Lupine?

Help Support CattleToday:

TxStateCowboy

Reaction score
I have a momma cow, longhorn/angus cross (don't laugh she's solid black and shows a sign of beef! lol)

Her baby, 3/4 angus, born about a month ago, stumbles and seems to have a crooked spine, his rear end flops side to side, real sad lookin'... - is this a case of the cow eating lupine during pregnancy? i heard it causes such problems.

either way, he may be my candidate for butchering. Despite his spinal problem he can run (it is quite sad but amusing) and definately gains weight, almost outgrowing the young'ns of the same age. With what should I feed him? What weight is best for butchering? any helpful comments on his condition and/or butchering for personal meat would be great. thanks- Will

I had one that broke his back when a bulling open cow rode him (I think) he runs and walks with his back wheels in the ditch.

well this guy uses his rear legs but he nearly runs in circles or zigzags when i call the herd in. I guess i should be thankful he's alive. the day he was born it looked bad, didn't think he'd make it. Hope he tastes good.

Did the cow sit on him half way out? It sure sounds like a broke back . Mine has the same symptoms as yours.

Just guessing here but doesnt Lupine cause deformity in bones?

Picture a normal straight backbone and then break it...should be pretty noticable but could still tell the back was normal at one time.

With Lupines the Back bone should be deformed looking....oddly shaped and not necessarily broken.

Have you tried to put any pressure on the calf to see if it is in any pain? or to see if its really broken or just oddly shaped.

Like I said I'm just guessing here...not really qualified to give this kind of advice. Trying to learn.

I had one like that - but he was worse. So bad he couldn't hardly stand. I may have a picture around if you're interested. He was like that at birth and I thought he'd improve, but he didn't.

I ended up shooting him.

TxStateCowboy- Please tell me what the calf looks like as you stand directly behind him and look down on his spine.

There may be several causes for this kind of spinal mal-function, and they can be divided into traumatic (accidental), genetic , nutritional deficiencies (dam AND calf), and, also, unknown causes. What has your Vet had to say regarding this condition?

An impulsive diagnosis of "broke back" is not conducive to making a correct judgement regarding the calf's ultimate prognosis. If, in fact, he had a broken back with spinal cord severance or gross damage, he probably would loose the ability to walk, stand, and control his kidney and bowel functions. On the other hand, he could be diagnosed as having a subluxated vertebral segment causing pressure on a spinal nerve or nerves, and a Veterinarian who has had Chiropractic or Accupuncture experience with animals might be able to help him. Depends on the severity of the problem and how valuable the calf is to you.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":3iwkgkqw said:
TxStateCowboy- Please tell me what the calf looks like as you stand directly behind him and look down on his spine.

There may be several causes for this kind of spinal mal-function, and they can be divided into traumatic (accidental), genetic , nutritional deficiencies (dam AND calf), and, also, unknown causes. What has your Vet had to say regarding this condition?

An impulsive diagnosis of "broke back" is not conducive to making a correct judgement regarding the calf's ultimate prognosis. If, in fact, he had a broken back with spinal cord severance or gross damage, he probably would loose the ability to walk, stand, and control his kidney and bowel functions. On the other hand, he could be diagnosed as having a subluxated vertebral segment causing pressure on a spinal nerve or nerves, and a Veterinarian who has had Chiropractic or Accupuncture experience with animals might be able to help him. Depends on the severity of the problem and how valuable the calf is to you.

DOC HARRIS

What is the success rate on that? IMO the new born would not be worth it. My reason is i had a calve with buckled knees. i took the cow and calve into a lot and splinted the calves legs. After a few weeks he walked again. the time and efford to e was admirable but not practicle or profitable. You sound like you are much worse off. I ould not mess with the calve. If it seams to be suffering do the right thing.

Scotty

Latest posts