Mamma Cow experience!

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Last night, I witnessed the coolest thing. Right at dark I went out to unroll a bale of hay for my cows. There are around 55 calving cows in this field. When I finished unrolling the hay I noticed a cow calving on the other side of the tree line maybe 125 yards from the herd. I drove my tractor over to check on her. The cow and calf were all alone and doing fine. I was sitting there on my tractor with the engine shut off and lights on enjoying the pretty evening. It had been dark for around 30 minutes when a pack of coyotes started howling just east of the cow/calf in the creek. All the sudden the tree line in front of me lit up like a Christmas tree with eyes shining and 15 to 20 mamma cows came flying though the tree line bawling and raising cane. They all huddled in a tight circle around that pair and stayed there for about 20 to 25 minutes until after the howling had ceased then slowly dispersed and went back though the tree line where they came from. I thought it was really a neat thing to see. I thought I would share this as I have never seen anything like it. :compute: B&G

That's Mother hood at her best !!! I bet they weren't hereford cows.... LOL Most Herf's only got 1 good eye and would prolapse when they heard the coyotes ... Cool story though

Great story!
I had a similar experience on my previous place where Cougars were a problem.
I heard a sound coming out of one of my Brangus cows that I had never heard before. Kind of a rapid "ma, ma, ma, ma."
When we got there the cows had a calf all circled up between them. The matriarch of the herd was facing off about a 200 ld snarling cougar.
Gotta love um.

We got er shot. :)

cool, I enjoy seeing things like that. it makes the world seem alright.

I too had a mama cow experience yesterday. I had a day old new born with her head between my legs putting an implant in her ear. mama was balling and pawing the ground and the whole bunch circled me. the calf never made a sound. luckily I didn't have to show her my ninja skills.

[q: uote="Rafter S"]I've seen something similar when a couple of strange dogs come into the pasture.[/quote]
wait till you have a stupid dog like I had that follow's you out to the calving pasture @ 2 am when it 40 degrees and raining then the best mother cow you got the dog PO's and they both make a charge at you :help: Luckily there is a bale ring you drive into and camp out there for 2 hrs while the cow circle's the bale ring. :( Now that is liv'n the dream.... Got to love calving season :D

Rafter S":2buh9mlg said:
I've seen something similar when a couple of strange dogs come into the pasture.
I've seen them gather the calves in one spot then most of them haul butt to run off the dogs and left a group to stay with the calves. Granny taught them that trick. Least ways she was always the ring leader in the event.

My cows don't raise much fuss about yotes or black bears, but they sure get riled with cougar or grizzly bear. They make enough of a commotion I know somethings up and I grab the rifle on the way out the door. I found if I watch the cows, I'll see anything that needs to be seen, they'll tell me what's up.

Last summer we had an older cow that got between a mother cow and her newborn to save it from Mexican vultures. I have often wondered why the herd doesn't circle around a cow and newborn to save it from vultures.

M-5":2y8khu29 said:

I too had a mama cow experience yesterday. I had a day old new born with her head between my legs putting an implant in her ear. mama was balling and pawing the ground and the whole bunch circled me. the calf never made a sound. luckily I didn't have to show her my ninja skills.
Friend of mine had a similar experience a month ago..except he wound up with 9 busted ribs (most broke multiple times), a punctured lung, and a severe concussion. One hit him from behind while he was keeping his eye on mama. He's doing better now, I texted him last week and he was weaning himself off pain pills.
Please always be careful!

Lazy M":2smkg6nj said:
M-5":2smkg6nj said:

Friend of mine had a similar experience a month ago..except he wound up with 9 busted ribs (most broke multiple times), a punctured lung, and a severe concussion. One hit him from behind while he was keeping his eye on mama. He's doing better now, I texted him last week and he was weaning himself off pain pills.
Please always be careful!

I usually cut and vac all of mine at the same time and sort them from the cows. I have had a few try to tear a gate off the hinges to get to me in the process. It was worse when I was a teenager before we culled the aggressive ones.

Nesikep":3qix227u said:
My cows don't raise much fuss about yotes or black bears, but they sure get riled with cougar or grizzly bear. They make enough of a commotion I know somethings up and I grab the rifle on the way out the door. I found if I watch the cows, I'll see anything that needs to be seen, they'll tell me what's up.

A cow or a horse is better at letting you know what's coming than a dog. They are always watching.

B&M Farms":3qg7krjt said:
Nesikep":3qg7krjt said:

A cow or a horse is better at letting you know what's coming than a dog. They are always watching.
That's because they have thousands of years of something trying to eat them.
They will show you where what is though.

exactly... My cows know I'll do something about it if they show it to me too... Tizia, Mega's mother showed me numerous bears, which I dealt with... She was a big lumbering cow, but she was also the most keenly observant.. a few weeks back Mega show's me 2 Pyrenees dogs that were 4 miles from home.. I sent them running with a full clip unloaded on their tails.. It cured them!, and Mega was happy again.

1000's of years of stuff trying to eat them does it.. yet they haven't figured out I want the same.. I'm just a little nicer about the process!

There's a series of pictures of some cows (Angus X Simm) that attacked a 2 year old? black bear.. he escaped, but he may have had a lot of broken ribs and maybe didn't survive.. Boy were those cows MAD, they pummeled that bear into mush... one on either side of it... I think they did just fine without horns

Friend of mine that bought Hector said he had 3 yotes in his field (they were thinking of chicken for the menu), but he shot two of them, and the 3rd didn't make it to the fenceline before his horned cows had it gored to death too.

Latest posts