lump jaw??

Help Support CattleToday:

nicole,
Not likely to be 'all because of worms'. Lack of adequate nutrition probably more of a player.
I've never lived/worked where liver flukes are a problem - I've seen ONE liver fluke in 35 yrs of veterinary practice and diagnostic pathology - in general, 'worms' will not kill an adult cow; impact performance, yes.

While ol' Yeller in the photo may have been wormy, she was likely not being maintained on an adequate plane of nutrition for her age, stage of production, and recent environmental conditions. And, although green grass is in the picture, she ain't out of the woods yet...though the propects are promising.
Can't see this cow's back end to tell if she's scouring or not, but if so, Johne's Disease would be a consideration. Additionally, when I see emaciated cows like that here, I'd want to test for BLV - it's not at all uncommon to see cows with BLV-associated lymphosarcoma wasting away fairly rapidly, despite being on an adequate plane of nutrition.

she is looking a lot better than she did. starting to gain a little weight back.has not had scours until this last week when the grass started coming out.( not to bad now) feeding 16% pellets to go along with her grazing.

this is the same cow that was limping late last year right before calfing, when she calfed she was fine but, she had twin bulls. would only take one, bottle fed the other. thats when she started going down.

scf84":2hippeef said:
she is looking a lot better than she did. starting to gain a little weight back.has not had scours until this last week when the grass started coming out.( not to bad now) feeding 16% pellets to go along with her grazing.

this is the same cow that was limping late last year right before calfing, when she calfed she was fine but, she had twin bulls. would only take one, bottle fed the other. thats when she started going down.

Sounds like Johnes. Get a Fecal test for Johnes. They can get better and then next time she has a calf it comes back, eventually she wastes away. If she has Johnes she is shedding billions of the bacteria all over. Not something you want your calves exposed to.

Latest posts