make it simple feed ration

Help Support CattleToday:

rw77

Reaction score
ok peeps . lets make this simple , I know different breeds of cattle and rate of gains have a lot to do with feeding rations. I have no scales to keep weighing my Angus steer to try to determine what percentage of body weight for the amount of feed mix to feed him , so I've got a steer thats probably 600-700lb and my butchering appt. is 6months from now. I have it penned up in a small area and giving it free choice 1st cutting hay until butcher . its been fed sweet feed since birth basically but very little.
I plan on using bagged 12% sweet mix and whole corn from tractor supply. so my question would be how many lbs per day of each and at what time should I change to a different feed ration and at how many lbs per day.
do you feed one time a day or 2 times.
again I'm not an expert on this and just asking for simple answers as to how you all feed yours
thanks. Ron

ok peeps . lets make this simple , I know different breeds of cattle and rate of gains have a lot to do with feeding rations. I have no scales to keep weighing my Angus steer to try to determine what percentage of body weight for the amount of feed mix to feed him , so I've got a steer thats probably 600-700lb and my butchering appt. is 6months from now. I have it penned up in a small area and giving it free choice 1st cutting hay until butcher . its been fed sweet feed since birth basically but very little.
I plan on using bagged 12% sweet mix and whole corn from tractor supply. so my question would be how many lbs per day of each and at what time should I change to a different feed ration and at how many lbs per day.
again I'm not an expert on this and just asking for simple answers as to how you all feed yours
thanks. Ron
We start at 4 Pounds of grain a day, we use 16% Dairy feed. Then we slowly work them up about a half a pound a day until they're eating a Full 5 gallon bucket of feed once a day and we keep them at that amount for 60-90 days. That's approximately 25 pounds of grain a day once a day.

Where are you located and is Tractor Supply your best choice for quality feeds?
We start at 4 Pounds of grain a day, we use 16% Dairy feed. Then we slowly work them up about a half a pound a day until they're eating a Full 5 gallon bucket of feed once a day and we keep them at that amount for 60-90 days. That's approximately 25 pounds of grain a day once a day.

I've got a steer thats probably 600-700lb and my butchering appt. is 6months from now. I have it penned up in a small area and giving it free choice 1st cutting hay until butcher . its been fed sweet feed since birth basically but very little.

Start feeding him 5 lbs of grain twice a day for 2 weeks, to prevent digestive upset from slugging it all at once, then switch to 10 lbs once a day.

Don't know how much you want to spend on grain.
In 3 months I'd be feeding him 20+ lbs a day for at least the last 90 days before butchering. (to me the more corn the better) all he cleans up the last 60 days.
But there are people who like grass fed beef.

I only feed our show cattle twice a day 12 hours apart I think you get a little bit more ADG this way but everything else we feed once a day. We are feeding a 14% feed of about 1 bucket (25 pounds) I like to add cracked corn at about 8 pounds to that the last 60 days. Keep on good hay to help eliminate bloat and like everyone else said start feeding slow and work your way up.

Sorry Hereford. I meant that reply for the original poster.
I called local feed supply and priced bean meal crimped corn minerals and molasses and the price is the same per ton as the bagged 12% feed mix from tractor supply . they both the same driving distance, both 12% mix , so why bother buying a ton at a time ? , plus the bean meal would be powdery and I've read where that could create problems in of itself.

Start feeding him 5 lbs of grain twice a day for 2 weeks, to prevent digestive upset from slugging it all at once, then switch to 10 lbs once a day.

Don't know how much you want to spend on grain.
In 3 months I'd be feeding him 20+ lbs a day for at least the last 90 days before butchering. (to me the more corn the better) all he cleans up the last 60 days.
But there are people who like grass fed beef.
I've also been wanting to try the grass fed beef . maybe in the future , do you just let it run the whole pasture or pin it up in small area and feed it free choice first cutting and thats it ?

thanks. Ron
Twice a day would be better than once a day. 3 times would be even better. It just depends on the amount of time you have.

When you get to the higher rates of feed I think it is essential to feed at least twice a day to prevent problems with rumen pH fluctuations and resultant acidosis and laminitis problems. Either that or a limiting self feeder.

Ken
And add bicarbonate soda (baking soda) to the feed in a small amount helps.

2010 SARE study of beef production methods found grass fed beef producers had an average age and weight at slaughter 22 months 1,100 lbs vs 17 months and 1400 lbs feedlot average.

Limiting factors in grass fed beef production, inadequate quality forage supply and higher frequency of smaller framed, slower growing heritage beef breeds.

In an update to the study, 4 Mn grass fed beef producers, found by increasing forage quality and improved genetic selection they were able to produce 1,100 lb steers in 18 months with a top performing individual of 1,387 lbs in 14 months.

It doesn't have to take 2-3 yrs to produce grass fed beef.

Last edited:
Lot of good info. There is no ONE formula for everyone.
I prefer 2X a day - less chance of health issues. I never feed sweet feed.

With your 12% feed and WSC (and free-choice hay) - feed 4# sweet feed and 2# WSC split in 2 feedings for 1 week. Then, if he is cleaning all up - 5# w/ 2.5#. Keep increasing each week, as long as he is cleaning up. After 4 weeks, keep sweet feed constant and increase WSC.
I hate to get cattle used to sweet feed, because they never want anything else. But, if you increase slowly, you can get him to mostly WSC.
Your goal is to get him eating 15-20#/day (or more if he will eat it.) You did not say how old he is.
The above formula is based on calf only liking sweet feed. If he will eat half and half, I would def start him off on that. The more WSC, the faster he will finish. By the time he is around 800#, 9% protein should be all he needs - WSC is 9% protein.

Latest posts