Lumpy Jaw

Help Support CattleToday:

Triple C

Reaction score
I have a breeder cow who has been loosing weight slowly for over a year and periodically has a coughing spell. I have administered antibiotics (several kind) over this period to no avail. The cow seems to be eating cubes and hay without any problems.

This week I noticed a large growth in the loose skin under her jaw and from your web site think it may be lumpy jaw. Two questions, this cow is well over 10 years old and I was hoping to get one more calf from her. Is there an effective treatment for this ailment and if it is lumpy jaw do I have to worry about the rest of my herd?

Thank you for your help.

Dan

Did you take a peek at the pictures on the cow problems post? Lumpy jaw is an infection within the bone, causing abnormal growth. The pic on the thread is of a particularly severe case. It is treatable in the early stages with heavy doses of antibiotics and sodium iodide. Other things like bottle jaw are simply an accumulation of fluid under the jaw and a sign of other diseases or a heavy parasite load.

I worm twice a year; one pour on and one injection. It is still possible that she has worms! Thanks for your reply.

What kind of injection for worms and does it cover liver flukes?

liver flukes are a prime cause for bottle jaw that some injectables won't properly treat.

i'd worm her with some valbazen (or ivomec PLUS) first and see if that helps.

then you have an absess that needs attention before it turns into lumpy jaw.

Talk to the vet.

We just went through this with a cow. Per vet recommendations.

put her in the chute
used atrevet to calm her
used a flushing syringe with a weak tea mixture of iodine and water, flushed around the teeth and jaw, under tongue.
Scrub lump with idoine solution use 14 gauge 1 1/2 to 2 " long needle puncture lump once and try and get puss out. if none comes, call the vet again
if puss, lance and drain, scrub again with iodine

LA 200 every 4 days plus and anti inflam with anagelse (sp) like the generic of anafin...flunazine...daily.

BEFORE you do this call your vet.

We had to check her jaw daily, daily use the flushing and anti inflamatory.

To do this we had to use the headgate, halter and the nose plyers.

EDIT look in jaw for something poking around like a stick, hay, tooth problem

The swelling under the jaw sounds more like a sign of anemia, especially if the cow is loosing weight. I would suspect Johnes, but she's really older than usual for that.

All of ther above, but make sure you make the cut vertically, allowing the puss to drain out and not puddle or remain pooled inside the wound....a huge slice is not really needed, but it initialy should be flushed out of all the infection you can get, and leave it open at least on the bottom to drain...don't forget to remain as clean as possible so you don't defeat the reason you are treating her, and dispose of the drainage away from the pastures and herd.

A cheap and effective cleaner as always would be peroxide....... :cboy:

the key to all of this is ...........make sure of the following before you cut............loose movement of lump, and puss can be drawn out via large bore needle. and as always..good luck! :cboy:

A problem frequently overlooked is an abcessed tooth. In some cases, especially old cows with tooth problems (granted they still have teeth), abcessed teeth can cause the jaw to swell and weight loss due to infection and pain caused by eating may occur. If her weight loss began at the same time as the lump appeared, and she is on a good worming schedule, it could very possibly be an abcessed tooth.