Machinery costs or rates link

Help Support CattleToday:

This is good information. The prices quoted are a bit lower than the going rates here.
The Big round bale figures are real close.I move quite a bit of hay,When it rains an we make hay, The basic rate I charge is $4 a bale to load ,haul and yard a round bale going 4 miles.Every mile after 4 miles is 50 cents a mile.
On an average day I can load,haul and yard 100 rounds 4 miles in ten hours using a 4 bale trailer. Back before my kids left home for bigger and better things we used 3 four bale trailers pulled them behind 1/2 ton pickups. it was not unusual to move 300 in one day. If the haul is from the field to a hay yard on the farm less than a mile I still get $4 a bale.
Last November I moved 169 rolls from the field 3/4 of a mile to a hay yard in 9 hrs. My Bale Flipper loader is original prototype,it has the rope start and the trailers have manual dump. The newer ones feature Remote electric start and push button from the cab unloading.The Video featuring my grand son is using the originale Bale Flipper.
This is some thing I have worked out over the years. The original machine has moved over 20,000 bales and still going.

Man that's a lot of trips moving 4 bales at a time .. I hate moving hay and thought I had it bad moving 18 at a time on my float trailer. Im thinking about buying a 40 foot float so I can haul 24 at a time ....

the time saver with my system is you drive to a bale ,it loads as you drive to the next one. With a Float you have to have a loader to load it. In that case you go get a bale and bring it to the trailer. When you get to the hay yard with my system you dump the bales in a row and go.With a float you have to unload and yard with a tractor or front loader of some kind.
I use a 4 bale trailer because I was using a half ton pickup. I make 4,5,6 and ten bale trailers.
I did cost comparisons and time consumed before showing the Bale Flipper to the public. My favorite size trailer is the 6 bale inline. I can pull it with a 3/4 ton and still get in most hay yards. The 4 bale works well in small hay yards. The 10 bale trailer is a two row trailer it takes more room to turn into gates as it is 12 foot wide loaded,closed empty its 8 foot wide.
I had big trailers and front loaders ,sold them. I can make more hauling by myself than I could with 2 men helping.
The DPS frowns on pulling the 5 bale trailer with a four bale behind it and the loader hooked behind the 4 bale trailer,they even give out written greetings to visit local JP.

I still think I am saving money and time by using my self unloading trailers on putting hay up
all your system is saving in MY operation is a tractor in the field loading and I can actually load 8 bales in the time you are loading 4 as we gather ours in load lots as we are loading

I timed some last yr we were hauling 3/4 of a mile and averaging just under a bale per minute
56 bales pr hr with 1 tractor loading and 1 trailer hauling

this yr on 1 field we were 2.5 hrs on 80 bales with 1 tractor loading and 1 trailer hauling 4 miles

Angus Cowman":3fs2r92l said:
I still think I am saving money and time by using my self unloading trailers on putting hay up
all your system is saving in MY operation is a tractor in the field loading and I can actually load 8 bales in the time you are loading 4 as we gather ours in load lots as we are loading

I timed some last yr we were hauling 3/4 of a mile and averaging just under a bale per minute
56 bales pr hr with 1 tractor loading and 1 trailer hauling

this yr on 1 field we were 2.5 hrs on 80 bales with 1 tractor loading and 1 trailer hauling 4 miles

What trailer you got?

Sorry for this becoming a trailer discussion but thought the link was interesting on what it costs to different things.

tom4018":xkqruxog said:
What trailer you got?

Sorry for this becoming a trailer discussion but thought the link was interesting on what it costs to different things.
Tom
I would have to look to be sure
I think it is one that is made by TB welding in Lockwood Missouri
I bought it for the wife a few yrs ago for Mothers Day
yep it is the EZ haul Hay trailer here is their website
I cheated and put hydraulic dump on mine so the driver never has to leave the truck or tractor

http://haytrailer.com/

There are many self unloading trailers on the market. This shows that people are looking for a better way to handle hay.
I looked at all I could find and did an extensive study. I found some wont dump over the wheel,some only dump the whole load at once. I decided to build mine where you can push a button it the truck cab and dump the whole load or go to any cradle on trailer and dump a single bale.I also figured out a way to put a cube hopper on the front cradle to allow feeding cubes while putting out hay.
The time required to bunch bales with a tractor cost money also. With my Bale flipper you go to one bale bump it ,it clears the ground you drive to the next.The newest loaders load a bale in 45 secs.This includes travel time to next bale.
Any tractor large enough to load round bales will consume more fuel than my Bale Flipper.I run it 10 hours on 2 gallons of gas. I timed my trips to a bale and back to trailer with a tractor many times . The average is 2 minutes.

baleflipper":2colhw7j said:
There are many self unloading trailers on the market. This shows that people are looking for a better way to handle hay.
I looked at all I could find and did an extensive study. I found some wont dump over the wheel,some only dump the whole load at once. I decided to build mine where you can push a button it the truck cab and dump the whole load or go to any cradle on trailer and dump a single bale.I also figured out a way to put a cube hopper on the front cradle to allow feeding cubes while putting out hay.
The time required to bunch bales with a tractor cost money also. With my Bale flipper you go to one bale bump it ,it clears the ground you drive to the next.The newest loaders load a bale in 45 secs.This includes travel time to next bale.
Any tractor large enough to load round bales will consume more fuel than my Bale Flipper.I run it 10 hours on 2 gallons of gas. I timed my trips to a bale and back to trailer with a tractor many times . The average is 2 minutes.
I wasn't down playing your product in the least
I think they are a good deal but with the amount of hay I move I can do it faster with a tractor and a self unloading trailer and in my business faster is cheaper as I already own the tractors and the cost of using them or adding a new machine won't weigh out for several yrs
as for feeding I feed all my hay with trucks with bale beds and we unroll all of our hay so being able to use your device wouldn't work in our case to feed
I can load an 8 bale trailer in 5 minutes or less and I already have the tractors in the field so I couldn't see the need added expense for a self loading hay trailer
in an operation where you hire your hay baled and you have to move all of your hay then I think it would work great or if you had hay in places that a tractor wasn't available
also you quoted 10 hrs to move 100 bales 4 miles so that is 10 bales per hr

I did 80 in 2.5hrs with a tractor and operator and 1 trailer and driver which would work out to 3 hrs and 15 minutes for 100 bales so in 10 hrs I would of moved 317 bales
even at $2 pr bale moving charge I can more than pay the extra fuel and labor that it cost to run the extra tractor

I think you have a good piece of equipment but I don't think it works in all operation
We have moved hay with about everything imaginable from gooseneck trailer to semis and for us the fastest has been the self unloading trailer
I wish I had a 40ft trailer but it doesn't work to well in our hills and narrow road so I stick with the 32fters

Bushhog $14.50-$18.50 per acre. That is only one pass too I bet. For $18/ac I can have a boom truck spray. Plus I am killing it... not just spreading it.

Hauling cattle $5 per mile. You can hire guys for $2.5 per loaded mile.

Is it really cheaper to do it yourself? I wonder if they factored risk into that also? :)

I welcome open discussion,Thats how I learn.The 100 bales in 10 hrs is usualy on gravel roads with me having to get out and open gates etc. With a six bale machine on good roads It is quite a bit more hay moved.Time to move tractors is also a factor. Tires on tractors ,oil changes and fuel consumption and wear and tear were all taken into my consideration.One rear tractor tire will buy all the tires on one of my loaders twice. You are not the first to say tractors are faster. In several field trials I have shown several folks tractors are realy slower.Last November I moved 169 bales 3/4 of a mile to a hay yard in 9 hrs using a four bale manual trailer. The thing is I dont want to make a claim I cant back. I yard the hay when I unload it.
I would rather leave my tractors on the baler making more bales or cutting hay than sitting there while I make a load.

Brute 23":1u5jbc8x said:
Bushhog $14.50-$18.50 per acre. That is only one pass too I bet. For $18/ac I can have a boom truck spray. Plus I am killing it... not just spreading it.

Hauling cattle $5 per mile. You can hire guys for $2.5 per loaded mile.

Is it really cheaper to do it yourself? I wonder if they factored risk into that also? :)
the BH price is in the ballpark for pasture clipping and light brush
fo heavy brush I get $67.50 pr hr and need to be at $70

for semis
we are getting and paying $3.50 to $4.00 pr mile
for goosenecks we usually pay by the load 32ft we get $100pr load 24ft we get 75 pr load that is too our local barn which is usually less than 20 miles
anything over the 20 and it is $3.00 pr mile over
at $2.50pr mile they sure ain't making any money

baleflipper":z7kud5bm said:
I welcome open discussion,Thats how I learn.The 100 bales in 10 hrs is usualy on gravel roads with me having to get out and open gates etc. With a six bale machine on good roads It is quite a bit more hay moved.Time to move tractors is also a factor. Tires on tractors ,oil changes and fuel consumption and wear and tear were all taken into my consideration.One rear tractor tire will buy all the tires on one of my loaders twice. You are not the first to say tractors are faster. In several field trials I have shown several folks tractors are realy slower.Last November I moved 169 bales 3/4 of a mile to a hay yard in 9 hrs using a four bale manual trailer. The thing is I dont want to make a claim I cant back. I yard the hay when I unload it.
I would rather leave my tractors on the baler making more bales or cutting hay than sitting there while I make a load.
I guess if I was having to take tractors off of baling and mowing I might look at things a little differently but the way it is I always have atleast one tractor dedicated to moving hay as I always have an extra 1 around
we put all of our hay in barns so we still have to have tractors when we unload

i put my hay directly in the barn off the trailer.. I use 2 tractors to bale one to rake and one on the baler ... when the guy finishes raking he starts putting bales in 2 rows of 9 about 20 foot apart .. when I'm done rolling hay I start loading the float . Takes me about 45 min to go 10 miles down the road but that is putting it in the barn also ....not that your system wouldn't work but I'm cheap and like to work with what I have on hand .

You aint too cheap,You got hired help! Putting the bales into groups is handling hay one time,loading and hauling makes two times handling a bale. I dont have any help except my Grandson. So I like to sit in my truck and load my hay. I dont have to haul a tractor to the field to load,I just pull the loader behind my hay trailer.Takes less than 5 minutes to unhook it and extend it to load position.Then each load takes less than a minute a bale. My loaders are designed so you use a clicker to remotely start the engine and feature drive into hook up. No backing or having to latch it.
MOst of my customers have a big hay yard,actualy a corner with a fence making it cow proof. I back in hit the button an drive out. Only problem I have is getting my dog to open the gates! Grandson works better than the dog for this,less whining.

Id like to hay a self unloading trailer for haying .... I have a couple pastures leased .. it would make it a lot easier if I could drive in the pasture dump a bale sling the hay ring over it and move 50 yards and do it again .. It is nice to have help I can't get my dog to stay in the truck long enough to get to the gate lol

Baleflipper
Don't get me wrong I think you have a really neat set up and it looks like it works really well
and it seems like it would be handy
a neighbor has one of the Vermeer self loading hay wagons and it works real well a for field use I don't think it is designed for higher hiway speeds like yours are

It would also be nice if i had the climate to store hay outside would cut expenses down alot by not having to use barns
Whne I was in Nebraska we stacked ll our hay outside heck alot of guys still used loose hay in stacks

I been to Nebraska several times. I like it a lot. Plenty room to move around and lots of cattle. I would move there in a heart beat except it gets so cold. The first trip I was up there it took me a while to figure out folks werent using pinking shears to ear mark cattle,It was a sign of frost bite!. Talk about cold first night I was there in Feb it dropped to -40. My truck would not even click the next morning! Had a friend lived there ,he brought a heater and a big tarp covered my truck and warmed it up. I didnt realize how cold it was til he pointed out my ears were getting white on the edges. oh well.
Had a lot of fun showing my loader at Husker Harvest. Enjoyed visiting the Feedlots. Got to tour an ethanol plant.

Latest posts