Lying btards

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Bred cows are now listed with vet history. All vaccines given!
Apparently sellers may stretch the truth. Cow bought on Tuesday was sick when she got off the trailer last night and dead this morning. Looks like yard insurance is going to cover the cost.
Needed wolf bait, just not that expensive

Polled Herefords just die to get here.IMG_1136.jpeg

Bred cows are now listed with vet history. All vaccines given!
Apparently sellers may stretch the truth. Cow bought on Tuesday was sick when she got off the trailer last night and dead this morning. Looks like yard insurance is going to cover the cost.
Needed wolf bait, just not that expensive

Polled Herefords just die to get here.View attachment 38221
Sounds like she was sick way before you got her

Sorry that happened, glad that insurance is gonna cover it though. we lost registered Hereford heifer purchased at a registered sale. She was sick when we got her too,
Another time we bought some heifers a graded calf sale. Supposed to be weaned at least 45 days, 2 rounds of vaccinations. It's the kind of sale where they put cattle from different consignors together according to weight and description. We had several that got sick and atleast one wasn't weaned until the sale.
Stinks that some people are dishonest and try pull that crap,

Sorry that happened, glad that insurance is gonna cover it though. we lost registered Hereford heifer purchased at a registered sale. She was sick when we got her too,
Another time we bought some heifers a graded calf sale. Supposed to be weaned at least 45 days, 2 rounds of vaccinations. It's the kind of sale where they put cattle from different consignors together according to weight and description. We had several that got sick and atleast one wasn't weaned until the sale.
Stinks that some people are dishonest and try pull that crap,
A few years ago we and a neighbor bought a total of 53 supposedly fully vaccinated heifers at a bred sale. They got sick immediately, 2 died, several aborted, treated lots. They were the reason bred cattle sellers are required to fill out an affidavit now.

A few years ago we and a neighbor bought a total of 53 supposedly fully vaccinated heifers at a bred sale. They got sick immediately, 2 died, several aborted, treated lots. They were the reason bred cattle sellers are required to fill out an affidavit now.
There were I think 28 heifers that we bought in that graded sale several years ago. From what I understand other people got a hold of sone of those unweaned and sick calves like I did and the individual that sold them was not allowed to sell in that particular sale anymore.
I treated several of the calves.

I agree that "buyer beware" is part of buying at the sale barn.... BUT.... when animals are advertised as vacc and weaned and all that, and they aren't... the person(s) selling those animals, need to have some sort of consequences.
We bought a group of calves at a graded sale; supposed to be weaned and vacc and there were several that were not weaned, definite bawlers, and several got sick and we lost 3 out of 36... pretty big hit. Especially with the costs of things now and the value that the calves would be worth after grazing them for the summer to be sold in the group down the road.
For @gcreekrch to lose that cow that fast she obviously was not protected by vacc to the viruses she was exposed to. Sad, but a part of it. Glad she is going to be covered by ins.

"Sale barn is buyer beware."
That bears repeating.
Other than when we dispersed our entire herd, if a cow or heifer went to the salebarn, there was a REASON she wasn't staying. I guess not everyone has that perspective, but I never considered the salebarn as a place to purchase replacement cows/heifers. I figure, if they're there, there's something wrong with them, or they didn't make the breeder's cut... why do I wanna buy someone's culls?

Depending upon the strain of Mannheimia or Pasteurella present, disease & or death can come PDQ. Was involved with some vaccine trials back in the 1980s... a bolus of M.haemolytica was delivered into the lower airways by way of a catheter threaded down the trachea. Some of those calves inoculated with a 'hot' strain were dead within 18 hours.

That bears repeating.
Other than when we dispersed our entire herd, if a cow or heifer went to the salebarn, there was a REASON she wasn't staying. I guess not everyone has that perspective, but I never considered the salebarn as a place to purchase replacement cows/heifers. I figure, if they're there, there's something wrong with them, or they didn't make the breeder's cut... why do I wanna buy someone's culls?

Depending upon the strain of Mannheimia or Pasteurella present, disease & or death can come PDQ. Was involved with some vaccine trials back in the 1980s... a bolus of M.haemolytica was delivered into the lower airways by way of a catheter threaded down the trachea. Some of those calves inoculated with a 'hot' strain were dead within 18 hours.
I buy cows from herd dispersals at the sale barn, not saying you can't get a bad one but you're not buying culls that way.

That bears repeating.

From 1968 til 1993, my grandaddy bought every cow and bull he ever owned at the sale barns. Except I had a great uncle( his bro in law) that had registered Herefords. he had a sale at his farm every year, and my grandaddy would go and buy two heifers a year from him. Other than that, they were all sale barn cattle. Back then, they had to test every cow for Bangs, and the vet and 2 assistants were there from Friday morning before the sale, til early Sunday morning. When we bought some, we'd pay for them after we were done buying, then take the paperwork to that vet. He would have his helpers get them, and he would work them, give them whatever shots they needed, worm them, and give them a shot of penicillin, then put them back in a pen. They would be ready to load when we got ready to go. We'd put them in a separate pasture for about a week, then let them in with the rest. The sales were the only place, really, to buy or sell your cattle. Bulls, cows, heifers....whatever.... for breeding were sold by the head, and the owners would stand up and speak for them when they got in the ring. Or the auctioneer would announce whose they were and where they came from, and why the owner was selling. They would tell if and when they had been wormed, vaccinated etc, but my grandaddy, and most other people had the vet work them anyhow, just in case. I don't recall him ever having a sick cow.

From 1968 til 1993, my grandaddy bought every cow and bull he ever owned at the sale barns. Except I had a great uncle( his bro in law) that had registered Herefords. he had a sale at his farm every year, and my grandaddy would go and buy two heifers a year from him. Other than that, they were all sale barn cattle. Back then, they had to test every cow for Bangs, and the vet and 2 assistants were there from Friday morning before the sale, til early Sunday morning. When we bought some, we'd pay for them after we were done buying, then take the paperwork to that vet. He would have his helpers get them, and he would work them, give them whatever shots they needed, worm them, and give them a shot of penicillin, then put them back in a pen. They would be ready to load when we got ready to go. We'd put them in a separate pasture for about a week, then let them in with the rest. The sales were the only place, really, to buy or sell your cattle. Bulls, cows, heifers....whatever.... for breeding were sold by the head, and the owners would stand up and speak for them when they got in the ring. Or the auctioneer would announce whose they were and where they came from, and why the owner was selling. They would tell if and when they had been wormed, vaccinated etc, but my grandaddy, and most other people had the vet work them anyhow, just in case. I don't recall him ever having a sick cow.
My first herd banged out!
Government man branded a B on their jaws.
Got .05 to .10 cents a pound for them at the barn.
Cows I paid 300 dollars for in the 70's got 25 to 30 bucks for them.

Yep. My grandpa wouldn't buy anything on a day we went and they had Bang'ed out cattle in the back lot. Whenever we were there buying, he would tell them to give him a pen with no water trough in it. He was scared they would catch something from other cattle that may have been in that pen that week. I am the same way about my horses. At a show, a roping, even at someone else's place for practice, etc., I never let my horses drink from a communal trough. I carry my own water buckets and fill them from a spigot.

When I was helping the vets in the sale barns in Arkansas, we saw very few bangers. Arkansas was taking it very seriously. I remember one cow going through a sale barn, but I don't remember her going for any less than kill cow prices. After all... they are fine for slaughter if they are going to canneries.

I knew there were a couple of herds that were quarantined for, I think, a year. The owner couldn't buy or sell any animals until they were brucellosis free for a year, tested often.

Sounds like the early 2000's up here with BSE.. 5 cents a pound
Texas decided in the 70's to eradicate bangs. It didn't have anything to do with the salebarn. State would call you and tell you to pen your cattle for testing. If one cow banged the whole herd was quarantined for ninety days no matter how large or small.
I was running my cows with a very large rancher for labor.
Mr Wiggins had about 400 head. After a year and couldn't get a clean test and you had to have two.
The trucks came in and everything went through Port City Stockyards for slaughter.

Latest posts