lumps on neck

Help Support CattleToday:

tnrichie

Reaction score
yesterday i vaccinated 6 calves anywere between 3 weeks and 6 weeks of age...i vaccinated with virashiel 6 subcut on the nack.and for blackleg im.....all as the vet told me too...today they have some huge lumps on the side of there necks.is this normal or should i be concerned or how can i help them.....should my vaccines be in a diffrent location please someone help as i am trying hard to take good care of my calves and keep them healthy..also trying to learn as i go....

Injection site reactions are normal. Happen all the time. It will go down with time. No need for concern.
The triangle is where you ought to be giving the shots. Dark spot for IM injections. Lighter spot for SQ injections.

g1351-2.gif

Some products cause this more than others. I used some one shot blk leg antigen and it was really bad.

Scotty

I use the same thing, Virashield 6 + VL5. We also use Electroid 7 (Blackleg), and we have seen quite a few animals develop knots from both vaccines. They will go down over time. I wouldn't worry.

tnrichie,
Make sure you remove all air in the needle/syringe before injections....a micro of air will cause a knot. It will take a long time to go away. Otherwise a knot from the medicine should go away in a little while.

preston39":1vu1jh4c said:
Make sure you remove all air in the needle/syringe before injections....a micro of air will cause a knot. It will take a long time to go away. Otherwise a knot from the medicine should go away in a little while.
Preston, I doubt if you've got room to hang any more on your office walls, but I'm going to recognize you with another BS Award for this one. It is virtually impossible to remove every "micro" of air from a needle/syringe. That would involve no bubbles in your syringe, right? I use automatic syringes with draw-offs, so I'm sure that my cattle get plenty of air. If I actually took the time to remove every "micro" of air, my losses from having cattle stressed/down/tromped in the chute would quickly outweigh any benefits. If there are any benefits. Maybe you could share some research with us?

And your statement that air will cause a knot that "will take a long time to go away" and "medicine should go away in a little while" is merely assinine speculation. All animals are individuals, with different responses.

MAN or should I say WOMAN. I am going to give you an award TEXAN. On your wall go another atagirl.

Scotty

texan,
Don't beleve you know what you are saying. Hold the syringe up and thump it...the air will go to the top towards the needle and then shove it out. Never had a problem. You don't do that before an injection?Hummmm!

preston39":3fellhbw said:
texan,
Don't beleve you know what you are saying. Hold the syringe up and thump it...the air will go to the top towards the needle and then shove it out. Never had a problem. You don't do that before an injection?Hummmm!
You sure got me there, preston. I don't thump my syringe before I use it. You actually do that on every calf with every vaccination? I just give mine a shot, maybe a few bubbles, and get 'em on out. Time is stress, stress is money. I thought you were a big operator? You must spend a lot of time thumping syringes and looking for bubbles. It'd sure be neat to see what goes on around your chute at working time. Maybe you could post us a pic? LOL

tnrichie;
As you've probably figured by now, the knots are nothing to worry about. Should go down in time. Some take longer than others.

SF":38n997p7 said:
tnrichie;
As you've probably figured by now, the knots are nothing to worry about. Should go down in time. Some take longer than others.
Well said, SF. Thanks for getting it back on track. :lol:

just wanted to say thanks to everyone for there replys and wanted to say you all really know your calves

I am having a tough time understanding why these animals are being vaccinated so young.

Bez'

Bez'":1nlgodk0 said:
I am having a tough time understanding why these animals are being vaccinated so young.

Bez'

Along with that Bez this guy sure seems to have a lot of health issues. Makes one wonder about management of the herd in general.

Texan":3p7e6kav said:
preston39":3p7e6kav said:
texan,
You sure got me there, preston. I don't thump my syringe before I use it. You actually do that on every calf with every vaccination? I just give mine a shot, maybe a few bubbles, and get 'em on out. Time is stress, stress is money. I thought you were a big operator? You must spend a lot of time thumping syringes and looking for bubbles. It'd sure be neat to see what goes on around your chute at working time. Maybe you could post us a pic? LOL
=====
What has operation size got to do with treating animals correctly? I can see by your comments you don't normally think...why this time? Who ask you to think? If you don't like the idea..skip it. why the comments? I don't care how big or small an operation is animals should be treated right. Putting air into their system is not right. Learn how to do it because you apparently don't know how.

it really doesnt take long to thump the air bubble to the top...
and your calves will work better if they are not crowded anyway.

Beefy":15sxxl1o said:
and your calves will work better if they are not crowded anyway.

i dont get what you mean. if all your doing is shots and notching its faster and easier to crowd them ina chute than to catch them one at a time

i dont mean one at a time. i mean like 4 or so as opposed to 10 crammed in to keep them from turning around or in an attempt to be efficient. they just get all excited and trample each other. hired hands just cant grasp that it seems. thats why i move the cattle and let dad give the shots. we have two sliding gates to hold two or three at at time so i usually run four or five at a time and someone else catches two or three of them between these sliding gates. then the other two just hang out behind them. i'd rather walk back to get more calves a couple of times than waste an hour trying to get a calf down in the lane to stand back up. its just easier on everyone this way.

preston39":3n1ryo7s said:
What has operation size got to do with treating animals correctly?
It has to do with time, preston. Time that it takes to complete your processing. The more you've got to do, the longer it takes. I'm sure that even you can figure that one out, right? Processing time is an important factor in how calves respond to vaccines because of stress, preston. Not to mention the respiratory irritants like dust that increase with that time. You take all the time you want to with yours, preston. But for me, I prefer to get my last calf out of the chute and turned out in a clean grass trap as close as I can to when the first one leaves the chute. But, if you like having your calves standing around breathing all the dust and being under stress longer, you can ass around and thump syringes all you want to.

It's my position that except for volumes of trapped air large enough to affect dosages or push vaccine back out the injection site, it does not matter if you inject a few air bubbles with a vaccine. Do you possess credible research to the contrary? I've already asked you once to produce it and you haven't. I'll keep waiting. Anyway, if you have volumes of trapped air large enough to affect dosages, you need to work on drawing technique and purge that air before you start.

I can see by your comments you don't normally think...why this time? Who ask you to think? If you don't like the idea..skip it. why the comments?
I made the comments because you gave out wrong information, preston. A "micro" of air, as you stated initially, never has caused injection site knots for me and many others. If you have research to prove differently, I'd like to see it. In fact, I need to see it.

I don't care how big or small an operation is animals should be treated right. Putting air into their system is not right.
We can certainly agree that animals should always be treated right, preston. But putting a few air bubbles in with a vaccine isn't wrong, as you suggest. If you want to be that meticulous about your technique, that's fine. I don't care what you do. But I contend that it's unnecessary to do that and that it doesn't hurt anything to get a few air bubbles under the skin. How do you suggest we keep air out from under the skin when using implants, preston?

Learn how to do it because you apparently don't know how.
Teach me something, preston. Show me the research to help me learn, please. Teach me to be a syringe-thumping cattleman just like you. While pens full of calves watch me through the dust, wondering how much longer this is gonna take. LOL Get real, preston. Those few seconds might not matter to the first calf, or even the tenth calf. But when you do enough of them, you have wasted a Helluva lot of time. Work 'em and get 'em turned out. You'll be rewarded with healthier calves, in my opinion.

Beefy":3g7dmneu said:
i dont mean one at a time. i mean like 4 or so as opposed to 10 crammed in to keep them from turning around or in an attempt to be efficient. they just get all excited and trample each other. hired hands just cant grasp that it seems. thats why i move the cattle and let dad give the shots. we have two sliding gates to hold two or three at at time so i usually run four or five at a time and someone else catches two or three of them between these sliding gates. then the other two just hang out behind them. i'd rather walk back to get more calves a couple of times than waste an hour trying to get a calf down in the lane to stand back up. its just easier on everyone this way.
The sliding gates, hired hands, and dad to give the shots all sounds nice, Beefy. You are fortunate. Some of us work under different conditions. I have to sleep with my hired hand, so if I can save her some steps, I do it. ;-) But even more important to me is getting the calves out as quickly as possible. In our setup, filling the chute up with 12 or 14 calves and vaccinating from the back to the front works best, anyway. But everyone needs to figure out what works best with their setup. Like Beefy said, having to get downed calves up is counterproductive.

Latest posts