Lying btards

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas decided in the 70's to eradicate bangs. It didn't have anything to do with the salebarn. State would call you and tell you to pen your cattle for testing. If one cow banged the whole herd was quarantined for ninety days no matter how large or small.
I was running my cows with a very large rancher for labor.
Mr Wiggins had about 400 head. After a year and couldn't get a clean test and you had to have two.
The trucks came in and everything went through Port City Stockyards for slaughter.
Texas wasn't the only one.

Texas wasn't the only one.

I wonder what happened to the bison herd in Yellowstone... I know it was infected and a concern for spreading bangs in domestic cattle. They must have been inoculated somehow. And infected animals culled. I never heard anything about how they were treated or if there are ongoing efforts.

I wonder what happened to the bison herd in Yellowstone... I know it was infected and a concern for spreading bangs in domestic cattle. They must have been inoculated somehow. And infected animals culled. I never heard anything about how they were treated or if there are ongoing efforts.
They are still infected. That part of the state is a designated surveillance area covering most of the western end of the state.

They are still infected. That part of the state is a designated surveillance area covering most of the western end of the state.
Well d**n... that's too bad. With all the politicians inclined to spend money on anything and everything you'd think they might figure out a way to free up some management to get rid of that infection source.

Well d**n... that's too bad. With all the politicians inclined to spend money on anything and everything you'd think they might figure out a way to free up some management to get rid of that infection source.
The problem is that its a National Park. They say that its just nature and they can't mess with natural things.

The problem is that its a National Park. They say that its just nature and they can't mess with natural things.
They were trapping and testing bison leaving the park into Montana. Infected bison go to slaughter. Clean ones were going to various Indian tribes if I recall correctly. Not sure if that effort is still ongoing. Haven't heard of any big protests by the Buffalo Field Campaign wacko group. Bison leave the park when it gets snowed up, so probably more activity in February and March.

They were trapping and testing bison leaving the park into Montana. Infected bison go to slaughter. Clean ones were going to various Indian tribes if I recall correctly. Not sure if that effort is still ongoing. Haven't heard of any big protests by the Buffalo Field Campaign wacko group. Bison leave the park when it gets snowed up, so probably more activity in February and March.
Correct. But the point is they have to leave the park. Its all a joke. And millions spent to monitor their movements.

The natives are supposed to release a bunch of bison out on the Res, and there are a few ranchers that are not to happy about it, as they are going to lose their grazing leases.

I buy cows from herd dispersals at the sale barn, not saying you can't get a bad one but you're not buying culls that way.
yea your better off doing that but ive seen so called "herd dispersals" be 20 cows from a man with 300 head and he picked out 20 culls to disperse

"Sale barn is buyer beware."
That bears repeating.
Other than when we dispersed our entire herd, if a cow or heifer went to the salebarn, there was a REASON she wasn't staying. I guess not everyone has that perspective, but I never considered the salebarn as a place to purchase replacement cows/heifers. I figure, if they're there, there's something wrong with them, or they didn't make the breeder's cut... why do I wanna buy someone's culls?

Depending upon the strain of Mannheimia or Pasteurella present, disease & or death can come PDQ. Was involved with some vaccine trials back in the 1980s... a bolus of M.haemolytica was delivered into the lower airways by way of a catheter threaded down the trachea. Some of those calves inoculated with a 'hot' strain were dead within 18 hours.
I'll put my culls up against anyone's.

It is obvious if they are backers and haven't been weaned. After that harder too tell how many days weaned they are after a few weeks. I write down the day and tag number every calf is weaned. Have had some think mine were weaned less than I stated. As too shots fully vaccinated is different with breeders and vets. Unless a special sale has a vaccination protocol it is hard to know what shots they have had. I used too list every shot they had but very seldom did they read the list. Most here say they have had their vaccinations. We have had different vets suggest different protocols. And now with Covexin 8 not available we used a different vaccine on the last group.
This fall during the drought before it started raining there was cows in the pasture get sick. Know of some dieing. We lost one calf on a cow. Went to checking them every other day. They would get sick and be gone in less than 24 hours. When I started weaning had one eating and ok in the morning. Could hear him breathing after dinner. It would hit fast. I usually doctor them at first sign even if they are eating. We didn't lose any we weaned. Weaned a few that were showing early signs. Just weaned and treated them. Gave a prevention shot to some. I'm not taking up for those that misrepresent. And sometimes it is hard too know for sure what the cause was. If asked I always tell anyone exactly what vaccines and when they received.

We precondition in August, but September and October are dangerous months for spring born calves. We check them every day starting September 1.

Latest posts