Masculinity???

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I read somewhere (on a different forum than this) that bulls seem to be losing their masculinity, and/or that beef producers are trending toward that (like bulls with more of a feminine head, less occurrence of broad shoulders, etc.). Is this really true?
And why, is it because they're leaning towards more lower birth weights and calving ease? Or am I missing something here?

I dunno about you (not answering my question here), but from seeing all the bulls on this forum, it doesn't seem like that bulls are losing that masculinity, but there are some "crappy" bulls posted on here too with hatchet butts, and small frame and things like that. But does the "crappy" -ness have something to do with that lack-there-of?

I'm just curious (no problem with that right?) and this probably has been discussed before. And there's probably a simple answer ot this, so chew me out if there is. But I honestly would like to hear your thoughts on this...if you have any worth saying....

the good bull's ive seen lately in catalogs and at sales look pretty masculine. alot more atheletic and uniform front to back and plenty of volume. talked too a registerd breeder about the easy calvers that commercial folks use. because i use the same bull on my heifers that i use on my cows. being the problem behind low weaning weights. im gonna have too turn the heat up on my heifers . they are capable of delivering larger calves. im leaving money on the table

Just my opinion, but bulls look nothing like they used to. To me.

They don't have the muscle and wide front end of the bulls of old.

Bulls should look athletic. They look almost too pretty now.

well ive not been breeding cattle as long as you have but i thought they were intentionly getting away from from the wide front ends. to a smoother front . but my personal preferance is one that pretty even front to back , not wider in the front and narrows to the rear. but i dont like em narrow in the chest either like too look down their side standing in front and see their front legs and rear lined up and some hip

Wouldn't they also want em smaller so's there'd be a less chance of crushing the back end of the heifer/cow (if she's a small one) their breeding too? I just thought of it now, that it'll maybe also have something to do with the size factor.

IluvABbeef":fzt2e20l said:
Wouldn't they also want em smaller so's there'd be a less chance of crushing the back end of the heifer/cow (if she's a small one) their breeding too? I just thought of it now, that it'll maybe also have something to do with the size factor.
well thats a given. alot of breeders keep digg'n for that curve bender bull when the cow is the one that should be bending the curves.

Latest posts