Marbling,Milk,BW

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
Which as a whole has more marbling: Hereford or Simmental?
Which as a whole has lower birth weights: Hereford or Simmental?
Which as a whole has better milk traits: Hereford, angus, or simmental?

I know I know... and someone is gonna say piedmontese, and someone will say murray gray, and someone will say beefalo, someone might say mini black herefords, but I am only interested in the answer to the original posted question...

KANSAS":3086h0hq said:

I don't think there's a single answer to any of these questions. WITHIN BREEDS you'll find cattle that marble better or worse, have heavy or light calves and milk better or worse.

The trick, IMO, is to find a breed that doesn't necessarily excell in any one trait, but is moderate in all economic traits.

Marbling Hereford
Low BW Hereford
Milk Simmital
At least this is what I think

Here is an unbiased reponse. Herefords(english breed) will possess more marbling than heavier muscled Simmi(continental breed). Herefords will generally produce lower birth weights. As far as milking goes, the Simmi is still used as a dual-purpose animal in Europe. As a result, the American version still remains a heavy milker. Beware the 1700 lb. heavy milker that produces twice the milk but eats four times the feed. Boone

Thank you for the responses. I understand that each animal within the breed may be different which is why I posed the question "as a whole".

Thanks again..

KANSAS":297o2gtp said:
As a whole I think that you are looking at:

Marbling..............................Angus and Hereford run a close race

Lower Birth weight ...............Angus

Milking Ability.......................Simmental

Here's a monkey wrench in the mix -
MARC research says that Simmental sires now calve easier than Herefords and comparable to Angus (within 2%) when used on cows.
Whether that means smaller birth weights - I'm not sure.

As far as marbling - might be equal - Simmentals are the best in the Continentals.
Simmentals are by far the better milker of the two (previously always touted as the heaviest milker of ALL beef breeds, but not sure where they stand now).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":388s8oi2 said:
MARC research says that Simmental sires now calve easier than Herefords and comparable to Angus (within 2%) when used on cows.

As far as marbling - might be equal - Simmentals are the best in the Continentals.
Simmentals are by far the better milker of the two (previously always touted as the heaviest milker of ALL beef breeds, but not sure where they stand now).

Jeanne- I would like to see the figures you are referring to. Not doubting you, just interested. I've seen some older research that shows Simmental as the highest marbling of the continentals, but still a ways behind the major british breeds. It also shows Charolais, Braunvieh, and Pinzgauer as decent marbling continentals, not too far behind Simmies. This could very well have changed. Thanks.

VanC":361e8cgw said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":361e8cgw said:

Jeanne- I would like to see the figures you are referring to. Not doubting you, just interested. I've seen some older research that shows Simmental as the highest marbling of the continentals, but still a ways behind the major british breeds. It also shows Charolais, Braunvieh, and Pinzgauer as decent marbling continentals, not too far behind Simmies. This could very well have changed. Thanks.
I am interested to see the figures too. I wouldn't doubt you ata all Jeanne, just interested.

MikeC":xxms6t19 said:
Marc Research on carcass characteristics:

Note: marbling score numbers...the higher the better.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/research/table4.htm
MikeC, this was the only one I could come up with also, but if you click on the link on the bottom of the page & go to the start of this research, it explains the CROSSES being used. Everything is compared to Angus X Herefords or Hereford X Angus cattle and all the "breeds" listed are actually cattle SIRED by those breeds out of the AXH or HXA cows.

I was quoting our ASA data - yes, I know, each breed likes to interpret data to best suit themselves - but, we also know how easy it is to be sued. Don't think they would "quote" info that isn't correct. This info was also reported at our State Cattlemen's annual meeting last winter by Dr Larry Cundiff, MARC Supervisory Research Geneticist. Sorry - that's the best I can provide.

Latest posts