MaineXBrangus

Help Support CattleToday:

No, but I would not attempt to do it...if you have Brangus cows why not just go with a Hereford or Charolais bull on them.

Maine cattle were only really used for club calves and even today that has fallen off.

If you have quality maine, be as good as any other continental cross.

Quality production maine anjou aren't easy to come by, but they exist. Crossed with english, they can make some exception feeder calves.

Since they are't real popular, seems to me that they haven't done as good of a job bringing birth weights down as some of the more popular americanized continentals.

I made a spur of the moment deal to buy a bull and heifer. The guy seemed to be in a jam and needed to sell a few. He reduced his price, and I lowballed him. He accepted. I knew it was stupid, not knowing much about it, but we've all been there.
I think I got both of them cheap enough to make it a no lose situation.
I've read plenty about angusxmaine cross (maintainers), but nothing with the brahma influence. I figured it would be a positive cross, but I'm small time and don't know a lot.

He is a son of I-80. LBW

Hereford was what I was aiming for but...

Modern maines can have some attitude problems. I wouldn't think crossing them with a Brahma influence would be a great idea, but I've been wrong before. FYI, the I-80 breeding makes nice, small, pretty show heifers. His influence will likely not add to staggering growth or great carcass traits. :2cents:

Worst case scenario, you can eat them both if they don't work out. Unless they die first, and with livestock, that's always an option.

We have a good four year old cow in our recip program who was due to get an embryo implanted in a couple of weeks. Well, two days ago she started to knuckle over real bad and act real goofy. So, instead of getting an embryo, she's gonna become steaks, roasts and ground starting this morning.

WalnutCrest":13pynvom said:
Worst case scenario, you can eat them both if they don't work out. Unless they die first, and with livestock, that's always an option.
Why is that you always suggest to eat the animal if they didn't work out every time?

I like beef.

Other people do too. These other people will pay more money for beef off the farm than you can get from the sale barn 99% of the time.

So, you've piqued my interest. What do you propose? Leaving them in the pasture until they die?

WalnutCrest":3b4b2w11 said:
I like beef.

Other people do too. These other people will pay more money for beef off the farm than you can get from the sale barn 99% of the time.

So, you've piqued my interest. What do you propose? Leaving them in the pasture until they die?
More like 40%. If it was true, there won't be any surplus animals to be sold or have people begging anyone to buying their extra beef.

And that would be idiotic/cruelly move to leave them die in the pasture, WalnutCrest. When I have a cow I don't like, they go to sale barn as I don't have to wait for someone to buy it.

We have a handful of Maine x Angus cows left over from our first attempt at making show steers. They hoof it with the rest of the herd herd on the Gulf Coast and never miss. I think they are 10 now. We obviously have been breeding them to our Brangus bulls for years and sometimes their calves are at the top of the group. We've kept quite a few heifers out of them and the only difference between them and our straight Brangus is that they're a little fancier.

I'd say go for it. Maines can be good cattle, and ours have certainly earned their place here. I don't know how many years the MA cows have left, but they've certainly been profitable thus far.

Ours are sired by a Cunia grandson. I'd guess they weigh about 1150 when they're fat.