marbling our steers for market

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I see there is a question about marbling already but it doesnt answer mine so if anyone knows which I am sure that with all of the smart people on this website that someone can answer me..anyways is it best to fatten a steer for the slaughter house for 30 days or is it true you will get the best marbling from them if you do it 90 days..There are 2 angus steers and one herferd if genetics have a role in it..We are feeding them on top of there alfalfa in round feeders 50 lbs of wet cob a day broke up in 25 lb feedings, for all three of coarse..I thought it sure seemed like a lot but maybe not.. Any ideas or answers on if we need to feed longer for better marbling.. :?:

fishermanswoman":sl4v9jey said:
I see there is a question about marbling already but it doesnt answer mine so if anyone knows which I am sure that with all of the smart people on this website that someone can answer me..anyways is it best to fatten a steer for the slaughter house for 30 days or is it true you will get the best marbling from them if you do it 90 days..There are 2 angus steers and one herferd if genetics have a role in it..We are feeding them on top of there alfalfa in round feeders 50 lbs of wet cob a day broke up in 25 lb feedings, for all three of coarse..I thought it sure seemed like a lot but maybe not.. Any ideas or answers on if we need to feed longer for better marbling.. :?:
Should be put on feed for a minimum of 120 days and more likely on 180 to 200 days for high choice grading. These animals for high marbling should be put on feed after weaning. Backgrounded and stocker animals are going to have a lower percentage of cattle grading choice. Genetics determine the potential for the ability of the animal to marble but research shows that it is influenced by feeding at 5- 7 months of age in order to tap into that potential.

hayray":69vzgdx6 said:
fishermanswoman":69vzgdx6 said:
Should be put on feed for a minimum of 120 days and more likely on 180 to 200 days for high choice grading. These animals for high marbling should be put on feed after weaning. Backgrounded and stocker animals are going to have a lower percentage of cattle grading choice. Genetics determine the potential for the ability of the animal to marble but research shows that it is influenced by feeding at 5- 7 months of age in order to tap into that potential.

So Let's say I want to feed out a few calves to eat, if I creep weed in the 5 to 7 month range and then wean, I should have more marbling in the meet?
I wonder if I creep fed ground ear corn free choose if it would hurt the calves?

alabama":1jkr7u8q said:
hayray":1jkr7u8q said:
fishermanswoman":1jkr7u8q said:

So Let's say I want to feed out a few calves to eat, if I creep weed in the 5 to 7 month range and then wean, I should have more marbling in the meet?
I wonder if I creep fed ground ear corn free choose if it would hurt the calves?

The stuff I have heard is that creep feeding will also increase your chances and then combined with putting on feed at a younger age as well as having more British type genetics.

Latest posts