Mange

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Anyone had experience with this?

Seems one of the steers (char) has had this for a while, and we're treating it, but it's kinda hard to get rid of...and I can't remember the medicine given to him right off if you're asking.

Noticed on the weekend when I was home that the steer I'm talking about had it on his back, before he had it on his hind legs and a little on the rump. He's eating good (getting bigger, he was pretty thin before, no clue why), and all other things about him are good, just that skin condition.

Some manges on dogs can be cured by consecutive doses of Ivermectin wormers(preferably injectable).

Howdyjabo":wel5z0wp said:
Some manges on dogs can be cured by consecutive doses of Ivermectin wormers(preferably injectable).

ivermectin can kill dogs if they have heartworms, too. i've never seen mange in cattle that i know of. i may have and assumed it was lice. at any rate it went away.

Mange comes from a parasite called "Mange Mites".

Pour 'em and get rid of them. Simple enough. Works on dogs too.

MikeC":2zhrey07 said:
Mange comes from a parasite called "Mange Mites".

Pour 'em and get rid of them. Simple enough. Works on dogs too.

Okay, so I guess a dose of something like Lysoff should do the trick.

Unless there's something else floating around out there...

Sure it's mange...? I'd put a scraping under the microscope.
Nasty ringworm maybe?
Just rambling...sorry. Hope that you get this under control soon. Good luck...DMc

We've used flours of sulfur mixed in bacon grease on dogs as long as I can remember. It works better than anything we could buy. Sulfer is good for anything with hair. We mix it in cattle feed on occasion to help the skin and coat. I also keep out sulfur blocks for the cattle as well. I can't guarantee it does anything but it makes me feel better about it. :)

ctlbaron":37qe31gr said:
We've used flours of sulfur mixed in bacon grease on dogs as long as I can remember. It works better than anything we could buy. Sulfer is good for anything with hair. We mix it in cattle feed on occasion to help the skin and coat. I also keep out sulfur blocks for the cattle as well. I can't guarantee it does anything but it makes me feel better about it. :)

Thanks, that's something new I didn't really know about. Yeah, and something to keep in mind too :)