Manure Piles

Help Support CattleToday:

What do you not understand? I will try to explain it.

The piles of manure would have to be pretty big for a shredder to spread them - the shredder most likely won't get 6 inches from the ground. If your cow pies are tall enough for your shredder to hit them then you have a serious problem of not enough protien in their diets.

sidney411":1exzuf51 said:
What do you not understand? I will try to explain it.

The piles of manure would have to be pretty big for a shredder to spread them - the shredder most likely won't get 6 inches from the ground. If your cow pies are tall enough for your shredder to hit them then you have a serious problem of not enough protien in their diets.

When horses and cattle in their separate pastures stop eating around the piles, I mow them to "level off" the grass/weeds. Works for us. Don't mow any usable grass after animals have had their fill on that area.

Sidney, pretty much all of it, but RAB's post clarified it. I was trying to correlate your post to spreaders, not shredders. Sorry, brain fart again. :oops:

Alan,

Those little spreaders get the job done for small hobby farms. But be careful, NEVER back up with a full spreader that is in gear. That will cause a major break down every time. Even backing up just a foot or two will tear things up.

Dave

ctlbaron":1v9luelk said:
Come on guys. Think about it. Are you going to stand behind a manure spreader?

I would if it was a side sling

I have had people come over and scoop up my manure to use in their gardens, and yard plants...you can try a "freebie ad" in your weekly reader newspaper.

Compost it

http://mailman.cloudnet.com/pipermail/compost/2002-June/009531.html

For a while I had a helper to turn our Bins every few weeks - later I met a man that operated the County Compost Yard - I'd take a truck load in FREE and come back with a truck load of Compost FREE - Once in a while he'd come by and I'd give him Product from our plot FREE

Dogs
I cut the top and bottoms out of Plastic Barrels and fill them as I clean Kennels - stick a hose in them or sprinkle the every other week - Once a month or every 2 week I push them over and refill them + I have all the wormes my garden, friends, fish, fishing and I need
Takes me about 1 hour to turn 8 barrels. The garden and flowers love it

There is a ton of stuff on the Net and at the USDA

grulla":18uv1ozn said:
I have had people come over and scoop up my manure to use in their gardens, and yard plants...you can try a "freebie ad" in your weekly reader newspaper.

Watch it - - The sale or giving away of Hot Manure to be hauled OFF your property is Illigal in some states

Hauling it to Compost Yard is OK!

Alan":1yvyi4j6 said:
What do some of you people do with your manure piles? We use Cedar chips, almost dust (not shavings) and can see our pile is going to be out of control soon, We have only had our 6 horses home since the first of April. Have any of you ever tried a manure speader for the pastures that you can pull behind a 4 wheeler? If so how do they work? Hows the chips and waste work as pasture fertilizer? Chip composts quickly?

Don't feel like you need to answer all my questiion, but if you can answer some, or all, please do.

Thanks,
Alan

Spreaders are good but a pain we use them for our garden and friends garden.