rolls,but it's a good utility tractor for mowing and light duty stuff.If i had to compare the 231 to another Tractor, it would be about the size of a Ford 2000.

Crowderfarms":sho2g7jg said:
shutskytj":sho2g7jg said:
I think you'd be taking a step backwards, going from 4WD to 2WD.That 231 Aint going to be enough Tractor for what you want to do in the way of moving rolls,but it's a good utility tractor for mowing and light duty stuff.If i had to compare the 231 to another Tractor, it would be about the size of a Ford 2000.

Good points Crowder didn't seem to smart to downsize.

Well it was to get newer I guess I don't do alot of heavy stuff the rolls are only 900 pounds but like I said I was thinking brand, price and age

Latest posts