Marriage

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Joesph Cambell on Marriage and love affair

"Marriage is not a love affair. A love affair is a totally different thing. A marriage is a commitment to that which you are. That person is literally your other half. And you and the other are one. A love affair isn't that. That is a relationship for pleasure, and when it gets to be unpleasurable, it's off. But a marriage is a life commitment, and a life commitment means the prime concern of your life. If marriage is not the prime concern, you're not married....The Puritans called marriage "the little church within the Church." In marriage, every day you love, and every day you forgive. It is an ongoing sacrament – love and forgiveness.... Like the yin/yang symbol....Here I am, and here she is, and here we are. Now when I have to make a sacrifice, I'm not sacrificing to her, I'm sacrificing to the relationship. Resentment against the other one is wrongly placed. Life in in the relationship, that's where your life now is. That's what a marriage is – whereas, in a love affair, you have two lives in a more or less successful relationship to each other for a certain length of time, as long as it seems agreeable."
― Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth

That part about commitment is what's been left out or forgotten for much of the last 40 or 50 years, though I have hope it's turned the corner.

Can't argue with that. Even some of the most ardent bickerers and big time ranchers should be able to agree on that.

Latest posts